Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forrie

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
I used "lsof" to identify the directory that was being downloaded to. In this case, Xcode.

/var/folders/wj/hy_57h_n12z3nt4r_c2hgfp00000gn/C/com.apple.appstore/448457090/

As you may (or may not) know, there is a slight bug in how Apple's App Store handles Xcode. If you happen to own multiple systems, as I do, you will only be able to install Xcode once. Unless you create other IDs to log in to the App Store with on other systems, which really creates more problems.

I've been emailing Apple support about this and they are positively ******** clueless.

Anyway, the files that are being downloaded now are:

mzm.iyofpska.pkg

which is an "xar" archive format.

When the download is done, I'm not sure what to do with it to facilitate installation. I did a "xar -v -f" and see the contents as another *.pkg -- so perhaps I just use that to do the install.

That is, if I can grab it before the App Store program deletes.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
yeah, i understand where the application itself is, but where is the .dmg file?
or does the app store download/install/then delete the install file?

For many apps, it just downloads the .app file and then (upon first run) creates the library folders. For some apps, it downloads the .dmg file, then automatically deletes it after installation.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Hold OPTION while selecting Mac LION icon in appstore. keep holding while clicking on the install button.

this will re-download the file.

This will work so we can make another copy to boot on a USB thumb drive? Even if I alread am running Lion?

tofeeq

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
For a more detailed location on where the AppStore downloads the files -->

You have to have Hidden Files SHOWING!!!

Macintosh HD \ private \ var \ folders \ xv \ ttygflms2w1frc41jvtd85zc0000gn \ C \com.apple.appstore

This is where AppStore downloads and stores files before installation.

NOTE: some of the filenames could be different than mine (ttygfl... and C)

Hope this helps.

Thanks, this is where I found my Xcode 4.1.1 on Mac lion app store.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So is there a way to change the download location? In my case I actually do need to download to a different drive because my boot drive doesn't have enough free space.

Anyone know how?

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Is it possible to hard link the download directory to a directory on another volume?

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
So is there a way to change the download location? In my case I actually do need to download to a different drive because my boot drive doesn't have enough free space.

Anyone know how?

if go to:- otherworldcomputing.com there's an item called "remaking the classics" (relocating your home folder in osx 10.5.x.leopard and later). It gives way of locating home folder on another drive if using ssd & hdd. I suppose it could be used to relocate download folder also.

XP1

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
After the app installs, the temporary files are deleted. I have been trying to save the downloaded temporary files for the past couple hours.

I have figured out how to do it (on OS X 10.6.8):

After clicking the app install button, pause the download.

Open Terminal.

Between each command, you can run this to see if the ACL is present at the bottom.
Code:
ls -adel ~/Library/Application\ Support/AppStore

After you pause the download and have opened Terminal, enter this ACL:
Code:
sudo chmod +a "everyone deny delete,delete_child,file_inherit,directory_inherit" ~/Library/Application\ Support/AppStore

Resume the app download. After the app has downloaded, the temporary files will not be removed.

Close the App Store.

Copy the temporary files now.

After you have copied the temporary files, remove the ACL:
Code:
sudo chmod -a# 0 ~/Library/Application\ Support/AppStore

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The original poster wrote:
"my reason for this is i like to keep all my software backed up on a separate drive."

Well, if this is all you -really- want to do, just do this:
- Get an external drive
- Get CarbonCopyCloner
- Use CCC to create a bootable clone of your main drive onto the external

That's it.

Now, all your apps (and personal data, system software, etc.) are stored on an external drive in POFF (plain old finder format). If you need something, like an app, just mount the backup and "copy over" what you need via the Finder….

desertcrystal

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
Australia
Alternative Answer for App Store (v1.2)

While the App Store is downloading applications, files are temporarily stored under:
/var/folders/*

When installing applications or updates, files are temporarily stored under:
/Library/Updates/* (best place to get the updates from)​

Of cause these files are all purged/deleted once the App Store has finished downloading and installing. There's one other possible work around though - if you're quick, you can open up Terminal and execute the following during the installation of any updates (not before, not after). This will copy all the App Store install files/folders into your Downloads directory:
cp -av /Library/Updates/* ~/Downloads/

I've been considering creating a launchd script or app to do this automatically but with all my other jobs, it's low on my todo!.. :)

Reactions: XP1

Kori

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2004
The files are downloaded to

/Users/<USERNAME>/Library/Application Support/AppStore/

and once complete moved to

/Applications/

Is this also correct for the OS downloads? I purchased 10.7 from the app store and installed it, but now cannot find it on my HD. I don't have that directory in my username or root Library.
The App Store says it is "Downloaded" but doesn't offer a chance to download again.

Later -
I found the "Install Mac OS X Lion.app" as a 4gb file in Applications, but not as a dmg. That makes a problem. I bought a diskless iMac locally and I have to somehow install the OS on a blank HD. Apparently I have to install 10.6 before I can install 10.7. Unfortunately my 10.6.3 dvd has become defective and won't install.
So any ideas on how to get a fresh copy of 10.6 so I can then install 10.7?

Am I confused, or is loading the OS to a clean maching getting a lot more difficult?

More Later -
I found that there is a "Recovery Disk" when I start the machine with OPTION pressed. I had to sign into the app store and now it is "Downloading Additional Files", with an estimated time of 107 hours.

Last edited:

AJTEX

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2011
For a more detailed location on where the AppStore downloads the files -->

You have to have Hidden Files SHOWING!!!

Macintosh HD \ private \ var \ folders \ xv \ ttygflms2w1frc41jvtd85zc0000gn \ C \com.apple.appstore

This is where AppStore downloads and stores files before installation.

NOTE: some of the filenames could be different than mine (ttygfl... and C)

Hope this helps.

Many Thanks, this was exactly the answer I was looking for!

d-b

Suspended
Feb 8, 2013
/Users/<USERNAME>/Library/Application Support/AppStore

I don't have the AppStore directory in my Application Support catalog. Any idea why? This is on 10.7 and am downloading Mac OS X 10.8 from App Store (at 3 out of 4.5 GB now so something should definitely be stored somewhere on my harddrive).

d-b

Suspended
Feb 8, 2013
I don't have the AppStore directory in my Application Support catalog. Any idea why? This is on 10.7 and am downloading Mac OS X 10.8 from App Store (at 3 out of 4.5 GB now so something should definitely be stored somewhere on my harddrive).

After working a bit in the terminal

% sudo find / -type f -size +2500M -exec ls -lh {} \; | awk '{ print $9 ": " $5 }'
I found the ongoing download of my Mac OS upgrade here

Code:
/private/var/folders/wg/6s5g5xb55yn1h23nhkpv3vkr0000gp/C/com.apple.appstore/537386512/mzps6834472212485075800.pkg

johnsawyercjs

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2007
Here's the current answer to this question, from http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...ind-and-clean-up-partially-downloaded-content

The temporary location that stores downloading files varies between computers. Here's how to find it:

• Start a rather large app store download
• Open Activity monitor, and select the storeagent process
• Open the Inspector (press the "i" button, or ⌘+i)
• Select the "Open Files and Ports" tab, and scroll to the bottom
• Select the path that starts with /private/var/folders that contains com.apple.appstore from the beginning, up to and including com.apple.appstore
• Open Terminal and type open [paste path here] and hit enter
• From here, you can see all the temporary files the Mac App Store has made. You can get info on each one to see their sizes, and dispose of them accordingly.

energyboy

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2014
I'm gonna have to figure out a way to save the DMG file from the recent Vox 2.0 update, it works near perfectly for me and don't want to see it get messed or replaced with a different design!

qbit9

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2007
To restore your copy of the Lion backup from an external drive called Azure, and from a directory on that drive called Lion:
1. Bring up a terminal window and type the following commands:
cd /Applications
mkdir Lion
cd /Volumes/Azure/Lion
find . -print | cpio -pmdv /Applications/Lion
2. This will take a few minutes. Wait until it is complete.
3. You may close the terminal window now.
4. In the finder, navigate to /Applications
5. Change the name of the directory, Lion (that you just created and moved 3.7GB of files into) to Install Mac OS X Lion.app

The command "find . -print" spits out a list of all directories and files visible from the directory in which this is executed. The vertical bar (called "pipe") sends that to the next command on the line. The command cpio is a handy, general purpose directory compacter and mover. The options do the following:
- p "pass" This means to pass the files from one place (where you execute the command) to another place (the final argument to the command)
- m This means to maintain the modification dates of the files. This might be optional, but I'm just in the habit of using it all of the time so that things like my iTunes music maintains its dates, etc.
- d This means that a directory is expected as the final argument for where to pass the files to
-v "verbose" This means to list all of the directories and files on stderr, which, in this case, is the terminal window. This actually isn't necessary, but seeing the file names blow by gives me a nice warm feeling that cpio is actually doing something.

If you do this correctly, the permissions of the resulting .app directory should be correct. But, in the event that they are not (it isn't executable by you) then change the name back to something without any spaces in it (such as Lion), bring up a terminal window, navigate to the directory that it (cd /Applications) and type chmod -R 777 Lion, which will set the read, write and execute bits for everyone on your Mac. Then close the terminal window, bring up the Finder, navigate to /Applications and change the name of Lion back to Install Mac OS X Lion.app.

To install Lion: from the bar at the bottom of the screen, click on Applications (towards the right) and click on the Lion icon to install Lion onto the Mac.

Sorry, this contains some poor advice. I would HIGHLY recommend against using chmod -R 777 on any directory unless you are FULLY aware of what you are doing. If the target is a folder, the -R tells chmod to recursively set the same permissions on ALL files within that folder including any in any subfolders ... deep. Most Mac apps (i. e. "files" with the .app extension) are actually just special folders that the finder presents to you as applications. If you right-click on one to bring up a contextual menu, you will find a menu item "Show Package Contents...". Inside you will find all kinds of stuff, some executable code, and some simply data. By using chmod -R 777 on an app, you are basically saying to OS X, "Make every file in this .app folder, and every subfolder within, executable and editable by everyone." Not really a good idea, especially when dealing with an OS installer.

Best heed the advice of a subsequent poster and simply drag and drop the installers to copy them. If you are concerned about storage space, you could right click and compress them into .zip files before copying.

And for those of you who like to show off your unix knowledge, please make sure you actually know what you're talking about before doing so.

bart.

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
Hi guys,

a quick question from me. I'm downloading FCPX via AppStore, however I had to pause it for a while.
As I'm resuming it now I got....parallel downloading (old one and new one).
After pausing and resuming it once again, only the new one is downloading and the old one disappeared.

I would like to check if the downloaded part was purged properly...SSD you know ;)

Any idea how to do this?

bart.

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2012
UPDATE. Yeah, I have finally downloaded and installed the FCPX however there is still remaining 800MB (from the first downloading I believe) in /var/folders. How can I clean it up manually?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.