Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dilgit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
I've purchased the top of the line MacBook Air, 1.8GHz i7, 4GB Ram and 256GB SSD. The extra 64GB will give me a total of 320GB storage capacity, which in my case is not enough, so to maintain speed, I'll be using an additional external 1TB Thunderbolt HD when it's released.
Anyone else using a SDXC card and can recommend it?

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think all MBPs which have been released in the last 2-3 years are SDXC compatible.

jupebox

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2012
sdxc card

Storing the native instruments Kontakt library.

The sd card slot is invaluable if you're too cheap to buy the 256GB 13". Which I am.

hey, bud --

how'd the sdxc card work? it sticks out of the macbook air, so i wasn't sure how well that'd work. also, isn't the kontakt library pretty large -- like 70gb?

joel

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
hey, bud --

how'd the sdxc card work? it sticks out of the macbook air, so i wasn't sure how well that'd work. also, isn't the kontakt library pretty large -- like 70gb?

joel

Kontakt should be around 45GB.... How well it works, I have no idea.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
hey, bud --

joel

It worked ok, but after I wrote this I went and bought the 256gb Air, and the access time was a hell of a lot faster. Also, the card would cause intermittent errors when accessing patches, some just wouldn't load. The same thing happened when I used a USB hdd, Kontakt 6 doesn't much like having files externally stored, apparently.

macinhand

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Cheshire, UK
I use them for Photography!

It is the next new thing up from SDHC! where as SDHC was limited to 32GB the new SDXC card starts at 64GB and can go up to a colossal 2TB in a thing that small :eek: Plus it is much faster! in fact lightening fast! I use one in my Nikon D7000 and it will knock out 6 frames per second without lag :eek: Plus you are not limited to the length of HD video capture as you are with an SDHC card.

It's only draw back is the compatibility with multiple devices so make sure the one you buy is compatible! although you might be told a certain product is compatible with SDXC it is the size of the memory on the card that will define it's compatibility so ask what is the maximum size SDXC card it will accept! i.e. a SDXC 64gb card might work but a 128gb might not.

They work fine in my iMac and Nikon but won't work in a certain PC's and point and shoot cameras!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.