Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
I just ripped my first DVD via handbrake, but cannot get it to play in iTunes. What is the secret? I have copied the file to the correct location and tried adding it via iTunes, both with no luck.

melbri

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
You might want to check TV Shows and Movies, not sure what type of video you ripped, but sometimes they need to be tagged correctly. Fort example a movie imported to iTunes may end up in th TV Shows section. Right click and get info, go to options or sorting, can't remember which, and change to movie or vice versa.

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
It was a DVD "Fever Pitch" still can't seem to get it into iTunes. I did change iTunes to the default player, but it still does not show up into my library.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
Is it a .m4v, not a .mp4 or .mkv?
Did you drag it into the iTunes window to add it or just drop it into the Media folder?

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
Yes it is a .m4v, and I tried both solutions. I dropped it into the media folder where all the other iTunes movies are. That did not work so I tried to just drop it into iTunes itself but that didn't work either.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Since it seems kind of confusing what's going on, I'd recommend downloading RipIt. The trial allows you 10 conversions. In the preferences, have ATV2 checked off under what you want the movie converted to. Put in the DVD, and hit Compress, not rip. This will rip and convert the file. Then, drop the file into the Automatically Add to iTunes folder. See if that works.
http://www.thelittleappfactory.com

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
Adding the file to the Media folder will never work, though you can add it to the folder labeled Automatically Add to iTunes within the iTunes folder. If you add the file to that folder, launch iTunes, and it is put into a folder within that called Not Added, then there is something wrong with the file.

I've had occasional rare files that fail to encode properly.

When you use HB, choose the aTV2 preset from the list on the right, if you want to ensure compatibility with most new apple devices.

SYCAMOREGRAD

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Indianapolis
I have had the best luck with simply double clicking the file which imports it to iTunes. It takes up twice the space, but you can always delete the original since iTunes copies it to the iTunes folder.

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
Well, I tried Rip It and it worked just fine. Although, I did get two copies for some reason. I may have to shell out for Rip It, as it seemed to work very easily, although not so quick. Now to figure out the artwork piece.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Well, I tried Rip It and it worked just fine. Although, I did get two copies for some reason. I may have to shell out for Rip It, as it seemed to work very easily, although not so quick. Now to figure out the artwork piece.

I use RipIt-->Handbrake-->Identify(Artwork) as my workflow.

You can setup RipIt to auto start ripping as soon as you insert the disc and eject as soon as it's done. So you just keep feeding it discs until you get about a dozen ripped. Then queue them in HB and let it run overnight. Delete the huge RipIt files and use Identify to tag the encoded ones and add to iTunes.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
So another question: after using rip it, what am I doing with Handbrake? After rip it everything seems to work fine. Does Handbrake then compress the files more? What is this next step and what are the advantages? Thanks again.

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
My next question and this seems like it should be simple. As I rip all my DVD's I want to store them on an external HD. How does this work with iTunes. I have a 2009 Mac Book Pro, with 113gb of music, and now 15gb of movies and that will grow very quickly. My internal HD is only 250 gb, and is rapidly getting very close to capacity. If I move all my movies to an external HD will iTunes just recognize that external when I plug it in, or are there steps I need to take to make sure it sees the files? I also have a TM and have read a few threads that suggest I could plug in my externals to it and have access to the files through streaming through the TM.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
There should be no need to use RIpit. I use handbrake all the time with itunes
and the files play fine. Two easy ways to import is either add to library or just click on the file and with Itunes as the default player it will add it automatically.

If you use an external Disk and put all the files in the same directory then just use add to library and point to that directory and it will import all the files. You should uncheck the box under Itunes - Preferences - advance that says copy files to media folder when adding to library, or it will add a second copy to your media folder.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So another question: after using rip it, what am I doing with Handbrake? After rip it everything seems to work fine. Does Handbrake then compress the files more? What is this next step and what are the advantages? Thanks again.

RipIt gives you an exact 1:1 copy of the entire dvd and is quite large in file size, usually 6-9GB. That would take up way too much space when storing and is not really needed. Handbrake, with the ATV2 preset, gets rid of all the extra crap that is not needed and gives you only the movie, along with shrinking the file size to about 1-1.5GB.

My next question and this seems like it should be simple. As I rip all my DVD's I want to store them on an external HD. How does this work with iTunes. I have a 2009 Mac Book Pro, with 113gb of music, and now 15gb of movies and that will grow very quickly. My internal HD is only 250 gb, and is rapidly getting very close to capacity. If I move all my movies to an external HD will iTunes just recognize that external when I plug it in, or are there steps I need to take to make sure it sees the files? I also have a TM and have read a few threads that suggest I could plug in my externals to it and have access to the files through streaming through the TM.

What I did was when my iTunes library got too big for my internal HD, I moved the entire iTunes Library folder onto an external HD solely dedicated to iTunes (500GB). Granted I have it hooked up to my Mini which is on 24/7, but you could do roughly the same thing it's just a tad less portable as you have to carry it with you. You said you have a TM, do you mean you have a Time Capsule? If so, then yes you can plug the external HD into the TC and iTunes can access it wirelessly.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
There should be no need to use RIpit. I use handbrake all the time with itunes
and the files play fine.

There are really only 2 reasons to use RipIt in the process:

1. Unless you have a quad core cpu, Handbrake is going to take a long time (~1.5-2 hours for my 2.4GHz Mini) to rip/encode and that means your dvd drive spinning that entire time. RipIt takes 20-30 minutes to rip a dvd so much less strain on the drive.

2. Because RipIt takes less time to rip, I can use it to rip a "batch" of dvd's and then queue them in HB and let it run all night long without needing user input.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
There are really only 2 reasons to use RipIt in the process:

1. Unless you have a quad core cpu, Handbrake is going to take a long time (~1.5-2 hours for my 2.4GHz Mini) to rip/encode and that means your dvd drive spinning that entire time. RipIt takes 20-30 minutes to rip a dvd so much less strain on the drive.

2. Because RipIt takes less time to rip, I can use it to rip a "batch" of dvd's and then queue them in HB and let it run all night long without needing user input.

You can achieve a similar result by using makeMKV and then run HB on the resultant . mkv file.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
You can achieve a similar result by using makeMKV and then run HB on the resultant . mkv file.

Yes I know. I was replying to your comment that is no reason to use RipIt, when in fact for me there are 2 reasons. You could say the same for using MakeMKV. Nobody has to only use 1 way to do it, I was simply giving another option.

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009

If you used the Compress feature, nothing is necessary in Handbrake. It spit out an m4v file. If you simply used the Rip feature, then you need Handbrake too change it to an m4v file.

Jefferyd32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
Seattle, WA
RipIt gives you an exact 1:1 copy of the entire dvd and is quite large in file size, usually 6-9GB. That would take up way too much space when storing and is not really needed. Handbrake, with the ATV2 preset, gets rid of all the extra crap that is not needed and gives you only the movie, along with shrinking the file size to about 1-1.5GB.

What I did was when my iTunes library got too big for my internal HD, I moved the entire iTunes Library folder onto an external HD solely dedicated to iTunes (500GB). Granted I have it hooked up to my Mini which is on 24/7, but you could do roughly the same thing it's just a tad less portable as you have to carry it with you. You said you have a TM, do you mean you have a Time Capsule? If so, then yes you can plug the external HD into the TC and iTunes can access it wirelessly.

Nice: Yes I meant a Time Capsule. Looks like I will be getting a large external to connect to it until I can get a Mini that I can have on all the time. I wasn't aware I could just hook up an external to it. With those capabilities why wouldn't Apple put a firewire port on a TC? Wouldn't that be faster and better than simply usb 2.0? Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.