Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnhackworth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
UK
In the UK the 11" ultimate is £1399 and the 13" ultimate is £1449.

This makes the 11" approx only 3.5% cheaper than the 13". Even if the 11" fits your needs better it seems to me that it is very poor value compared to the 13".

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
In the Netherlands it's even worse: 11" ulti costs €1599
the 13" ulti costs €1598,99
So an 13" costs 0,01 less...

But otoh, you'll get the same computer with the same processor, memory and ssd, but it will be about 10% smaller. And sometimes smaller is more expensive. Or at least smaller doesn't need to be cheaper.

Just compare it to a jar of peanut butter, if you buy a small jar, you'll pay more per pound than if you buy a larger jar.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't see how price has anything to do with it. IMO, they should be the same price if the basic hardware specs are the same.

I didn't get the 11" MBA because it was cheaper. I bought it because it's the one I want.

johnhackworth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
UK
I don't see how price has anything to do with it. IMO, they should be the same price if the basic hardware specs are the same.

I'd expected the materials cost to be reflected in the price to a greater extent. Bigger battery, bigger screen, more aluminium etc. I guess there's a trade-off between paying for higher materials costs and paying a premium for miniaturisation...

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
If "Price" is affecting which Apple product someone is purchasing then they're doing it wrong.

Its always odd when someone buys an iPhone 3G or an 11" Air due to it being cheaper because, especially with Apple products, your purchase decision should be based on needs rather than saving a few bucks.

Last edited:

johnhackworth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
UK
If "Price" is affecting which Apple product someone is purchasing then they're doing it wrong.

Its always odd when someone buys an iPhone 3G or an 11" Air due to it being cheaper because, especially with Apple products, your purchase decision should be based on needs rather than saving a few bucks.

I'm sorry but that's just absurd. Most people choose products based (partially at least) on what they can afford. If more people only spent what they could afford the West would not be in such a bad economic place.

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
I'm sorry but that's just absurd. Most people choose products based (partially at least) on what they can afford. If more people only spent what they could afford the West would not be in such a bad economic place.

LOL there's a lot of truth to that last sentence in regards to myself ;P

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I'd expected the materials cost to be reflected in the price to a greater extent. Bigger battery, bigger screen, more aluminium etc. I guess there's a trade-off between paying for higher materials costs and paying a premium for miniaturisation...

I would imagine they make a lot more 13" models, too. That would make them cheaper.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

This makes the 11" approx only 3.5% cheaper than the 13". Even if the 11" fits your needs better it seems to me that it is very poor value compared to the 13".

For my usage, the small size & light weight are the key features of the MBA. I would pay a premium for the 11" over the 13" because the 11" is the superior product for my needs

/Jim

YEEZY

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
Wow, never knew the differences were so small, but I don't regret the 13 at all. It's been nice to me and the screen is perfect (although it gets really dirty easily)

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Its not absurd at all. Apple is a premium product so its customers choose them because they can afford to, not because they NEED to.

If someone is in an economic crunch then why buy this years shiny Apple product over a cheaper Windows machine or even an Apple refurb? Its not like theres secret doors in the internet that only Mac users can access or that owning a Mac raises you a letter grade. Computers are a necessity, Macs are not.

Esquire1

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
For my usage, the small size & light weight are the key features of the MBA. I would pay a premium for the 11" over the 13" because the 11" is the superior product for my needs

/Jim
Same. I don't use laptops bigger than 11". Portability and a small footprint is the most important thing to me when purchasing a laptop.

bigp9998

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
Manufacturers of Windows computers have charged a premium for smaller machines for years. The 15 inch computers have always been the best values, and you would pay extra if you wanted a 13 inch or a 17 inch. Apple, on the other hand, makes you pay for the extra screen real estate even if it costs them more money to put smaller parts inside.

And its ridiculous to suggest that money should not pay a role in any Apple buyer's purchase. If it didn't, we would all be buying new computers every time a new one came out. Some people on this forum do, but many people, especially students, hope to buy a Mac once for just over $1000 and use it for 4+ years.

Bottomsup

macrumors regular
May 10, 2011

I didn't get the 11" MBA because it was cheaper. I bought it because it's the one I want.

2nd

The OP Presumes the 13" is better. It is for some but I wanted the 11" after having the older 11".

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
You should always buy what you need. Not what you can afford. Yes Apple is more expensive then others. But there is no way around it and that is why you again only buy what (Apple product) you need. I would not buy the 11" ultimate because i would not need it. For me it would be the bas 13" because its the least expensive choice for a MB* suiting my needs. Sometimes we break the "need rule" but you should not break the "afford rule". Greece, listen! ;)

Geetarpicker

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2011
In the USA the price difference is $50. I guess one way to look at is on the 11" you are paying a premium for miniaturization. That said, I first bought an 11" ulimate but simply felt too cramped on the short screen. I returned it, paid the extra $50 and went home with the 13"

adnoh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2010

If you're looking for good value for money then dont buy apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.