Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pink pants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Hi guys,

i just moved to UK from Japan and I have a japanese iphone 4 on softbank network.

I have tried to unlock it using Ultrasnow 1.2.3 but unfortunately it doesnt work for my baseband. :mad:

I have also tried using the Gevey Supreme unlocking sim. Unortunately this hasn't worked either. :mad:

I want to eventually use my O2 Pay As You Go sim card in my iPhone. :confused:

My phone details are:-

iPhone 4
Version: 4.3.3 (8J2)
Modem Firmware (Baseband): 04.10.01

Could anyone please help me out as I am really eager to get my iPhone working! :p

Thanks!!!! ;)

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Is your iPhone currently jailbroken? Was it jailbroken when you tried the Gevey Supreme?

Pink pants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Is your iPhone currently jailbroken? Was it jailbroken when you tried the Gevey Supreme?

Hi,

Yes my iPhone is currently jailbroken, and it was jailbroken when i tried the Gevey Supreme. Do you think this could be the problem?

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
No because it is supposed to be jailbroken when you use the Gevey Supreme. Did you get any error messages, what exactly happened when you tried to use the Gevey Supreme? It is supposed to work with all base bands, regardless of what country the iPhone is from, as far as I know.

Pink pants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
No because it is supposed to be jailbroken when you use the Gevey Supreme. Did you get any error messages, what exactly happened when you tried to use the Gevey Supreme? It is supposed to work with all base bands, regardless of what country the iPhone is from, as far as I know.

Well we ran through the setup as the online videos and Gevey said. The Gevey message came up, but only after a lot of switching airplane mode on and off. After that I kept getting "invalid sim", "sim error" and "no sim" messages. I tried different variations of the set up as I had read in other forums. I can't figure out where it is going wrong!

As far as I know the supreme should have worked :'(

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Also beware Gevey will not work above 5.0 Beta 2. So if you want to remain unlocked be careful unless they figure something else out! I honestly think the Dev-team is done with unlocks at least until we get some new hackers. I think allot of fault belongs to the people that feel they are owed jailbreaks and unlocks. We aren't owed anything hope yes expect no.

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Also beware Gevey will not work above 5.0 Beta 2. So if you want to remain unlocked be careful unless they figure something else out! I honestly think the Dev-team is done with unlocks at least until we get some new hackers. I think allot of fault belongs to the people that feel they are owed jailbreaks and unlocks. We aren't owed anything hope yes expect no.

I bet my iphone, macbook that they're on Steve payroll!

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
No, why bother wasting time on unlocks and such when iPhones in the state can be factory unlocked now?

Because you have to paid full price for factory unlock. If you sign contract which is a big discount and you only paid 159 vs 650! Plus many of us are traveling to other country and needed to be unlock! I wait and wait and wait for dev team to release but they fail so I actually went and buy the factory unlock version(32gb) with tax came up to 879! :(

Pink pants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011

I was aware that I would only be able to take the unlock so far.

It would just be nice for me to carry on using my Japanese iPhone if I could.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
No, why bother wasting time on unlocks and such when iPhones in the state can be factory unlocked now?

Op is in UK. Why would you suggest getting official unlock from the ''State"?

Moreover, UK iPhones is also unlock or can be unlock through carrier. There are lots of countries that sell official unlock with the "State". I hope you know that there are other places out there other than the "State'.

pacnorth206

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
similar situation

I'm in a similar situation as pink pants, but I have not jailbroken my iphone. I would like to use the iphone 4 I bought in japan in the US. At a minimum, I need to unlock the phone. The specs on my phone are the same as his:

iphone4
version: 4.3.3 (8J2)
Firmware: 04.10.01

I recently purchased an ATT microsim card. Given several other threads I have read, I have just purchased the GEVEY Ultra from applenberry and read both their written instructions and watched the video.

I have a question concerning using the manual vs. automatic unlock. In the manual version, no jailbreak is required but one needs to dial "112" during the unlocking process. The automatic version requires the jailbreak, but does not require dialing "112". Can someone please explain the significance of dialing "112"?

I am new to this and appreciate help.

Tech Elementz

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2011
I'm in a similar situation as pink pants, but I have not jailbroken my iphone. I would like to use the iphone 4 I bought in japan in the US. At a minimum, I need to unlock the phone. The specs on my phone are the same as his:

iphone4
version: 4.3.3 (8J2)
Firmware: 04.10.01

I recently purchased an ATT microsim card. Given several other threads I have read, I have just purchased the GEVEY Ultra from applenberry and read both their written instructions and watched the video.

I have a question concerning using the manual vs. automatic unlock. In the manual version, no jailbreak is required but one needs to dial "112" during the unlocking process. The automatic version requires the jailbreak, but does not require dialing "112". Can someone please explain the significance of dialing "112"?

I am new to this and appreciate help.

The 112 is essentially part of the process. However, calling 112 is like calling 911. The reason why you have to do this, I don't know, but follow instructions correctly while calling 112 so you don't actually connect the call to emergency services. You only have to call them for like 2 seconds I believe then end the call. At 2 seconds, it should not connect, which is why its still legal. If the call connects, you may be liable for being in trouble...

pacnorth206

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
Thanks for the response.

So if I choose the manual unlock using the GEVEY ultra chip and get everything to work, what are the restrictions compared to the automatic unlock (after jailbreaking the phone)? Do I need to re-unlock the phone if I turn off the power? Can I still use ITunes to sync my phone (as long as I don't install new software or firmware)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.