Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TinyHulk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
The Netherlands
I have the latest 11.6 MacBook Air 1.8Ghz with 4GB Ram and bought a MacBook Air External superdrive.

Obviously I use Mac OS X Lion since it was preinstalled.

I tried to install Windows XP 64-bit via bootcamp but bootcamp says only Windows 7 blablabla.

Since I want to use Windows for gaming I want Windows XP (more compatibility then Windows 7)

Can anyone tell me the steps how to do this? VMware and/or Parralells is not an option.

Thanks in advance :)

iExpensive

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
Las Vegas
Why are you installing a 10 year old operating system? Just install Tiny7.
Finding an answer for you could be a task because I've never heard of someone using windows XP in 2011

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
Exactly...why would you WANT to install Windows XP? It's the most virus susceptible Windows operating system...and its OLD.

It's like buying a shiny new Ferrari 458 and sticking a Chevy v8 350 carbearuated engine in it. LOL

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'm surprised you are using Windows XP 64-bit, since that version had a lot of compatibility issues. Anyway, is Windows XP Mode within Windows 7 Pro an option?

thatdrewguy

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Someone just posted the same thing as what you want to do on the the Windows on the Mac forum: Os X Lion Bootcamp and XP

TinyHulk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
The Netherlands
Oh I never worried about virusses since I only use it for gaming.

Okay lets forget Windows XP.

I tried installing Windows 7 (downloaded ISO but I have a genuine cdkey but I broke my disc) and after formatting the USB stick it stops half way when copying files. What is wrong?

30Two

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
New Zealand
Finding an answer for you could be a task because I've never heard of someone using windows XP in 2011

This is off a Gizmodo article on Hackers "There's also another reason that malware writers have surged: Microsoft Windows XP. That ancient system is, unbelievably, still the most widely used operating system on the planet. It's installed on more than 50 percent of all machines connected to the Internet, and it's very insecure."

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010

Well there are still a lot of corporations that still use xp and some of us own a copy of xp and would rather not shell out for a full copy of windows 7 just to run occasionally on a mac.

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Well there are still a lot of corporations that still use xp and some of us own a copy of xp and would rather not shell out for a full copy of windows 7 just to run occasionally on a mac.

I did it and guide written: here ya go

http://guides.macrumors.com/Windows_XP_on_MacBook_Air_2011

----------

I have the latest 11.6 MacBook Air 1.8Ghz with 4GB Ram and bought a MacBook Air External superdrive.

Obviously I use Mac OS X Lion since it was preinstalled.

I tried to install Windows XP 64-bit via bootcamp but bootcamp says only Windows 7 blablabla.

Since I want to use Windows for gaming I want Windows XP (more compatibility then Windows 7)

Can anyone tell me the steps how to do this? VMware and/or Parralells is not an option.

Thanks in advance :)

See my guide

http://guides.macrumors.com/Windows_XP_on_MacBook_Air_2011

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.