Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoeire

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2011
hi all

my girlfriend just bough an iphone 3gs 8gb.
it seems to be already jailbroken but it doesnt seem to be operating well.
bit glitchie.

its os 4.3.3 with baseband 5.16.02 on the orange network.

i want to restore the factory os and then update it so i can jailbreak with redsnow or something to the latest software and unlock the network so she can use 02.

i recently jailbroke my iphone 4 with snowbreeze, but still waiting for 4.10.01 unlock and im not sure if i update the 3gs to 4.3.5 os that the baseband will be unlockable like the iphone 4 did to me... (that was a big opps)

any ideas how i restore and do a fresh jailbreak to be able to unlock it right?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Doesn't o2 do carrier unlocks if you've had service with them for a certain amount of time?

If they can't unlock your iPhone, you're going to need to upgrade the baseband. By doing this you'll lose your GPS functionality.

To restore back to factory on 4.3.3, the iPhone would need the SHSH saved. Download TinyUmbrella to see if the iPhone has any SHSH saved.

neoeire

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Doesn't o2 do carrier unlocks if you've had service with them for a certain amount of time?

If they can't unlock your iPhone, you're going to need to upgrade the baseband. By doing this you'll lose your GPS functionality.

To restore back to factory on 4.3.3, the iPhone would need the SHSH saved. Download TinyUmbrella to see if the iPhone has any SHSH saved.

i am going to get orange to unlock it now... but for now i need to remove the jailbreak on it now as its buggie, and once factory settings restored then decide either to update it and then jailbreak if an unteathered one is avilable for 4.3.5 without losing gps....

if not 4.3.5, then how about 4.3.4? any issues with that? or am i just better off staying with 4.3.3? ill try tiny now, but its a new phone so no back ups or anything on pc for this...

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
i am going to get orange to unlock it now... but for now i need to remove the jailbreak on it now as its buggie, and once factory settings restored then decide either to update it and then jailbreak if an unteathered one is avilable for 4.3.5 without losing gps....

if not 4.3.5, then how about 4.3.4? any issues with that? or am i just better off staying with 4.3.3? ill try tiny now, but its a new phone so no back ups or anything on pc for this...

To go to 4.3.4 you'll also need the SHSH saved. You can also download iFaith (like tinyumbrella) which will save the shsh for which ever firmware the iPhone is currently on.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
To go to 4.3.4 you'll also need the SHSH saved. You can also download iFaith (like tinyumbrella) which will save the shsh for which ever firmware the iPhone is currently on.

Why to go to 4.3.4?!?

neoeire

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Yup .. :)

Seeing that he is already jailbroken I think cydia might have saved shsh ;)
the past owner jailbroke it some? so im trying to install the 4.3.3 factory os but keep getting 3194 error... tried tinyum, tried editing the host file with these ip's
74.208.105.171 is apptapp.saurik.com
74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
and still the same error...

i also tried using snowbreeze 2.7 to custom the os and install it over the existing jb os with the same error.....

will win7 64bit have anything to do with it.... its beginning to get annoying

my iphone 4 was easier to do

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
not sure what u mean? u mean the red circle which lets u know u have updates?

He means this. The SHSH saved are listed at the top of the screen.

Attachments

• IMG_0116.PNG
    IMG_0116.PNG
    218.3 KB · Views: 81

neoeire

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2011
o ok... will i just clicked it and its on a black screen with preparing filesystem.... should be ready in a mo

not my day with iphones... its still cydia preparing filesystem... how long does this take... or is this iphone bricked....

neoeire

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2011
cydia is taking too long, but i checked tinyumbrella and if its the same, the shshs saved are:
3gs 4.1(8b117)
3gs 4.3.5 (8L1)
3gs 5.0b1, plus b2 and b3 shshs

but 4.3.3 (8J2) is what is installed at mo baseband 05.16.02

i know shshs are the os, but not sure why 4.3.3 isnt there or why its detecting them above...

neoeire

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2011
just wondering? if i dont have shshs for 4.3.3 even if 4.3.3 is installed, is that why the factory os im trying to install is not working?

meaning if i get 4.1 then it should work since the shshs is there?

trying to understand it all...

plus the state my 3gs is in now is when i click the cydia app, a black screen with the loading symbol comes up with preparing filesystem (cydia will exit when its complete), for the past 24 hrs...? so i saved the shshs with tinyumbrella.....
3036827983182-iphone2,1-4.1.shsh
...plus newer ones...

Last edited:

neoeire

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2011
just wondering? if i dont have shshs for 4.3.3 even if 4.3.3 is installed, is that why the factory os im trying to install is not working?

meaning if i get 4.1 then it should work since the shshs is there?

trying to understand it all...

plus the state my 3gs is in now is when i click the cydia app, a black screen with the loading symbol comes up with preparing filesystem (cydia will exit when its complete), for the past 24 hrs...? so i saved the shshs with tinyumbrella.....
3036827983182-iphone2,1-4.1.shsh
...plus newer ones...

also its the new bootrom 3gs 8gb
any ideas on how i can restore this to factory 4.3.3 os would b great

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
is there any help with this out there?

Why don't you restore to 4.1. Apparently apple is still signing 4.1 for the 3gS.

Just open Tiny umbrella go to advance mode uncheck box that says leave host file to cydia on exit close Tiny umbrella. Download the 4.1 ipsw and just do a shift restore on windows or option restore on mac.

neoeire

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Why don't you restore to 4.1. Apparently apple is still signing 4.1 for the 3gS.

Just open Tiny umbrella go to advance mode uncheck box that says leave host file to cydia on exit close Tiny umbrella. Download the 4.1 ipsw and just do a shift restore on windows or option restore on mac.

ill try that now... thanks

skoldpadda

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
For 4.1 Do As Follows;
- Download iReb
- Download 4.1 Firmware
- Open iTunes and Connect iPhone
- Restore to 4.1
- When The Error Pops Up - Open iReb
- Click Recovery Mode Loop Fixer
- Let It Do It's Thing - Then Turn On Phone
- Happy Times :D

For 4.3.3 Do As Follows;
-Load Up Tiny Umbrella
-Go to advanced Tab
-Uncheck The Set Hosts To Cydia On Exit
-Restart PC
-Restore to 4.3.3
-Happy Times :D

Report Back

Last edited:

neoeire

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2011
For 4.1 Do As Follows;
- Download iReb
- Download 4.1 Firmware
- Open iTunes and Connect iPhone
- Restore to 4.1
- When The Error Pops Up - Open iReb
- Click Recovery Mode Loop Fixer
- Let It Do It's Thing - Then Turn On Phone
- Happy Times :D

For 4.3.3 Do As Follows;
-Load Up Tiny Umbrella
-Go to advanced Tab
-Uncheck The Set Hosts To Cydia On Exit
-Restart PC
-Restore to 4.3.3
-Happy Times :D

Report Back

ok, im restored to 4.1 now yippie....
now i was thinking update to 4.3.3 or best one for unteathered jailbreak... as i have come accross wired ways of jailbreaking 4.1 new rom by snowbreeze 2.0

what is my best next step?
u have my full attension :) thanks m8 for the help

Last edited:

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
well im running 4.3.3 on my iphone 4 but is there any real difference between 4.1 and 4.3.3?

Apple list exactly what each firmware update is and why just do a quick search firmware 4.3.3 firmware update and it will tell you exactly what the update is. Also if the dev-team etc consider it a worthy update they will use a exploit to give a untethered jb minor updates get tethered only or none.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.