Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevethorne143

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham
Apple Birmingham Store

There are unconfirmed reports that the Apple Store in Birmingham's BullRing has been looted, although i cant confirm that :/ i hope its been left alone, but apparently rioters broke into the Bull Ring, and its the most valuable store in the shopping center. Ill have a look tomorow, if it's open, that is

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
I been watching this all day and its disgusting. Absolutely no excuses, put every one of them in jail, its too bad they can't deport these thugs onto some forsaken island :mad:

I imagine all those who fought in the war to protect London from burning down in flames are turning in their grave when they see their grand kids are the ones that eventually will.

MrPresident

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
Manchester
Reminds me of the Los Angeles riots. Police completely surrounded the crappy neighborhoods, so they could only riot in their own neighborhoods. The "nicer" parts of town were more or less untouched. Gotta love the priorities.

If you actually watched any of the coverage you would know the "nicer" parts of London are the parts being targeted. Seems that most of the rioters are kids from all over the city looking at getting a new T.V with no clue who Mark Duggan is.

Still, there are some similarities.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
What!!?? I live in London I took a flight out from Heathrow to Belize three days ago....all seemed peaceful when I left!

Im reading the news now and I still don't have a clue what we're meant to be rioting about!

Anyway.... back to my Pina Colada....

Ha ha, no worries lad. All will be in place by the time your done drinking.

Seriously though London, WTF?

FBGraham

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
So the poor riot because there's no money for them, and what are the police protecting? The flagship store of a company with cash reserves of over 75 billion dollars. Capitalism.

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
Quoting this: "They burned down a Sony distribution centre in Essex". :eek:

Apparently there were rumours about them attacking Kingston, Apple Store there could be affected too if true.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
So the poor riot because there's no money for them, and what are the police protecting? The flagship store of a company with cash reserves of over 75 billion dollars. Capitalism.

This isn't a protest, it's criminality - violence and theft.

How many jobs has that 75 billion dollar company created globally?

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I'd rather this not become a PRSI thread, but, the riots are over a man who was shot, after a Trident operation.

Gang troubles, etc - but seen as a racial targetting/profiling issue.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
not to be rasist, but many pics on TV show black/asian people commiting these loots, but there are some white people,

I see. I think it's funny these people claim they don't get enough back from the government, they should try living in the US. It's called get a job people.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
shouldn't this be on Nov 5 :p

All kidding aside, I understand the protesters original fight but don't understand the need to vandalize other people private property...

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
not to be rasist, but many pics on TV show black/asian people commiting these loots, but there are some white people,
This might have more to do with the area the riots are happening in though...

Either way we all know the riots started off over as a serious matter and have just turned into something else for these youngsters who want to take advantage of it, absolutely sickening!

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I'd rather this not become a PRSI thread, but, the riots are over a man who was shot, after a Trident operation.

Gang troubles, etc - but seen as a racial targetting/profiling issue.

That was the cause of a peaceful protest on Saturday and possibly the riot in Tottenham on the same day.

Riots on Sunday and Monday seem to have been entirely opportunistic criminality - theft and vandalism. Kids have taken the example and gone out there, since they've seen the lack of police action.

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
this is what happens when you build glass houses. i thought they're 'magical' glass - impenetrable ;)

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Although I live in London I think finally everyone is realising why I hate it and want to move elsewhere. :rolleyes:

Well, if you're looking to move - try out Vancouver. Riot free since - - - June.

In Vancouver's case it was just bored kids, imo, who thought they could get their jollies knocking a few cars over and grabbing some swag. What really struck me was that the majority of people in the riot were there to get their photo taken in front of something burning or overturned. Very sad.

Also, most of the people now arrested for the Vancouver riots seem to have come in from the outskirts. And were most were clueless and wore absolutely no disguises.

I suspect that when the London riots are done, they will find most of them commuted in. Interesting to note that the London rioters are more practiced.... they all seem to be wearing masks or scarves to hide their identity.

Best wishes to Londoners. Those of us who like and know London know that this has nothing to do with what London truly is like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.