Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
Good!

What is so hard about playing by Apple's rules?

From JailBreaking to Slot Selling, why can't some people just play the way you're supposed to?

I love how people agree to the rules in order to download developer software, or activate their i-device, and then moan & groan when they are punished for not following the rules they agreed to!

I play by Apple's rules (and also don't use torrents or Napster-ish programs) and I absolutely LOVE my Apple devices and digital lifestyle.

If you don't want to play by the rules, or if iOS doesn't provide you with what you need (tethering, file system, notifications, etc.) Go elsewhere!

Please!

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
omg this happened to me last night! I lost my mind.

What happened was that I legally paid for a dev account but then decided that it wasn't for me, got a refund by apple but still had ios 5 beta 2 running. I should of been notified before losing almost everything on my phone, not smart by apple to do that to people who did actually pay.

Not smart to buy a developer account when you have no clue what it is you are doing.

delonh92

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
Liverpool NY
What is so hard about playing by Apple's rules?

From JailBreaking to Slot Selling, why can't some people just play the way you're supposed to?

I love how people agree to the rules in order to download developer software, or activate their i-device, and then moan & groan when they are punished for not following the rules they agreed to!

I play by Apple's rules (and also don't use torrents or Napster-ish programs) and I absolutely LOVE my Apple devices and digital lifestyle.

If you don't want to play by the rules, or if iOS doesn't provide you with what you need (tethering, file system, notifications, etc.) Go elsewhere!

Please!

Some of us are natural geeks and want to tinker with our device. I for one, like the feature of iOS 5 and want to try it out, but don't have $99 to throw down.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
As a developer running iOS 5 on my phone, I strongly urge non developers to refrain from spending the expense (albeit minor) and trouble obtaining iOS 5 beta. There just are too many issues, ranging from stability of the OS itself (random shutdown, performance, app crashes) to numerous incompatibility issues with 3rd party applications. The official release is probably just 1-2 months away.

YouArentJ

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2008
Orlando
You can downgrade. But you have to be in DFU mode and have the ipsw file on hand.

Next time do your research instead of spreading FUD:)

iTunes will download the IPSW for you, you don't have to have it... but you're right about DFU mode.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Too bad this sort of thing will probably mean more rules and tighter control in the future. I hope no legitimate developers were selling slots. Just shows lack of professionalism to those that did.

otissmithd

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011
The question is, is there anyone with beta 3 or higher that have had this happen to them? Right now it just seems like betas are expiring...

delonh92

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
Liverpool NY
As a developer running iOS 5 on my phone, I strongly urge non developers to refrain from spending the expense (albeit minor) and trouble obtaining iOS 5 beta. There just are too many issues, ranging from stability of the OS itself (random shutdown, performance, app crashes) to numerous incompatibility issues with 3rd party applications. The official release is probably just 1-2 months away.

i knew what i got into. i'm running apps that my uncle created :)

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
I think apple better keep working on sorting those bugs out, because iOS 5 was unsuable, I downgraded just 2 days after I used the beta, it was pretty much a horrible experience

same with Lion, god that thing is full of bugs... they should really get their asses back to the desk instead of hunting down fans that just want to try it out.. apple are a bunch of wankers sometimes

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Once you are on 5beta, you can't go back to 4.x

I thought I'd get downvoted. But with 5.0b on my phone, if apple disables it, and I can't go back to 4, how is that good for anyone? And how has someone who isn't selling slots, but just wanted 5.0beta on their phone hurting apple?

By having beta software that is strictly for developers and not for you to show off that's how. Get a clue, man.

gnagy

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2009
Some of us are natural geeks and want to tinker with our device. I for one, like the feature of iOS 5 and want to try it out, but don't have $99 to throw down.

So since you don't have $99, but you're a "natural geek" (As opposed to an unnatural geek), somehow that justifies you breaking the law?

iCrizzo

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Burlington, VT
omg this happened to me last night! I lost my mind.

What happened was that I legally paid for a dev account but then decided that it wasn't for me, got a refund by apple but still had ios 5 beta 2 running. I should of been notified before losing almost everything on my phone, not smart by apple to do that to people who did actually pay.

Impossible to get a refund for a developer access purchase.

LarzStarz

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
My iPad 2 was on Beta 2 and it got locked up a couple days ago. I figured the beta 2 had expired and I just haven't had time to try to fix it.

For the record: I am in the developer program, have not sold any beta slots, and did not receive a message from Apple regarding this at all.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
So since you don't have $99, but you're a "natural geek" (As opposed to an unnatural geek), somehow that justifies you breaking the law?

I agree. When beta2 came out, my license was about to expire. Although I don't develop for iOS these days, my curiosity got the better of me. I know, I know, bad me... So I renewed and installed b2 (then b3, then b4).

So any bad happens, it is totally on me.

Anyways, I suffer from Compulsive Updating Syndrome, so I don't expect staying on old betas very long...

REHUTTO

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Once you are on 5beta, you can't go back to 4.x

I thought I'd get downvoted. But with 5.0b on my phone, if apple disables it, and I can't go back to 4, how is that good for anyone? And how has someone who isn't selling slots, but just wanted 5.0beta on their phone hurting apple?

You actually can downgrade to iOS 4. I did last night when my iOS 5 beta expired. And... I actually did get a developer account the right way (paying for it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.