Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Could you guys go another year with the only improvement being AirPlay

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Why give it anything but a software update? The current hardware is capable of much more than what Apple is letting on to believe.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
There will be more software updates no doubt. That'll satisfy me...as long as they eventually fix the Tv Shows grouping/listing method. Utter rubbish right now.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Why give it anything but a software update? The current hardware is capable of much more than what Apple is letting on to believe.

You think a software update could make 720p films from icefilms run smoothly ?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

Apple doesn't care about pirated media. All they care about is their iTunes Store media, which plays back very nicely. If you're having trouble with your media, maybe your encoder settings are off or its having trouble streaming.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Apple doesn't care about pirated media. All they care about is their iTunes Store media, which plays back very nicely. If you're having trouble with your media, maybe your encoder settings are off or its having trouble streaming.

I was just joking with you intell lol

I do want them to add 1080p tho

I have a big tv and theres a big diff between 720p & 1080p

I can tell even with my bad eyes

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
My current theory, based on the Apple TV 1G and the 2G's "hobby" status, is that the hardware will remain the same for two more years. By then the iPhone 4, will be on its last firmware (7). Because the Apple TV 2 is an iOS device, Apple will stop updating it with the release of iOS 8. Then in the Autumn of the release of iOS 8, Apple will release new hardware to run iOS 8. This three year cycle will probably continue until Apple no longer deems the Apple TV as a "hobby". Of course I could be completely wrong and Apple will kill the Apple TV in September and replace it with a completely new device that poops rainbows.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
My current theory, based on the Apple TV 1G and the 2G's "hobby" status, is that the hardware will remain the same for two more years.

noooooo.jpg

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
I don't have a Blueray player, so I haven't seen much 1080p content and haven't been spoiled yet. The aTV still looks great to me, certainly comparable to anything that makes it through my cable company.

I'm pretty content with it as it stands and would rather they stick to a steady software upgrade cycle than make me buy a new box each year. I couldn't care less about Vimeo, but the iCloud TV Shows upgrade is nice. It would be great if they just continue to add more services and worry about the hardware later.

I think 2 years until the next hardware upgrade is probably realistic.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Could you guys go another year with the only improvement being AirPlay

Yes it , it does what I need it to do which is stream content from my library. They added Vimeo which is nice and the ability to stream from the cloub so I'm pretty happy with the Update.

Bill.the.Cat

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011

From what I understand Icefilms does not encode in h264/x264 so there is no hardware acceleration available on the ATV2. Unless that changes it is impossible for HD content from Icefilms to be played reliably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.