Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I would seriously bet that there were some structural, or upkeep related issues with the old glass system. Or at the least "potential" issues that Apple felt it would be best to make the move that they are making.
I doubt this is 100 percent about aesthetics.

Interesting that we're seeing Apple make waves in architecture over the last few years. These might very well be stepping stones for Apple to make a mark in other industries.

Sky's the limit.

mandis

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
UK
I think the reason for their success is their focus. They will not touch something unless they have complete vision of what they need to achieve with it. It seems to me that Jobs has managed to find a lot of like-minded people.

sunspot42

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2007
Oh dear

Looks as though Steve fell for one of those pane enlargement e-mails...

:eek:

bbbb4b

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
Interesting that we're seeing Apple make waves in architecture over the last few years. These might very well be stepping stones for Apple to make a mark in other industries.

Sky's the limit.

Yeah, really is.
If I recall; Apple owns a pocket full of patents related to their glass and support systems.
The new Apple campus will be very exciting to see.

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada

Milling aluminum, making larger glass panes, building a 4 story Pentagon sized round glass building. Next will be an entire town or village or an up-to-date Epcot. He will surpass Disney.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
How about a stain-glass cube. In Rome.

1.-Kirchenfenster-stain-glass-Top-5-holy-godly-Apple-CEO-Steve-Jobs-illustrations-photoshopped.jpg

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
This makes me remember the G4 Cube :).

I would love a new Cube shapped computer from Apple.

Ah yes the old days of Apple from 98 till 2007:) Back before this IPhone crap and having AFFORDABLE Power Mac computers!:(

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
They're spending $6 million to put in bigger panes?!?
I don't get it.

with the amount of sales based out of the store why wouldnt you invest in it??? how many people that have already been there will now return to see the new design...think :)

M

mph206

Let's hope you don't have any angry teenage rioters/looters like we do over here at the moment - the insurance premium would be huge! :eek:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
now if they'd just keep the carpet on those damned stairs

I really wish they'd keep the carpet on that stair case leading into the 5th Avenue store, everything else I barely pay attention to.

Yeah, jaded NYer and proud.

Banyan Bruce

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Devon, UK
London calling...

It won't last 5 minutes in London at the moment...show lout with half a brain would come along and see..... glass + computers and think (possibly), brick,smash and burn. :eek:

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Why is it that people think "written off" = free??

In January when they are preparing their corporate filings, they will write-off a large portion (maybe all, with creative accounting) of that 6.6 million, which will brings their gross revenue down, which will lessen their tax liability. So no, it's not free, but it will reduce the expense considerably.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
In January when they are preparing their corporate filings, they will write-off a large portion (maybe all, with creative accounting) of that 6.6 million, which will brings their gross revenue down, which will lessen their tax liability. So no, it's not free, but it will reduce the expense considerably.

Exactly.

So this is a false statement.

It's not really costing them anything.

TomMcIn

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Canada
The MS Copy

Steve Balmer is having his minions design the same sized building with 7 panes of glass, matching his favourite number

silentnite

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Outer sight.. Outer mind
I'm sure that glass can with stand a bullet or anything they throw at it. This is New York Fifth Ave. we are talking about. Land of the best attorneys hungry to make a fast buck.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

Geckotek said:

Exactly.

So this is a false statement.

It's not really costing them anything.

Lol. Whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.