Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
eBay will be in meltdown with listings for iPhones, iPods and MacBooks described as 'unwanted gifts' ;)

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
yeah it's pretty mad here right now. Just went to my local corner shop for some milk and it was on fire!

To quickly answer peoples questions. . . . it is meaningless violence and theft being conducted mostly by the young (All races, mostly poorer people) it is sparking up all over the city simply because, with the police stretched so thin, they can get away with it. It initiated 3 days ago with a more peaceful protest regarding a police shooting of a young man. The protest was basically hijacked by groups of violent youths. The riots, or rather theft and fire starting, that continue today have no relation to the shooting.

It is a sad evening to be a Londoner.

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Damn, there goes my master plan to sit in the store and go throughout all the boxes to find a Samsung screen/SSD MBA.

On a serious note.. It is pity for London. I have best memories from the place. Hope it will all be finished soon...

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
When you use austerity programs to try and lift you out of deflation.
Spot on mate.

So you'd rather the government default on its debts, and be unable to pay any public service workers, benefits, etc at all? These are just idiotic kids who're on the state benefits, with nothing better to do, upset that the government isn't giving them as much free money.

They should shut down the cell networks, call in the forces and get this handled by morning.

This needs large and fast attention.

That's what I say too, but they won't, someone might get hurt and sue the police.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
That was the cause of a peaceful protest on Saturday and possibly the riot in Tottenham on the same day.

Riots on Sunday and Monday seem to have been entirely opportunistic criminality - theft and vandalism. Kids have taken the example and gone out there, since they've seen the lack of police action.

I think I am with the sentiments of others ... deploy the Army.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Wow, that is nuts.

Funny how computers can take priority over so much other wanton destruction.

Wonder if these guys are off duty cops hired by :apple:? It happens.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
Maybe future Apple stores will have some more stone and steel, rather than energy-wasting glass.

Good thing Microsoft doesn't. Whoops! Nevermind.

af6e973757fd497ff3b00015c89f952c85145c4c_wmeg_00001.jpg

Microsoft Store - Oak Brook, IL

Let's not forget the Regent Street store is located in a protected historical building and had to pass a rigorous proposal process when plans were submitted. Had Apple changed the façade, you would probably claim Steve Jobs doesn't respect landmarks just as you have in the past.

Last edited:

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
Wow, that is nuts.

Funny how computers can take priority over so much other wanton destruction.

Wonder if these guys are off duty cops hired by :apple:? It happens.

Of course they are hired by :apple:
I would think once :apple: got the full SP on the riots they have taken action to miniumise loss!

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
Two weeks from now a shell suited scum bag swaggers into an Apple Store.....and straight upto a Genius (with no appointment)
'Here mate.... I looted this phone and its stopped working - WFT u going to do about it.......
5 Mins later......shell suited scum bag is outside arranging the nights burglary timetable on his shinny new iPhone

Now thats what I call customer service!

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
So the poor riot because there's no money for them, and what are the police protecting? The flagship store of a company with cash reserves of over 75 billion dollars. Capitalism.

How ignorant, they protect the interests of the big companies why? cause they won't go "oh screw it, I'm not investing again here" and the population of poor people gets even larger. As for the rioters, don't associate the poorer communities to these criminals. Those ain't starving kids hurling bricks all day and jumping on cars while communicating via blackberries.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Lots of things are weird about this.

Why is there a link to an investment site? Was that part of the deal to use his photo or something?

Why police vans outside the Apple Store and few other places? (I like and support the police but this seems a bit suspicious)

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
This is rather sad and pathetic on the part on humanity in general. People need to have some decency, and learn some respect.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

They need to use rubber bullets and fire hoses against these little *****.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.