Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutcopypaste

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
I have a Canoscan LiDE 80 scanner.

The website doesn't seem to offer support past OSX 10.4.. however I'd been using it in Snow Leopard through the (horrible) CanoScan Toolbox app (never bothered to look at specific OS compatability). However that app is a PowerPC application, so as far as Lion goes, I'm out of luck with that.

I wondered, though.. is there any way I might get this scanner working? It would be a shame to have to go back to SL just because of this one piece of hardware..

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
And people say Lion isn't Apple's Vista...

And how does this apply? It is at least a 4 year old scanner model, that Canon hasn't developed the drivers for. Officially they don't support Windows 7 64 bit (try finding a system coming with anything but 64 bit these days), so they have abandoned Windows users as well (although you can run it in XP mode). This is a Canon issue. I won't disagree that Lion has issues, but to say it is Apple's Vista because it no longer supports older third party equipment is not really fair. I read comments from 4 years ago when Mac went from OS9 to OSX and Canon's response at that time was run under Rosetta or by a new scanner. Shows Canon has a greater hand in this than Apple.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Try VueScan. I had to use it before when my scanner didn't have a driver available for the version of the OS I was on. It's a good program and supports many kinds of scanners. I checked and it looks like yours is on the list, and it looks like they recently released a new version of VueScan that says it works with Lion. Make sure you double check before you buy it, though! Check it out here http://www.hamrick.com/

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Can you use "Image Capture"? it does what I need it to do with my Brother printer/scanner. There might be some settings that are not accessible.

But then again, I don't scan anything professionally, so I just may talking out of my arse... :D

cutcopypaste

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
I used Image Capture briefly and it didn't seem to be detecting anything.. I might see if I can dig a little deeper though. VueScan might be an option, but I'm not keen on spending 40 bucks to make my scanner usable again.. probably smarter to put that towards a new one.

And yeah.. Canon does seem pretty brutal with this..

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I used Image Capture briefly and it didn't seem to be detecting anything.. I might see if I can dig a little deeper though. VueScan might be an option, but I'm not keen on spending 40 bucks to make my scanner usable again.. probably smarter to put that towards a new one.

And yeah.. Canon does seem pretty brutal with this..

I have an Epson scanner and when I upgraded to Lion I simply went under the Printers System preferences and added the scanner. I then dragged the scanner from the system printer preferences to the dock. Try that and see if it works for you.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Try VueScan
Explicitly not supported. The makers of Vuescan have updated compatibility information for Lion, stating Lide 80 needs Canon drivers installed - which are PowerPC only.

SANE lists this model as not supported, too.

An unfortunate situation - but the scanner was released in August 2003, so it's already 8 years old. And while it would be nice if Apple supplied Rosetta with Lion, I see it rather as Canon's failure to support this model.

Last edited:

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I wondered, though.. is there any way I might get this scanner working?
From your posting history I gather that you used VMware Fusion in 2010.
Do you still have it, in a Lion-compatible version, that is?

Canon do provide Windows drivers for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7 for Canoscan Lide 80.
Best and easiest bet, I suppose.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Try SANE

http://www.sane-project.org/

Lets me use my decade-old Canon scanner with Image Capture.
When giving advice, it is usually expected that the advice will be helpful. AppliedMicro had already checked-out the TWAIN SANE site and found that the Canon LiDE 80 is explicitly not supported. AppliedMicro is correct. What is more, TWAIN SANE supports a few Canon scanners, but the vast majority of Canon scanners are not supported--not the OP's LiDE 80, not my CanoScan 8600F. The OP did nothing to deserve your sending him on a wild goose chase. Please don't do it again.

fawlty

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
New Zealand
When giving advice, it is usually expected that the advice will be helpful. AppliedMicro had already checked-out the TWAIN SANE site and found that the Canon LiDE 80 is explicitly not supported. AppliedMicro is correct. What is more, TWAIN SANE supports a few Canon scanners, but the vast majority of Canon scanners are not supported--not the OP's LiDE 80, not my CanoScan 8600F. The OP did nothing to deserve your sending him on a wild goose chase. Please don't do it again.

Sorry. I will be more careful next time.

peterjohndean

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2007
Canon LIDE 80 workaround

The only way I have found is to keep a bootable copy of Snow Leopard- switch to it when you need to use the LIDE 80 and run Canoscan Toolbox X. A bit cumbersome but it does save buying a new scanner.

Last edited:

cutcopypaste

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
thanks for the input guys. it's not as though I use my scanner a whole lot, so using it under an install of windows might be the way to go. I have removed my virtualization for now since I don't currently need it for work/school and was trying to free up some harddrive space.

Evidently there's no point in waiting on Canon to get their stuff together..

anotherpaul

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2011
another old canon scanner: 8400F

I finally got the 8400F working on a Mac mini w/8 gig memory; its the new/mid 2011 & my 1st Mac to see what it is like & use the Darwin unix funtions. The 8400F is not supported by Canon as per their doc file (au = australia or even the canon site in europe).

After some searching & mistakes, I found/got the old drivers for the 8400F for the the Mac OS 10.6.x & just tried it out along with the "toolbox" software at Canon. Worked just like it is supposed to as I did a couple of scans of my receipt for the Mac mini, 1 using the color mode & another using the black & white setting. When the scanner is turned on, it showed in the "print & scan" for me to select; the "open" even was able to checkout the scanner!

The driver is located at "driverscollection.com"; at the top of the website is selecting the 1 alphabet of the manufacturer; & one just need to follow the instructions/procedures. I'm bookmarking the site as I did remember something about years ago; or something similar.

No guarantee that any driver will work with your machine, but is a jackpot for my 8400F; had even thought of getting a new scanner even if it worked in my win7 machine.

Regarding the 8600F, Canon's support for drivers & software has the versions available for Lion; I had tried it in false hopes of getting it to work with the 8400F.

Not all is lost, yet.http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon7.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.