Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miketheg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Hi all,

I just got one of the new 11-inch MBAs two weeks ago. 4 GB ram, 128 GB hard drive. Recently, I've started getting an error when I start my computer, saying that my "startup disk has no more space available for application memory." I was pretty confused as to what could be causing it, as all I've put on my computer is about 25 gigs of music, movies, and photos. The only apps I've installed are Microsoft Office and KOTOR. But all of a sudden, my "other" hard drive usage has jumped to 64 gigs. What could be causing this, and how can I fix it? It may be something incredibly basic; as of tonight, I've used a mac for about 2 weeks, so I'm still feeling my way around the new OS.

Thanks for any help!

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I just had this problem! I'm still working on it, but I've been using a utility (as suggested by another member here) called Disk Inventory X.

What took up a lot of space for me was all the apps from my iPhone/iPad that copied over (I just copied all my Music from my iMac Time Machine backup... so thusly, everything in iTunes was copied over). Since I don't need them on my MBA, I just deleted it all. Also, for some reason a lot (or all?) my music had duplicates. If you go to File > Duplicates (I think), it'll show all your songs that are duplicated.

I've gone from ~11GB free to ~34GB free. I'll keep ya' updated though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.