Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cadius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
Hey, I recently purchased a 2011 MBA 13", and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a protective case/shell? I'll be traveling later this month and I want to get something to help protect it from wear and tear along the way. I already have a carrying case, so looking for something thin and light.

I've been looking at the Incipio Feather, but it doesn't seem to be getting fabulous reviews online (with what little reviews I could find), and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this one, or a better alternative?

go4theko

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
California
i just bought the waterfield sleeve case from SFbags.com Great quality and offers great protection. only downside is that it gets pricey once you start adding things on to it. Definitely worth it if you want to protect your investment

Cadius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2011
While these are great suggestions, I already have a pretty good carrying case. I was looking for more in the lines of a protective shell rather than a sleeve.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
While these are great suggestions, I already have a pretty good carrying case. I was looking for more in the lines of a protective shell rather than a sleeve.

Incase perforated, Speck see thru satin owner. Both are going back. They add too much weight to the air. The Speck is too fragile--that plastic will split (see Amazon reviews). I fully concur. The Incase perforated is thicker, and I think that it is made better and fits better. It, however, looks ugly to me and is borderline seizure-inducing with its rows of dots. Also unsure about the heat factor with the Speck. The Incase should not have any problems with that....either way, $60 for the incase is insane.

IXDoubleDXI

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Central Florida
I've had the Speck Satin See thru in Black on mine since i got it about two months ago. I use it everyday, no cracks or splits. I've never used the MBA w/out it, so I can't confirm if it causes an increase in heat. The bottom of the MBA gets warm, but that's about it.

leepetersonuk

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
I use the Speck See Thru, used since day 1. Does add a little bulk and I have noticed if I'm doing video editing it gets hot (it probably would anyway with encoding). No issues with splitting or cracks. I also picked up a cheap neoprene case on eBay.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
I think the Speck See Thru case is great on my MBA. I also use them on my MBPs. It's much thinner on the MBA and it probably does cause it to run warmer, but not so warm that the fans become audible.

If it feels warm on the base, then that's not necessarily bad as you can feel the heat being conducted through the shell.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
I finally decided on the Joli case and a SF Muzetto bag for my 11" Air. I thought that combo provided the best style/protection for when I am out and about.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Pad and Quill "Cartella" case. ;)

Pad-Quill-The-Cartella-img2-640x425px.jpg

It looks like a Moleskine notebook, if that's your thing. The cover is also a solid piece rather than simple neoprene or foam.

If you want a lot of protection, I can't recommend the L.A. Robe sleeve enough. :)

http://store.apple.com/au/product/H4013ZM/A

That's what I have, and I'd toss that thing in any bag, any time. It's made of this memory foam stuff, so I can exert quite a lot of pressure on it (either with my thumb, or I can punch it with my knuckle), and if I put my hand inside the sleeve while I punched or pressed it, I wouldn't feel much pressure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.