Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corbriwild

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
I bought an iPhone from ebay and the description included an unlock card (gevey-3) but did not say anything about it being jailbroken. I'm wondering if I can easily unjailbreak it. I know that it being jailbroken will void the warranty but the unlock card does not. So in case anything happens to it I want it to have warranty.

Can I just simply restore it in itunes or will it brick it?

macplace10

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
In order to 'Vanilla' / unJailbreak an iPhone you must Restore it in iTunes then, perform an "Erase All Content and Settings" then, setup as 'New iPhone’ in iTunes.
Residual jailbreak files will be visible to the Genius Bar if you ONLY 'Restore.'
Restore it to factory setting then sync it with your computer and all apps will come back.

To Restore iPhone using the latest version of iTunes.
• Connect iPhone.
• When it appears in the Source list, click on Restore in the Summary tab.

To Erase All Content and Settings:
• On iPhone, Tap Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings
Note: This will delete all media and data. All settings will be reset as well.

pitchman

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
Restore Data?

Once this Erase All Data has been done and the new iPhone profile is created in iTunes, I can see how calendars, pics, songs, and contacts are restored, but how about app store applications and other things like recently made calls and text messages. These are things that will restore to a phone, I can see how they might be restored if you use the old profile to restore info. If you do that though, will these "residual" jailbreak files also transfer?

ninjabox

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2009
It can be done

Once this Erase All Data has been done and the new iPhone profile is created in iTunes, I can see how calendars, pics, songs, and contacts are restored, but how about app store applications and other things like recently made calls and text messages. These are things that will restore to a phone, I can see how they might be restored if you use the old profile to restore info. If you do that though, will these "residual" jailbreak files also transfer?

Yes, if you restore your IPhone from Itunes with the jailbroken software still saved it ITunes, it will copy everything back, however you can do this. Erase all data using the steps mentioned above first. Then Delete ITunes from your machine, (everything you have purchased from apple, will be available for you to down load again the purchase will tell you that you have all ready purchased it and allow the free download). Reinstall Itunes, hook your phone up to the machine and setup as a new phone and restore then, you will download a new ipsw file from apple and not be able to restore your broken profile....crappy part of doing all of this is going to download all of your purchases again. I will say that if you have a lot of items in Itunes you can move those items from the library to a different location before uninstall, then when you reinstall you can import them back...saving time and not having to redownload

johnnyxhuynh

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2006
Houston, TX, USA
Just to clarify: is it necessary to remove and then reinstall iTunes to completely remove residual jailbreak files? Or "Erase All Settings and Contents" and then setting up as new iPhone sufficient?

frontman

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
You can delete the previous backups from iTunes, I would do this rather than delete the whole application.

Yes9900

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
What about:

I want to jailbreak my phone but want to keep everything intact.

Ok....What about "syncing and erasing" all settings on my computer #2 Then jailbreaking it on comp #2. this would keep all my purchases and contactcs etc on computer #1 intact. AND if I decided to quickly swith back I could erase everything on computer 2, THEN take my phone back to computer 1 with all my original settings and be back in the game.... Am I on the Right track ?

Jailbreaker

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
You can unjailbreak just like deleting apps

1.Go to cydia
2.install cydelete
3.go to settings
4.scroll down and tap cydelete
5.where it says protected applications
6.turn off cydia by tapping the switch at the side off
7.hold cydia as if you were going to delete an app
8.click on the cross and tap ok
9.if some jailbreak programs stay just delete them.
No computer needed.

macmulisha

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2008
florida
1.Go to cydia
2.install cydelete
3.go to settings
No computer needed.

Used this today! So easy...Thanks!!

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
1.Go to cydia
2.install cydelete
3.go to settings
No computer needed.

That DOESNOT "unjailbreak" the phone. LOL

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
1.Go to cydia
2.install cydelete
3.go to settings
No computer needed.

You Sir need not too not share your Jailbreak tips with others. You are No Jailbreaker

domnuprofesor

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
Clear steps to unjailbreak iPhone without loosing messages, contact data, etc

Hi there,

I have a 3GS iPhone with greenPoison. I want to unjailbreak it without loosing messages, contact data, media files, etc but I also want a clean start without any extra files originating from the jailbreak.

Can someone please provide the steps in order to do this?

Thank you very much!

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
1.Go to cydia
2.install cydelete
3.go to settings
No computer needed.

hahahahaha emm nope.

I guess you are NOT the Jailbreaker more like Failbr3aker

TS, just restore as NEW w/ iTunes and you are good to go.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You can't. If you want it clean, you can't keep previously saved data. Unless you're taking it to the apple store, the residual traces are fine.
Hi there,

I have a 3GS iPhone with greenPoison. I want to unjailbreak it without loosing messages, contact data, media files, etc but I also want a clean start without any extra files originating from the jailbreak.

Can someone please provide the steps in order to do this?

Thank you very much!

domnuprofesor

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
I just updated my iphone from 4.2.1 to 4.3.5 using itunes with no previous backup in it.

I have all my contacts, sms etc buy does this mean that I lost all the extra files the jailbreak put on top? I've took a quick look with iPhone explorer and couldn't find any cydia related files or folders. Hope they are gone, the phone is much smooter now as well, it gets me a good feeling but I want to make sure.

Can anyone give a sure answer?

Thank you.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
I just updated my iphone from 4.2.1 to 4.3.5 using itunes with no previous backup in it.

I have all my contacts, sms etc buy does this mean that I lost all the extra files the jailbreak put on top? I've took a quick look with iPhone explorer and couldn't find any cydia related files or folders. Hope they are gone, the phone is much smooter now as well, it gets me a good feeling but I want to make sure.

Can anyone give a sure answer?

Thank you.

DFU mode restore in Itunes as new 100% gone! anything else can't be sure!

tibi34

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
hey i want to unjailbreak my iphone 4 when the iOS 5 comes out or sooner. will my cracked apps will be deleted?thanks

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
hey i want to unjailbreak my iphone 4 when the iOS 5 comes out or sooner. will my cracked apps will be deleted?thanks

subject of cracked apps not allowed this is why your other post was reported before. stop asking and start paying! :rolleyes: it's a damn 99 cents for most of them.

MrBrian87

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Can we clarify: if I do a "erase all" then re-sync, will I lose my old sms messages? Or are they in a back-up that I can pull them from?

ryanlyma

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2011
Will it turn to Brick?

I have a 3Gs running iOS 4.1, and I really want to get 5.0 for it.

Honestly, I have never wanted to jailbreak my phone, the it's the roaming fees that force me to do it so i can use it abroad.

I have tried to unjailbreak it be restoring, and every time it ended up turning my phone to brick by staying in the 1015 error loop.

Does anyone know what I did wrong? How can I ensure to have my phone unjailbroken the right way?

Thanks!

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
I have a 3Gs running iOS 4.1, and I really want to get 5.0 for it.

Honestly, I have never wanted to jailbreak my phone, the it's the roaming fees that force me to do it so i can use it abroad.

I have tried to unjailbreak it be restoring, and every time it ended up turning my phone to brick by staying in the 1015 error loop.

Does anyone know what I did wrong? How can I ensure to have my phone unjailbroken the right way?

Thanks!

sounds like you are trying to downgrade the firmware. get TinyUmbrella and when you get the 1015 error open TU and then click on your device in the top left then click kick out of recovery. your 1015 error will be gone and your phone will restart

ryanlyma

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2011
sounds like you are trying to downgrade the firmware. get TinyUmbrella and when you get the 1015 error open TU and then click on your device in the top left then click kick out of recovery. your 1015 error will be gone and your phone will restart

Thanks for the suggestion!
I've tried that every time I get stuck, but it never worked. When I try to restore it, it gets into this nonsense of 1015, 1600 and a string of errors that has something to do with SHSH and stuff. I am really worried it might happen again, thats why I am asking for a walk through here from someone who knows what might have gone wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.