Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Hello

What would be a good First Person Shooter that is entertaining, addictive and fun to play on the Mac, not interested in using bootcamp, just on Mac, anything Wine, Cider etc is OK.

Thanks

Last edited:

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
"Good FPS" is really subjective, some players think 60 is good, others claim that they need over 100 to play well, etc.

"Playable FPS" is still subjective but much less so. It depends on the game and then engine, but I will just toss out numbers from my experience - ≤10-15 FPS is choppy, 16-25 is still choppy but playable, 25-35 is decent, 36-59ish is good, 60-80 is great, and 80+ is stellar. That's just some dumb scale I came up with sitting here thinking about my past experiences, though again, it depends highly on the game and its engine.

In any case, a consistent lower number is usually better than a number that jumps around at higher levels in my opinion. Some may disagree but I have always had better results doing so. For example, if you were to get 40-55 FPS, capping it at 40 would provide better results, flow, and consistency than letting it hop around would. Not proven of course, just something I like to do, it just feels better in some games.

Hintze

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
"Good FPS" is really subjective, some players think 60 is good, others claim that they need over 100 to play well, etc.

"Playable FPS" is still subjective but much less so. It depends on the game and then engine, but I will just toss out numbers from my experience - ≤10-15 FPS is choppy, 16-25 is still choppy but playable, 25-35 is decent, 36-59ish is good, 60-80 is great, and 80+ is stellar. That's just some dumb scale I came up with sitting here thinking about my past experiences, though again, it depends highly on the game and its engine.

In any case, a consistent lower number is usually better than a number that jumps around at higher levels in my opinion. Some may disagree but I have always had better results doing so. For example, if you were to get 40-55 FPS, capping it at 40 would provide better results, flow, and consistency than letting it hop around would. Not proven of course, just something I like to do, it just feels better in some games.
hehe, I think it´s quite obvious that he talks about First Person Shooter, and not Frames Per Second.
you might wanna try out CSS, half life2, TF2, UT2004

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hello

What would be a good FPS that is entertaining, addictive and fun to play on the Mac, not interested in using bootcamp, just on Mac, anything Wine, Cider etc is OK.

Thanks

I believe TF2 and L4D should be played an awful lot. TF2 for a "community" shooter, L4D with buddies. And all is well.

eobet

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
Borderlands. Having literally over a million weapons to find in the game makes it pretty addictive. :)

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Team Fortress 2 because it is free and will last you hours and hours. I started playing about 3 weeks ago and only playing on and off I have clocked up over 40 hours so far.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
There are so many FPS games that the answer depends on what type of FPS you prefer and to a lesser extent, what Mac you will be using to run them.

Personally I like co-op games like Left for Dead 2 and Killing Floor, both available on Steam.

For single-player, I am enjoying Bioshock from the App Store.

Also playing through Nova 2, although that game is comparatively simple due to it being a port of an iOS game. Still, the price is right and it will run on any Intel Mac.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
hehe, I think it´s quite obvious that he talks about First Person Shooter, and not Frames Per Second.
you might wanna try out CSS, half life2, TF2, UT2004

Riiiight, haha. My bad.

You listed some good titles, and there's COD as well.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Hello

Thanks for the replies so far, but abbreviations, aaarrgghhhhh, I hate them, and also do not know what some are :(

TheBoors

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
COD call of duty
CSS counter striker source
TF2 team fortress 2
L4D left 4 dead
UT2004 unreal tournament 2004

I think this is it!

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?

Not sure if its a misunderstanding, or he's just trolling...

Anyways, this thread should answer your question...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1200508/

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Call of Duty 4 is a fun game which is well-playable on pretty much every 2008+ Mac.
I used to playit on a 2008 MBP, setting lowered (1024x760 or so), but about 30 FPS.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I will play Bioshock for Mac now. I started this game twice, but never finished it. Now I will finish it until the end.

Finish it now... would you kindly...

[This request makes sense only when you have completed the game]

Edwin

SantaRosa2.2

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Somewhere in Florida
THis is what I currently have for FPS. THese all run natively for OS X. I don't use bootcamp. All are great games in my opinion.

Rage
Prey
COD2
COD4
COD Black Ops

I also can run all these games on my 2011 MBP full screen maxed perfectly, My specs are in my sig below

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
I'm a fan of Quake 3 Arena mods. Many of these have become standalone games such as Urban Terror and Smokin' Guns.

Urban Terror (UrT) has a large player community and includes an updater to easily patch the game.

UrT has fun over realism gameplay. The models and weapons are based on real examples but movement is exaggerated to create a run-n-gun style of play.

http://www.urbanterror.info/home/

The team is working on releasing a new version of UrT called Urban Terror HD with updated graphics and game play.
________

Smokin' Guns is a western style FPS that has unofficial support for Mac. Currently, the Mac binaries don't run on Lion/ML.

http://www.smokin-guns.org/
________

Navy Seals Covert Operations is a Quake 3 mod similar to Urban Terror but with a style and gameplay similar to Counter Strike. The game shares lineage with Counter Strike given that one of the developers of the Counter Strike mod produced the first Navy Seals mod for the original Quake.

Navy Seals Covert Operations also works with Open Arena. Using Open Arena and the Navy Seals Covert Operations mod files, I have made a self contained application bundle using Automator that launches directly into the Navy Seals Covert Operations mod.

The application bundle needs to be placed in the /Applications folder to function properly given the limitations of the shell script run via the Automator application bundle.

To set custom screen resolution, launch the in game console using the ~ key. Then use the following commands:

/r_customwidth XXXX
/r_customheight XXXX
/r_mode -1

BTW, I don't continually host a game server so it is possible that you may have to start your own. This game doesn't supports bots and no servers seem to be online but it does make for some good LAN play if you have a group.

Download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/801xuhzv4mjba55/TrueCombat.dmg
_________

I also sometimes play CS 1.6 via wineskin. The only tweaking required is installing tahoma, corefonts, allfonts via winetricks to get good reliable game play. Other tweaks may add more improvements but I haven't tried any.

If you don't already have CS 1.6 or don't want to try using wineskin, CSS has a Mac version.
________

UT2004 has a mod called Frag Ops that is similar to CSS. I haven't tried playing it given that I don't have UT2004 and haven't been willing to get it just to try this mod because I don't know if the mod still has a player community.
________

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
What a surprise to this thread pop up again.

I posted it in August 2011.

Thanks for all that, but I have moved on since originally posting it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.