Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

EqAI2-cjVdl.png

Facebook has released Facebook Messenger, an iPhone app focused on chat and messaging. The dedicated app allows users to send messages directly to friends whether they are on phones or using the Facebook website.
Messenger is a separate app, so it only takes one click to get to your messages or send a new one. Messages are delivered through notifications and texts, so your friends are more likely to get them right away.

You can use Messenger to reach all of your friends -- whether they're on Facebook or in your phone contacts. All you have to do is type the person's name.
The app is integrated with the Facebook messaging and chat service and all conversations are archived as part of ongoing conversations on Facebook. The app allows users to share their location and attach photos to conversations. Users aren't restricted to chatting with one friend either, group conversations are easily created as well.

Facebook Messenger is a direct challenge to other messaging services like BlackBerry Messenger and Apple's forthcoming iMessage. Like those products, Facebook Messenger uses data, not text messages to communicate, which means the service isn't restricted by per-message charges or separate mobile phone charges.

Facebook Messenger is a universal app available for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, free from the App Store.

Article Link: Facebook Launches Standalone Messenger App for iPhone and iPad

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
Guessing this is US only at the moment as I haven't seen it on the UK app store since hearing of it's release a few hours ago?

barnetty

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
try searching for Beluga that is the only way i could find it.

Still i think this is a worthless app...does anybody even use facebook messages?

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Facebook friends are not day to day friends. FB is more a compilation of everybody I know that I like.

But I really share info with a tiny fraction of that. Actually many important people for me are not in my FB, my girlfriend is not as well as my co workers. But what ever. It is a different context.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So ... Just like email, except with less assumption of privacy?

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Why did they make this, instead of just making (and allowing use of) the Facebook iPad App? Then you have a Facebook messaging app automatically. :confused:

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5274d)

So now I have a Facebook app that never works right, never consistently notifies me of posts, pics, and messages as is, and they want me to download another app that duplicates features already in the original app that doesn't notify me of posts, pics, and messages?

Hmmm.

Last edited:

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Why!? :confused:

The Facebook app works bad enough as it is, why can't they use those resources on the Facebook app instead of wasting them on this piece of ****?

bradkrischel

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
USA
As long as it lets me actually receive FB chat in a timely manner I'll appreciate it. That being said, they should just make it work in the iPhone app that's already available.

EDIT: Just launched this and I dont see any way to distinguish if someone is online. Lame

Last edited:

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Wouldn't it be a better use of their time to get the main app working right (i.e., notifications)?

BCurry1

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Oklahoma
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Fix the bugs in the Facebook iPhone app before putting your resources on another app. And Facebook wonders why there are so many people deleting their accounts.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Wow. That is pretty sad and puzzling. Who did the feasibility study for a standalone app for messaging??

There are a dozen other apps out there there (I use Trillian) that do FB chat and chat with all the other services. What a waste

Portal83

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Available in the Canadian App Store.

Try searching Facebook, inc. and clicking the developer in the left pane. Searching for Facebook or Facebook Messenger didn't make it show up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.