Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Is there a way on an iPad to set it to NOT automatically "quote the text of the original message" in each reply? I know you can select the quoted text and manually delete it. But what if you never want to quote the text in the reply?
Thx.
Frank

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Is there a way on an iPad to set it to NOT automatically "quote the text of the original message" in each reply? I know you can select the quoted text and manually delete it. But what if you never want to quote the text in the reply?
Thx.
Frank

Press "Post reply" and it wont quote. :confused:

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
>>Press "Post reply" and it won't quote<<

When I strike the arrow in the upper right corner, I get a drop down menu with Reply as a choice. When I hit that, I get a new dialog box and everything is automatically quoted.
Is there another specific, "post reply" button??
Thx.
Frank

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
I have an iPad1, but I doubt there is a difference how Mail appears in iPad 1 and 2??

When I bring up an email. I see the preview pane on my right.
In the upper right corner from left to right I see a Folder, Trash, Reply/Reply All/Foreword/Print, and New Message buttons.

The Reply/Reply All/Foreword/Print icon is a half arrow pointing to the left.

When I hit that arrow I have the option to Reply/Reply All/Foreword/Print.
When I hit Reply, everything quotes in my reply screen.

Thx.
Frank

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I believe the OP is talking about replying to email. if that is the case I believe whenever you reply it always quotes the original text. thats the way most email applications work. iOS, Mozilla Thunderbird, Microsoft Outlook all quote the original text in an email reply. you will manually have to remove the quoted text.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
>>I believe the OP is talking about replying to email.

Correct!!

>>if that is the case I believe whenever you reply it always quotes the original text.<<

Ahh... that's what I am looking for.
I've looked but can't find a way to turn that off. Guess then, I can't.

Thx.

Frank

thewalkman

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011
lol, I thought he is talking about the forum :p You should have mentioned that you are talking about Mails...

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
>>You should have mentioned that you are talking about Mails..<<

Sorry.

Thx for the information.

Frank

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
This doesn't answer your question, but it's a little tip I use.

Before hitting reply, select the text you want to be included in the reply.

For example, if your replying to one question in their body of text, highlight the relevant words, and then hit reply.

This will create a new email, with only the text you highlighted underneath.

I supose you could try and highlight "nothing" (A blank space) before hitting reply, and this might achieve your desired result.

I don't have my iPad at hand to try this.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
This pisses me off. Every email client on the planet allows us to turn this off in settings, including Mail, on Mac. I hope Scott Forstall cashing out all his Apple stock is a sign he is ready to leave Apple. The man is a total douche. And the keyboard on this iPad sucks. I have to use my finger to place the curser between to letters constantly because of all be stupid errors. We need arrow keys to move the curser around. We have a Bluetooth driver for a keyboard, but not for a mouse. We can't touch the screen when it's verticle in a stand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.