Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I just got it yesterday!!

Also, my battery capacity is almost 400 less mAh than I have seen in my friends same model MBA.

What should I do?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Coconut battery is also notoriously buggy and often inaccurate. You should just use your computer as you would normally. The difference in capacity may be correct, but not every battery will be exactly the same.

Last edited:

Vantagecb

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2008
Even if it was, it isn't like it has been used for the last 25 weeks. It might have been an early production. If so, it's been sitting in a box waiting for you since then.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Remove coconut battery and enjoy your macbook air. Follow some simple best practices with your battery, and be done.

fyi. I believe coconut battery has not been updated with the latest serial numbers of the airs, which is why your date is all messed up.

docgerrard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Remove coconut battery and enjoy your macbook air. Follow some simple best practices with your battery, and be done.

fyi. I believe coconut battery has not been updated with the latest serial numbers of the airs, which is why your date is all messed up.

will do

i have read the battery faq, but would you mind outlining what you mean by simple practices? :)

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
There is/was/has been a problem with Coconutbattery showing the Age of MacBooks.

According to the app my MacBook Air was built in early February. Which would be damn near impossible since the Intel Sandy Bridge 2677M wasn't even shipping then.

I wouldn't worry about it. Every laptop I have used over the last 3 years has been strangely old according to Coconutbattery.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
will do

i have read the battery faq, but would you mind outlining what you mean by simple practices? :)

When you are next to your magsafe, plug it in. If you are always near the magsafe, then just unplug it every so often (once a week is fine). Every month or so, run it down for a full charge.

The two main things to consider is you want to exercise the battery every so often, and you need to calibrate OS X every so often (there are instructions on how to do this on the apple site).

I personally use my macbook air closer to how I use my iPad. Unplugged a lot. By the time the battery is used up, either I'll be happy to give apple a couple hundred bucks for a new one or it'll be time to upgrade. =) 1000 cycles is a lot (3 years of once a day). I don't want to have the toyota prius symptom with this thing (where people are always watching the batteries instead of just driving normally).

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
CoconutBattery reports data gathered from your very own computer, it doesn't make anything up. The time shown in the app simply shows how old the BATTERY is, not the actual computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.