Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Who is using a Windows based PC to run their Home Theater, or Media Server, just curious how it works because I just got my hands on a PC with a 2.5 Quad Core Core 2, with 6 GB Ram and 3TB of disk space, and wondering if this would be better then my 2009 Mini with a 2Ghz CPU C2D with 4GB and 500GB/External 2TB?

Oh Yeah the machine is running Vista 64-Bit Home Premium version

imswimmin

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2011
IF you use it, first order of business is to update it to Windows 7 64 bit!!! Vista is slow and clunky.

+1 Windows 7 will definitely prevent a few headaches that Windows Vista has to offer.

Aside from that, it does seem like a pretty solid machine for running either your home theater or media server. I personally have not gotten around to doing it, but have considered setting one up in the near future.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You do not need to waste money on win7, vista will do what you need it to do without a hitch. The disadvantage of windows ove osx is virus's etc but as long as your downloading legit stuff it's fine!

dnelms

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
McGee's Crossroads, NC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You do not need to waste money on win7, vista will do what you need it to do without a hitch. The disadvantage of windows ove osx is virus's etc but as long as your downloading legit stuff it's fine!

I'll disagree in that while he may could "get by" on Vista, Windows 7 makes things so much easier and is many times more stable as an OS. Networking is so much better, overall I just think it would be money well spent if he uses it. Add Plex to it and think he'd be set.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I have Win 7 on a cpl machines and have used Media Center a lot. There was a time where it was my main entertainment interface. Definitely upgrade Windows. The media center experience improved from Vista.

In my opinion for most media center uses you will not notice much of an improvement between the two machines. The one exception is DVD ripping to hard disk. The more powerful box will likely help there.

Since about 2008-2009 i have reduced my usage of media center in favor of OS X running on a mini. I use Plex as the main UI and a EyeTV device for recording. Even that is getting less use as the Apple TV2 has come online. Netflix is just too easy.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
When forced to use Windows than Windows 7 all the way, the best windows operating system so far. However I do think that unless you have a big reason for the Switch I would stay with the Mini and be happy with it.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
IF you use it, first order of business is to update it to Windows 7 64 bit!!! Vista is slow and clunky.
Definately update it to Windows 7. There are some substantial improvements to the WMC application in 7. Also, if you don't have one already you'll want the Microsoft remote control and IR receiver. I think I spent about $25 bucks on mine from PC Alchemy.

Its a good system. I have retired mine for a ATV 2 and a stand alone Bluray player. But, the Windows Media Center is\was a good approach.

lazer310

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
I have my Media server running XP! It has iTunes running all the time, to serve all my ripped DVDs and BDs to the Apple TV. I also have Air Video Server running on it, to serve up downloads that are not in mp4.

It's an AMD II X4 840 running at 3.2ghz, 2 gigs of ram, and 2.5 TB of HD space. Works great for my setup.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
I have my Media server running XP! It has iTunes running all the time, to serve all my ripped DVDs and BDs to the Apple TV. I also have Air Video Server running on it, to serve up downloads that are not in mp4.

It's an AMD II X4 840 running at 3.2ghz, 2 gigs of ram, and 2.5 TB of HD space. Works great for my setup.
Sure, for a media SERVER thats just fine. As I understood the op's post he was looking to use the system as a media center front end. For that, the upgrades of Windows 7 would be substantial compared to Vista, much less XP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.