Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
My mother and I are going to pick out a new MacBook Pro for her today. The Apple Store is an hour away, and Best Buy is right around the corner. Is there any good reason not to go to Best Buy or doesn't it really matter?

Thanks! :)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
My bias is to use the Apple Store rather than Best Buy, even if it is a longer drive. My experience is that if you have any questions, the Apple Store people can answer them far better than the boobs at Best Buy. Those folks really know zip, whereas the Apple folks (at least at the store that I frequent) are helpful and knowledgeable.

Considering that you are going to drop a serious amount of dough, I think the extra time spent in the drive will be time well spent.

I'm sure your mom will enjoy her new computer. :D Your mom sounds pretty cool. :cool:

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
It doesn't really matter however if you have a lot of questions or want to get a one to one appointment an apple store is the way to go

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
The Best Buy by my house are ok. It's the people who do no research who have the issues. I also have no issues with the Apple people in Best Buy, again the one I go too the guy is great.
Gas is too high, I say just go to Best Buy and get it.

Or just order from Apple.com

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I've already answered all of her questions and we know what we're getting. I just didn't know if there were any downsides buying from Best Buy as far as warranty details or anything.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
No difference. I'd go with the one that's closer. Don't let BB suck you into their warrantee program.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
The only reason to buy from the Apple store is if you want to sign up for the classes. Besides that, I would buy from Best Buy and get the Reward Zone points.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
No difference. I'd go with the one that's closer. Don't let BB suck you into their warrantee program.

I don't think it's all that bad. A guy brought his Macbook (2 years old) to work and it fell on the ground as another guy drove by, and it was ran over beyond repair.
He had the Best Buy warranty and walked out with a new Macbook. How is that a bad thing?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I find it very annoying to buy things from my apple store. go with BB it doesn't mattere

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I just didn't know if there were any downsides buying from Best Buy as far as warranty details or anything.
AFAIK, the two main things Best Buy doesn't offer but Apple does are the $100 printer rebate (which can snag you a free printer, if you buy the $99 model) and One-to-One training.

All Macs come with an included one-year Apple warranty. Best Buy will probably try to sell your their own extended warranty, so read up on the differences between that and the AppleCare extended warranty (if you're interested in a warranty, that is). :)

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
If you are a student, Best Buy is offering a $100 gift card to match Apple's promo with their $100 App Store card. Whichever one is more important...

Also, as another user above has mentioned, Amazon is tax free and they are also about $60 off retail to begin with.

OR, go to microcenter and get a base MBP 13" for $999 if there is one close by.

rcordes

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
SoMD
open box items

For what it's worth, I just bought an iPad2 from BB that was an "open box" item and got a 20% plus 10% discount. I ended up getting the iPad2 plus the AV adapter and a smart case for less than the normal price of the iPad.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
go with BB if they are closer ... just do not fall for their crying, whining, begging for you to buy their warranty ... then get AppleCare later on (within the first year) from Apple.com

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I agree that you should try BB first. The local BB has an Apple guy there consistently. He's an Apple guy, not a BB guy hanging around the Apple stuff. Since you know what you want, it makes sense to save the time and gas and buy from BB. You can even buy AppleCare from BB and just ignore them when they try to tell you their extended warranty is better. Better than AppleCare? Please.

Later if you decide you want 1 on 1 you can take the drive to the Apple store and they will treat you every bit as nice as they would if you had bought your machine from the Apple store to begin with.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I don't think it's all that bad. A guy brought his Macbook (2 years old) to work and it fell on the ground as another guy drove by, and it was ran over beyond repair.
He had the Best Buy warranty and walked out with a new Macbook. How is that a bad thing?

My mistake! I ment the buyback program. BB insurance is a good deal indeed.

peoplevoice

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Best Buy (pay not interest) plan

BB has a very interesting pay not interest if paid in full in (18-36) months financial plan.

Sometimes is 18 months other 36 moths and I'm not sure if there are 24 months too.

I had the experience to buy a MacBook Pro 17 in 2009 to be paid in 36 months.

libertyranger10

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
What you should do is tomorrow (The 8th of August) is buy a Kindle with Special offers. They are running a promotion that you can get 20% off any laptop on Amazon right now. Check out the macbook air forums and you'll see a thread about this. I just ordered a macbook air (the 1299 model from apple) for 987 on Amazon.

How it works is that if you have Kindle with Special offers, you can request a code for this promotion. Then go to amazon and select the macbook you want and apply the code. I say you should do this by august 8th because thats when the promotion expires. Also, you can return the Kindle no problem.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
If you are a student, Best Buy is offering a $100 gift card to match Apple's promo with their $100 App Store card. Whichever one is more important...

Also, as another user above has mentioned, Amazon is tax free and they are also about $60 off retail to begin with.

OR, go to microcenter and get a base MBP 13" for $999 if there is one close by.

I think the $100 BB gift card is much more versatile than the app store gift card if you need peripherals or other tech items. The app gift card is nice - but then you just end up purchasing apps you really don't need.

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
I would pick the Apple Store. However I'm biased as I can't stand Worst Buy...don't like store policy or any sales people. Kind of smarmy IMO.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I say Best Buy... why waste the gas? You can still bring it to the Apple Store for repairs... and you can get 18 months no interest financing and Best Buy reward Zone points... 1200 bucks nets you 20-25 bucks in store credit to spend back at Best Buy again...

I take advantage of all the good deals there... I never see any good deals at the Apple Store besides the Student discount... but I'm 10 years past being a student so it does me no good. If you buy from Apple get refurb. :)

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I think the $100 BB gift card is much more versatile than the app store gift card if you need peripherals or other tech items. The app gift card is nice - but then you just end up purchasing apps you really don't need.

This is true, OP, you could also use the card for accessories like a case.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
If you have no questions, go to Best Buy.

If you have questions, go to the Apple Store. At our local Best Buy I went to look at some Apple machines and the sales guy (not knowing that I used to work there long ago) kept telling me all kinds of wrong information about Mac's (even though I never asked him for help). It was kind of annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.