Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colin15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
I understand that iCloud will store and sync your photostream / images take on an iOS device, but I was wondering, will it also store photos that I have saved on my iphone/iPad or photos I have on my computer that aren't part of Photostream?

If not, I guess I wouldn't be able to go completely PC/MAC-less with iCloud.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I understand that iCloud will store and sync your photostream / images take on an iOS device, but I was wondering, will it also store photos that I have saved on my iphone/iPad or photos I have on my computer that aren't part of Photostream?

If not, I guess I wouldn't be able to go completely PC/MAC-less with iCloud.

photostream only stores the last 1000 photos or last 30 days. its stuff from the iOS devices you get into your camera roll and any you choose to put from your computer.

it's not a space where you can stick things permanantly.

colin15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
photostream only stores the last 1000 photos or last 30 days. its stuff from the iOS devices you get into your camera roll and any you choose to put from your computer.

So, if I just have an iPhone and iPad that are synced through iCloud, how do I get photos into my iPhone/iPad without a computer? Is it possible?

My goal here obviously is to get rid of my computer because all I use it for is to sync my iDevices through iTunes.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
So, if I just have an iPhone and iPad that are synced through iCloud, how do I get photos into my iPhone/iPad without a computer? Is it possible?

My goal here obviously is to get rid of my computer because all I use it for is to sync my iDevices through iTunes.

you still need a computer. or you have to have some other online storage for photos and that like dropbox.

plus you will still need a computer for some things. it's far too soon to go totally PC free for most people.

roblawton

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2007
Preston, UK

Don't forget about the Camera Connection Kit available for iPad.

This will allow you to import photos from a camera and now with iOS 5 you can create folders, sort your photos into albums, everything. So if you have an iPad then this would work perfectly!

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Don't forget about the Camera Connection Kit available for iPad.

This will allow you to import photos from a camera and now with iOS 5 you can create folders, sort your photos into albums, everything. So if you have an iPad then this would work perfectly!

Unless one day you have more than 1000 photos or photos you want to keep and share that are older than 30 days OR you run out of the finite memory the ipad has. Then, unless you have a PC as a storage location you are screwed. Right?

So not matter what you need a PC OR some sort of OTHER online storage location for your photo's and if that is the case, screw PhotoStream and just upload/share them via that 3rd party. PhotoStream only seems to complicate the matter shortly after the first 30 days pass. Sometimes I take EPIC pics that I want shared forever, yet the last 30 days I took crap which I care not to share.

Still do not get how PhotoStream is a good idea over online upload/storage and sharing like we have today and like PhotoBucket, Dropbox and Google offer.

To me PhotoStream sounded like a "neat, cool thing" someone pitched and said all the young kids would love the shoot and instant share option. The young crowd only lives in the moment, so 30 days of pic sharing is more than enough. To hell with the parents who want to share pics of the kids and vacations from years past with the grandparents, they can just move on.

It is almost like anything that happened 1000 pics or 30 days ago is irrelevant. I don't know, I am in Japan for 2 years with my family at home, the pics I took years ago and the ones my wife take now (well over 1000 every couple of months) are all important and I want to see them when I want...I do that now via MM, I can't with iCloud.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC

If it stores the last 1,000 photos is there a way for people to see them like in Gallery if you knew there AppleID? That's one thing I would love to know so I can keep sharing.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Unless one day you have more than 1000 photos or photos you want to keep and share that are older than 30 days OR you run out of the finite memory the ipad has. Then, unless you have a PC as a storage location you are screwed. Right?

So not matter what you need a PC OR some sort of OTHER online storage location for your photo's and if that is the case, screw PhotoStream and just upload/share them via that 3rd party. PhotoStream only seems to complicate the matter shortly after the first 30 days pass. Sometimes I take EPIC pics that I want shared forever, yet the last 30 days I took crap which I care not to share.

Still do not get how PhotoStream is a good idea over online upload/storage and sharing like we have today and like PhotoBucket, Dropbox and Google offer.

To me PhotoStream sounded like a "neat, cool thing" someone pitched and said all the young kids would love the shoot and instant share option. The young crowd only lives in the moment, so 30 days of pic sharing is more than enough. To hell with the parents who want to share pics of the kids and vacations from years past with the grandparents, they can just move on.

It is almost like anything that happened 1000 pics or 30 days ago is irrelevant. I don't know, I am in Japan for 2 years with my family at home, the pics I took years ago and the ones my wife take now (well over 1000 every couple of months) are all important and I want to see them when I want...I do that now via MM, I can't with iCloud.

Photo Stream is not for sharing photos. It is for syncing them among your various devices. Your Mac/PC will keep all photos that travel through your Photo Stream. You can save photos from your Photo Stream to your iOS device by moving them to your library.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
If it stores the last 1,000 photos is there a way for people to see them like in Gallery if you knew there AppleID? That's one thing I would love to know so I can keep sharing.

Nope, not at this moment and doubt they will as its not really for public sharing. See the post above mine.

Screenshots you take on the iDevice go there too, anything that saves to camera roll does. Would you really let Joe Public see that or any intimate photos you take?

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Nope, not at this moment and doubt they will as its not really for public sharing. See the post above mine.

Screenshots you take on the iDevice go there too, anything that saves to camera roll does. Would you really let Joe Public see that or any intimate photos you take?

Nope I'm not an idiot but I have friends who are...

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Photo Stream is not for sharing photos. It is for syncing them among your various devices. Your Mac/PC will keep all photos that travel through your Photo Stream. You can save photos from your Photo Stream to your iOS device by moving them to your library.

Okay but then it is even more useless. Don't know if it is just me, but I do not find it so hard to take a photo or many, select all, and select send to MM now. Then have MM sync back to my Mac iPhoto. With the current Gallery I do not need to have the photos physically stored on our ipod or ipad. Add to the fact that most any digital camera today can store thousands of photos on super cheap memory cards and I fail to see the need to ever synch photos to the stream via an ipad for saving to my Mac over just connecting my camera when I return home.

Again the reason and benefits over what we have now are lost on me. If you only have an iphone and no Mac I see no value as only 1000 photos are saved, if you have a Mac of any sort I do not see the value as it is easy to sync in a multitude of ways from a multitude of devices now and you are losing the ability to store, save and share from 1 to 100% of your photos from any period in the past.

Maybe it is me, but I do not see where this is better or even valuable.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Okay but then it is even more useless. Don't know if it is just me, but I do not find it so hard to take a photo or many, select all, and select send to MM now. Then have MM sync back to my Mac iPhoto. With the current Gallery I do not need to have the photos physically stored on our ipod or ipad. Add to the fact that most any digital camera today can store thousands of photos on super cheap memory cards and I fail to see the need to ever synch photos to the stream via an ipad for saving to my Mac over just connecting my camera when I return home.

You are overthinking it. It doesn't do something that wasn't possible before. It does it more simply.

Again the reason and benefits over what we have now are lost on me.

We aren't losing what we have now as far as syncing options. We are gaining a new one that does not involve syncing over a cable.

If you only have an iphone and no Mac I see no value as only 1000 photos are saved,

If you only have one device, it's only value is to backup recent photos.

if you have a Mac of any sort I do not see the value as it is easy to sync in a multitude of ways from a multitude of devices now

It is adding the convenience of wireless, automatic syncing of photos. If you lose your iPhone before you get home to sync, you don't lose any pics.

and you are losing the ability to store, save and share from 1 to 100% of your photos from any period in the past.

No, you're not losing any of those abilities.

Maybe it is me, but I do not see where this is better or even valuable.

I think the key thing that you are missing is that most people don't sync their iOS devices very often.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
You are overthinking it. It doesn't do something that wasn't possible before. It does it more simply.

We aren't losing what we have now as far as syncing options. We are gaining a new one that does not involve syncing over a cable.

If you only have one device, it's only value is to backup recent photos.

It is adding the convenience of wireless, automatic syncing of photos. If you lose your iPhone before you get home to sync, you don't lose any pics.

No, you're not losing any of those abilities.

I think the key thing that you are missing is that most people don't sync their iOS devices very often.

I see thanks for taking the time to clarify those points. I still wish they kept gallery, that with the new sync functions would be a killer combination. Again, I cannot understand why Apple for the moment is killing gallery.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Actually, you're losing the mobileme gallery as far as i know, so photostream is all you have anyway. for me, i never used mobileme galleries. but i like that iCloud will backup my photos to my computer without me having to even think about it or even go upstairs to my PC and plug in.

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK

Photostream has a share feature, maybe not the same as Gallery or anything else you're used to at the moment but who kniw's what it will finally be like?

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Photostream has a share feature, maybe not the same as Gallery or anything else you're used to at the moment but who kniw's what it will finally be like?

I haven't read anything about a share feature. Do you have a link?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

shandyman said:
Actually, you're losing the mobileme gallery as far as i know, so photostream is all you have anyway. for me, i never used mobileme galleries. but i like that iCloud will backup my photos to my computer without me having to even think about it or even go upstairs to my PC and plug in.

It doesn't back all your photos only the last 1000 or 30 days. And if you shoot with a camera then you still need to connect to a pc or iPad so photo stream as it sits now is very limited if you have more than 1000 photos and or use a digital camera more than an i device camera.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It doesn't back all your photos only the last 1000 or 30 days. And if you shoot with a camera then you still need to connect to a pc or iPad so photo stream as it sits now is very limited if you have more than 1000 photos and or use a digital camera more than an i device camera.

yea i know, i already said all that earlier on. nice to see you read my other posts first :p i was just saying for me, it saves me the effort of plugging my iPhone or iPad in to my PC when i get home to get the photos off, when photostream will automatically do that for me and it will back them all up... :D

Last edited:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

It does back up all your photos to your computer.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
It does back up all your photos to your computer.

Yes on YOUR computer, this ISN'T a cloud storage service. And what if you do not have a computer and shoot more than 1000 photos? Then your photos only live on your idevice as they do today. And if you have a digital camera, this service is 100% useless unless you want to sync your camera with your ipad and then to icloud and then to your computer, assuming you have one.

No one has been able to tell me the REAL value of this service other than the ability to shoot a pic with my i device and have it sent to any other i device or Mac in my sync ring, which is no better or easier than what we have today, save for the fact that you do not need to remember to click "share" in your photos on your i device. In fact it is worse, because now my one picture will eat up memory and or HDD space on multiple devices instead of on my Mac and in the cloud at MM where it makes sense. Today if my Mac crashes I know all my pics are safe and backed up on MM and in Time Machine (okay I have another back up as well) in the future with icloud that additional saftey net is gone. Of course I have another redundancy over Time Machine, but still, MM was a nice comfortable back up place that was 100% off site.

And again, if you do most of your picture taking with a camera, and if you want to make more than the last 30 days or 1000 photos available to other users, in your sync ring or not, this service is useless.

Not only that, my 10 year old shoots all sorts of crap with his ipod, I do not want them on my Mac, nor my wife on her ipad nor on my iphone, but he may want them on his Macbook, but some pics maybe I DO want. Not sure how THAT will work, so far it sounds like all or nothing.

AFAIK most people share tons of pictures with tons of people, from tons of different periods of time and have been doing so for years and years. Apple somehow IMHO doesn't think this will continue or doesn't want to be apart of that. I guess they feel Twitter and Facebook have taking over the world for this type of sharing and have bowed out.

Last edited:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Yes on YOUR computer, this ISN'T a cloud storage service. And what if you do not have a computer and shoot more than 1000 photos? Then your photos only live on your idevice as they do today. And if you have a digital camera, this service is 100% useless unless you want to sync your camera with your ipad and then to icloud and then to your computer, assuming you have one.

it is a cloud service, and it's a cloud storage service, albeit temporary. there's a reason this does not go against your main iCloud data storage...

No one has been able to tell me the REAL value of this service other than the ability to shoot a pic with my i device and have it sent to any other i device or Mac in my sync ring, which is no better or easier than what we have today, save for the fact that you do not need to remember to click "share" in your photos on your i device.

No, people have explained the real value. Like for me, there is a huge value for me in that all the photos i take on my iPhone (which is the only camera i use really) will back up to my PC at home before i get home if i get on wifi, or when i get outside my house,i save myself the time and effort of going upstairs to the PC, plugging in, loading itunes then copying the photos over to my PC. What you mean is "No-one has been able to tell me the real value to me" of which, there probably isn't any. No matter what me or anyone else has said, you've made up your mind. I'm not going to try and sway you otherwise as i think in your case, you're right, but seem my next point below.

In fact it is worse, because now my one picture will eat up memory and or HDD space on multiple devices instead of on my Mac and in the cloud at MM where it makes sense. Today if my Mac crashes I know all my pics are safe and backed up on MM and in Time Machine (okay I have another back up as well) in the future with icloud that additional saftey net is gone. Of course I have another redundancy over Time Machine, but still, MM was a nice comfortable back up place that was 100% off site.

Not everyone used MM, infact, it's probably used by a minority of iOS users. so for the majority, this is new, shiny and has a fair bit of use.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Yes I get that it is great for temporary storage of limited photos and I get that it is great if your iphone is your only camera, but that is the only value I see. So what is there to change or sway my mind about? I get it, but that value is so limited over how most of the world manages pictures online. Once that great photo is on your Mac from your iphone you STILL need to work with it to get it online somewhere if you want to share it, so there is a huge gap there and with actual cloud storage of all your photos.

IMHO I have yet to hear someone bitch that they need to sync an iphone to add pictures to the Mac and with over the air sync coming, again, is this REALLY so important to call it a compelling feature as Apple has?

Wouldn't it be FAR better if that picture synced from your iphone to your Mac and to an online gallery that was fully synced with your Mac, so you had a full back up and you could share those photos as you do today? Isn't that a win, win, win?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Yes I get that it is great for temporary storage of limited photos and I get that it is great if your iphone is your only camera, but that is the only value I see. So what is there to change or sway my mind about? I get it, but that value is so limited over how most of the world manages pictures online. Once that great photo is on your Mac from your iphone you STILL need to work with it to get it online somewhere if you want to share it, so there is a huge gap there and with actual cloud storage of all your photos.

IMHO I have yet to hear someone bitch that they need to sync an iphone to add pictures to the Mac and with over the air sync coming, again, is this REALLY so important to call it a compelling feature as Apple has?

Wouldn't it be FAR better if that picture synced from your iphone to your Mac and to an online gallery that was fully synced with your Mac, so you had a full back up and you could share those photos as you do today? Isn't that a win, win, win?

Again i point out that the lack of value is YOUR opinion only. This is a free service, majority of people do not have a MobileMe service, so for those people, this is quite a bit of value. Now if people were being made to pay for it, then maybe you have a point, but it's a FREE service, so therefore you don't. Who's to say that they won't bring Gallery back for a smaller annual fee than MobileMe.

Wifi Syncing does not sync photos over. it's just the backup/normal sync that iTunes does, but without the cable. to get photos on the PC you have to plug in still. Well you at least do on Windows anyway. I don't have a Mac. Plus this is all automatically straight away. if i'm away in another country, it backs them all up when i connect to wifi (which i would do most days as most hotels have free wifi. Just cos you haven't heard anyone moaning about plugging an iPhone in to copy photos does not mean they do not exist. one of the biggest gripes my friends have is about how, in this day and age, it's rubbish that you have to plug in to copy photos over, especially now there's these Eye-Fi memory cards.

You have to look at the bigger picture, what you think, is not necessarily what everyone else thinks. Not everyone has a MobileMe account, so have no idea about gallery. Plus as i said before, this is a Free service, you're not going to get the level of features that MobileMe had. Now if apple turned around and did Galleries for free, i'd be EXTREMELY impressed, but since i'm not paying, i'm not turning my nose up at it.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Yes of course I am stating my own opinion, as are you, as would be anyone here about services which are not fully available yet. We all have different needs. However, what I do not get as I keep saying is why add this PhotoStream and make it SOUND like a better replacement for Galleries, when it isn't even close to Gallery?

And since you do not use MM, just FYI, I do not need to connect my iPhone to share my photos at all, I can do so today over WiFi or 3G from my iPhone to my Gallery which then will sync back to my Mac today and I was happy and am happy to pay for that service.

But as you correctly stated the above is just one mans opinion, it is not better or worse than yours is or anyone elses, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.