Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chr

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
This doesn't answer how they'll handle merging MobileMe accounts to existing Apple IDs or if that's even an option, nor does it explain what they're going to do with mail aliases. Those are the two things I'm concerned about.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
I'll be happiest if they provide a means for current MobileMe subscribers to take advantage of iCloud simultaneously. I rely on the online photo gallery and other tools not being incorporated into iCloud and am not in a hurry to replace some of them (though I do have a DropBox account, so iDisk's absence won't be a problem). As someone that has used Apple's cloud services since day 1 of iTools, I am at least glad they are putting the old business model to rest in a manner that shows some appreciation to current users.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
This doesn't answer how they'll handle merging MobileMe accounts to existing Apple IDs or if that's even an option, nor does it explain what they're going to do with mail aliases. Those are the two things I'm concerned about.

I'm worried about this as well.

I have a MobileMe account that I use for mail, contacts, and calendar.
And then I have another Apple ID (that I had before MM) that has all my songs, apps, and videos on it.
Why isn't there a way to merge these?
What am I supposed to do when iCloud comes out if I want my calendar synced with my MM and my music synced with my AID?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Hmmm... I wonder, will the average customer also be transitioning their MobileMe account to iCloud? Because my MobileMe account is different from the Apple ID associated with iTunes. No doubt that would cause problems.

So. Confusing. :confused:

krischik

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2010
For me the wrong way around

As I said in the other artice: For me this is the wrong way around.

Gallery and iDisk where the most important features. Luckily I did not use iWeb all that much, just a hand full of pages. But still I will miss it.

So I will downgrade the family account when the time comes.

Unfortunately I can't upgrade to Lion as there too many of my apps require Rosetta.

I have one of those as well. The Epson Scanner software. So it won't be Lion until the scanner coughs it. And no, Preview is no alternative. The white balance is always off to the blue. Besides the “Scan all old Negatives” project is not finished yet and the original software can scan 4 negatives at a time.

Last edited:

tblrsa

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
Great to hear, Mobile Me payed of well for me. Thanks Apple. Still sad to see Gallery, iDisk and iWeb go though.

andi242

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
any hint on migrating all email addresses?
will mac.com & me.com emails be available on iCloud?

Nord

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
ZZ Bottom said:
So there is no iDisk equivalent in iCloud? That really sucks. I use mine for random file transfers and was essentially the one convenience I felt justified paying for. Guess I have to jump on the dropbox bandwagon.
QuarterSwede said:
You should've jumped over a long time ago. iDisk isn't in the same league as Dropbox, it's that much better.

I don't agree. Dropbox is not better, its faster. But when you read the Terms and Conditions of DropBox and how impossibly difficult and blurry it is to permanently delete files that you've already apparently deleted, not to mention where are your files and how long they stay online and who's property they've become, then it's obvious that the iDisk was much clearer on this and had no ambiguity what so ever. Apple did no such thing as to claim files you downloaded on iDisk theirs, whereas "you grant [Dropbox] (...) worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable rights to use, copy, distribute, prepare derivative works (...) of, perform, or publicly display that stuff to the extent reasonably necessary for the Service". A deleted file on iDisk was deleted, period, and it didn't belong to anyone but you.
In short, DropBox is worst from a T&C and privacy concern point of view, which is what really matters.

OK, granted, they've changed it since then. But the mere fact that they've put it in the first place makes it untrustworthy. How do the new terms and conditions prove they still don't do it anyway ? Just because it's written otherwise ?

That's the reason I don't like "cloud-only" companies, because you never know and can never know what becomes of your files in the long way. And it has nothing to do whether you have something to blame yourself about or not. Even if you're clean, who wants one's pictures sold unbeknown for commercial purposes ?
Overall, "The Cloud", frankly, I think that's a stupid name. How are you suppose to trust a cloud ? If it's suppose to be a metaphor or rather an analogy, there's nothing more unstable than clouds. Apart from making shadow, a heavy sky is nothing but trouble ahead: rain, snow, hail, thunder, and it's very close.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
I'm worried about this as well.

I have a MobileMe account that I use for mail, contacts, and calendar.
And then I have another Apple ID (that I had before MM) that has all my songs, apps, and videos on it.
Why isn't there a way to merge these?
What am I supposed to do when iCloud comes out if I want my calendar synced with my MM and my music synced with my AID?

Then you use icloud to sync your contacts, calendars and mail and then use your apple ID for you music, apps and books? I don't know what's so hard to understand about this. They are two completley different "sign in" accounts under settings for iOS 5.

Hmmm... I wonder, will the average customer also be transitioning their MobileMe account to iCloud? Because my MobileMe account is different from the Apple ID associated with iTunes. No doubt that would cause problems.

No. It won't cause problems. You sign into the "store" settings to download your apps, music and whatever else media. You sign into " ICloud" with the ability to use whatever account you want. For example, my family has 1 iTunes account that we all use for apps and music. But everyone has their own, individual iCloud account for out contacts, calander, mail, data and whatever else ect.... Each has our own ICloud "data drive" completly separate from anyone else but share a single family apple ID for purchases so everyone gets to everything. Pretty cool with auto downloads, you never know what's gonna pop up;)

Last edited by a moderator:

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
Yay for free 20GB

5GB goes a long way. 93apps, and a bunch of photos, iCloud backup is only ~350MB, apps themselves aren't backed up, just settings and data associated with the app. Music isn't backed up either don't think

Apps and Music don't count towards your 5 gigs (presumably because they're re-downloadable at any time, thanks to iCloud.)

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
.Mac Email

any hint on migrating all email addresses?
will mac.com & me.com emails be available on iCloud?

When you use the migration tool from mobile me to icloud it says it will send across your mobile me (and if you have one .mac email address). Then when you use the mail app in the cloud you can choose what identity to use...

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W

This has already been discussed in detail. You'll just have two accounts that run side by side, iTunes purchasing apps and music and cloud managing every thing else. Kind of like what you're doing now.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I still can't beleive iWeb support is going. Apple sold me on a mac because of the ease of iWeb and now they're taking it away. I don't see why. What's next GarageBand?

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
I don't agree. Dropbox is not better, its faster. But when you read the Terms and Conditions of DropBox and how impossibly difficult and blurry it is to permanently delete files that you've already apparently deleted, not to mention where are your files and how long they stay online and who's property they've become, then it's obvious that the iDisk was much clearer on this and had no ambiguity what so ever. Apple did no such thing as to claim files you downloaded on iDisk theirs, whereas "you grant [Dropbox] (...) worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable rights to use, copy, distribute, prepare derivative works (...) of, perform, or publicly display that stuff to the extent reasonably necessary for the Service". A deleted file on iDisk was deleted, period, and it didn't belong to anyone but you.
In short, DropBox is worst from a T&C and privacy concern point of view, which is what really matters.

OK, granted, they've changed it since then. But the mere fact that they've put it in the first place makes it untrustworthy. How do the new terms and conditions prove they still don't do it anyway ? Just because it's written otherwise ?

That's the reason I don't like "cloud-only" companies, because you never know and can never know what becomes of your files in the long way. And it has nothing to do whether you have something to blame yourself about or not. Even if you're clean, who wants one's pictures sold unbeknown for commercial purposes ?
Overall, "The Cloud", frankly, I think that's a stupid name. How are you suppose to trust a cloud ? If it's suppose to be a metaphor or rather an analogy, there's nothing more unstable than clouds. Apart from making shadow, a heavy sky is nothing but trouble ahead: rain, snow, hail, thunder, and it's very close.

Yes, I have the same concerns with dropbox, and would not store any data the was in anyway confidential. Mind you if push came to shove I'm not sure that apple should be more trusted. It just likely has more to loose reputation wise if it did something shady.

I would be a little uneasy letting confidential data from apps going to the cloud.

oneofmany

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
Adelaide, South Australia
Lost faith with Apple after 10 years!

The loss of iDisk sucks big time.

Not too stoked with Apple, I've always wanted to upgrade to Apples new OS as they come out but Lion looks so drab and the features don't excite me what so ever.

If I want to transition from MobileMe to iCrap next year I will have to downgrade to Lion. I've always enjoyed using MobileMe, I've had sync issues but have sorted them out in the end and iDisk has been extremely useful to me for storing office documents, I cant really see Microsoft incorporating documents in the cloud into Office for Mac.

Guess I'll have to start using Drop Box.

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009

I've been told at Apple and I think Jobs say's it in the keynote that as with .mac when it became MobileMe, the @me and @mac account name can and will continue

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
If you can't upload data to the new cloud like you do with iDisk, what do you use the new space for?

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
As a UK mobileme user, i definitely feel that we are losing out in a big way here....

With no itunes in the cloud announced for the uk yet it could be a case of sitting with 25GB of space but not a lot to sync to it!!

That on top of still using Snow Leopard i may be missing out on alot!!! :(

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Other than dropbox is there any decent solution that offers iDisk storage file storage and ability to host your websites (iWeb/freeway pro published), and share your photo collections cross platform via HTML interface with slideshows etc. (mobileme gallery)..

I have yet to find one solution for all, that will take care of this for me...

I don't mind spending the money, MobileMe's services are genuinely a real loss for some of us, and even though we have till June 2012 - I've started looking for a reliable / elegant service to replace it fully and haven't found anything as good yet.

As a UK mobileme user, i definitely feel that we are losing out in a big way here....

With no itunes in the cloud announced for the uk yet it could be a case of sitting with 25GB of space but not a lot to sync to it!!

Ireland probably worse. We still don even have an iBookStore let alone the chance of iTunes Cloud service anytime before 2015. :( :(

It does feel like were getting the rough end of the stick this side of the Atlantic.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I'm with a prior poster, without gallery or iDisk, what the heck do I need 25gb on iCloud for??

Are all my apps eventually going to be able to write their data to it and use it up that way? I can't see them filling it up, but at least it will help.

And in the same Rosetta boat as someone else, I just don't have the money to upgrade those apps at the moment. I feel really irked that Windows users get to go back a version in OS but we Mac users probably won't be able too.

Oh well, I have until June 2012 to sort it out....

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK

That on top of still using Snow Leopard i may be missing out on alot!!! :(
I think we're all entitled to a refund on any unused pro-rata'd MobileMe if we cancel our subscription before June 2012. This would mean you lose the extra 20 gigs but would get your money back instead!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
How do I cancel my Mobile Me sub?

I actually paid it by accident (I took out the free trial and forgot to cancel until it was too late and they took the money for the year!) Dohhh..

To be honest I've never use it, as the storage space is so small it's laughable. So I'd like to get my money back anyway.

As a side note, I was looking around at other cloud storage, and esp free ones, and found ADrive here:

http://www.adrive.com/

They give you 50GB of online storage space for free if it's just basic person use you want.
I know nothing about them, and have not opened up an account myself yet. But may be interesting for some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.