Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jermy4

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Maybe some of my fellow mac rumors peeps can relate, I've been bit by the apple bug. We currently have my iPhone 4, my wife's iPhone 3GS, my 1st gen iPad (32GB WIFI), a very recent purchase for my wife: an iPad 2 (16GB WIFI), and I recently bought a new macbook air (13.3" i5 4GB 256GB).

When does the madness end? I'm already looking at mac minis and iMacs since I have always been a PC person and this new macbok air is really impressing me. I'm afraid when I end up replacing my desktop I'm going to have to seriously look at iMacs and minis. My love for Apple all started back when I bought both my wife and I 1st gen iPhones (8GB). When I go back to my windows 7 machines (thinkpad and custom built desktop) it is so awkward now.

Any recent mac converts around here that can relate?

note: iphone 3gs is not pictured since my wife has it on her at the moment ...

Attachments

• IMG_1478.jpg
    IMG_1478.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1488.jpg
    IMG_1488.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 110

The Expert

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
I know how you feel.

I used to have this hate for Apple products which I do not know why I hated it or what had caused the hatred but I do love apple now.

Honestly, you can't find a PC with this kind of craftsmanship, battery life, durability, and light form factor that the macbook air possesses.

I mean, The Samsung Series 9 is the only laptop out there that compares but you would have to pay significantly more.

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
It only gets worse, we have a MacPro w/ 30" ACD, G5, 13" MBP, 11" MBA, 2 iPhones, 2 AppleTVs, 2 iPads, iPods galore, and a 24" LED ACD. I'm sure others around here have way more then that too.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
you are going to be fine ... enjoy your Apple gear :cool:

if you become a collector of older Apple stuff ... then worry :D

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Maybe some of my fellow mac rumors peeps can relate, I've been bit by the apple bug. We currently have my iPhone 4, my wife's iPhone 3GS, my 1st gen iPad (32GB WIFI), a very recent purchase for my wife: an iPad 2 (16GB WIFI), and I recently bought a new macbook air (13.3" i5 4GB 256GB).

When does the madness end? I'm already looking at mac minis and iMacs since I have always been a PC person and this new macbok air is really impressing me. I'm afraid when I end up replacing my desktop I'm going to have to seriously look at iMacs and minis. My love for Apple all started back when I bought both my wife and I 1st gen iPhones (8GB). When I go back to my windows 7 machines (thinkpad and custom built desktop) it is so awkward now.

Any recent mac converts around here that can relate?

note: iphone 3gs is not pictured since my wife has it on her at the moment ...

Me and her:

2 iPhone 4's (both black, got before white came)
2 MacBook Air's (13 and 11)
2 iPad 2's (black and white)
Apple TV
27" Cinema Display (tempted to swap for Thunderbolt one, crazy, right?)

And just got a new Mac Mini to use as a server. $800. Yup.

Oh and will be upgrading to iPhone 5 on day one, waiting in line. Same for iPad 3 and the next 13" Ultimate Air.

To make matters worse I have over 5 Android phones for development and a Xoom. And a 1st gen iPod Touch. I was also a sucker for the 3DS and will be for the Vita. I also rock a Wii, 360, and a PS3 (picky, 60GB model that plays PS2 games upgraded to 320GB hard drive). Damn... I have issues right?

I've been looking at a 15" MacBook Pro ultimate but really don't think I'm gonna jump. And I can't rationalize an iMac as I have an Air and a Screen so... Damn!

Last edited:

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
I know how you feel.

I used to have this hate for Apple products which I do not know why I hated it or what had caused the hatred but I do love apple now.

Honestly, you can't find a PC with this kind of craftsmanship, battery life, durability, and light form factor that the macbook air possesses.

I mean, The Samsung Series 9 is the only laptop out there that compares but you would have to pay significantly more.

Same here! From Apple hate to Apple love. I was a Fandroid a year ago and now I use an iPhone 4.... and an iPad 2.

And I rip on Honeycomb all the time.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
I love Apple products, but my love for Apple only goes as far as the iPad, laptops, phones, and various iPods and other little things.

When it comes to Apple desktops, I'm not a big fan at all. If the iMac didn't cost so much for what they're offering, I'd be a bigger fan of their desktops. What I dislike is that the iMac has some laptop limitations in a form-factor desktop format. I respect the fact that they incorporate an IPS panel, and I don't mind the price that costs, but they do charge a premium for the form-factor, and they charge a huge premium on the graphics... and it's the graphics premium cost that bothers me. To get 8GB of RAM, it's a $200 upgrade on an iMac. To get an i7 it's a $200 upgrade on an iMac. In reality, an i5 2500k costs $220, and an i7 2600k costs $320; a $100 difference. So Apple really does charge an arm and a leg for any sort of upgrades. And when it comes to memory, well, even in a laptop it's only $50 for 4GB of RAM... so I have no clue why they'd charge $200 for 4GB extra (2x 4GB modules only costs $60 nowadays).

So I'm an Apple fan, but when it comes to desktops I wish they'd become a little more competitive on the higher-end. When it comes to a casual user, they're great... but the argument can come in again (I wish they gave a 23-inch IPS, not a 21.5-inch IPS, on the lower-end iMac).

anonymous6237

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Plano, TX
I'm right there with you:

1 iPhone 4 16GB Black
1 iPhone 3GS 16GB White
2 AppleTV 2G
1 iPad 2 16GB Black
1 17" Core Duo Pre Unibody Macbook Pro
1 13" i5 128GB Macbook Air (2011)

I'm sure there's more laying around here somewhere :rolleyes:

Wick12

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
Yep it's sad I know I'm in the same boat. A year ago I owned no Apple products. I hated Apple, until I actually used their products. Over the last year I have acquired the iPhone 4 , 2010 MacBook Pro , and an iPad 2. I will be waiting in line for the iPhone 5 and am toying with the idea of getting a new MacBook Air. Haha it is ridiculous my family and friends just look at me and shake their heads.

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Glad it's not just me!
I have the iPhone 4, a MBP, and recently had an iPad, upgraded it to an iPad 2, and now I'm getting a MBA instead of the iPad 2! Now I'll have 2 laptops in my dorm room, and the iPhone 5 is right around the corner. (I also used to have an iMac)

I try to tell myself that I won't buy another computer as an upgrade for several years but honestly don't know how to make that happen.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
Yep it's sad I know I'm in the same boat. A year ago I owned no Apple products. I hated Apple, until I actually used their products. Over the last year I have acquired the iPhone 4 , 2010 MacBook Pro , and an iPad 2. I will be waiting in line for the iPhone 5 and am toying with the idea of getting a new MacBook Air. Haha it is ridiculous my family and friends just look at me and shake their heads.

I would absolutely love to own a Macbook Pro and Macbook Air together. However, I only own an 11-inch Air. And that's all I need.

The only reason I'd want a Pro as well is simply because it's a slightly different product, and it looks awesome. I'd probably have a 13-inch Pro and an 11-inch Air, and use them for similar purposes, and sync between the two. Basically it'd be a "what am I feeling like today" sort of thing. I don't need that though, and even if I were working as a professional (currently I'm still in college), I'd still consider it too frivolous of an expense.

:D

My next Apple product almost certainly will be an iPad 3, if I do end up getting one.

I was considering an iPhone 5, but I realized something: I don't use my smartphone for anything other than phone-related tasks. I've tried forcing myself to use internet, email, mp3's, videos, apps, etc... it just doesn't do it for me. It's not the kind of apps or the way the phone is laid out... rather, it's the fact that I like my phone to just be a phone and that's it. On the bus I don't like fiddling on my phone. Driving my car I obviously can't use it except for speakerphone conversations. At home I could care less. On the go I don't want to use my phone as an mp3 player. So really I have no use for a smartphone. If the iPhone 5 offered some extremely awesome speakerphone functionality (ex. you set it down while driving and you can do a crapton of stuff by voice), then I'd definitely snatch it up. But really all I want a phone for is to have great sound quality/sound direction (My current phone is great for that... in even loud areas it directs sound into the ear really well unlike a lot of phones which get muddled down by ambient noise), it works great in speakerphone mode, the battery life is good, and reception is good... texting is okay-ish (I prefer real buttons over a touchscreen for texting).

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
It all started innocuously enough with a black 3GS. In less than 2 years....

iPhone 3GS
MacBook White
MacBook Pro 13"
iPod Touch
Apple Wireless Keyboard
Apple Magic Mouse
iMac 24"
MacBook Pro 15" 2010
iMac G4
MacBook Pro 15" 2011 HR/AG
iPhone 4 White
Mac Pro
23" ACD

You get the idea.

jermy4

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Wow, it seems this is a common pattern. No wonder apple is making so much money and breaking all sorts of sales records. These iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches are gateway devices it seems.

:apple:

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
no one counting ipods in their arsenal? :)

between me and my partner, we have 15 devices
time to sell to make room!

with all that money, could buy a car or a downpayment on a house!! lol

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
There definitely is a lure to Apple products that is irresistible. I am a recent Mac convert (2011 iMac, 2011 Air) and for the most part, I like both products.

But honestly, at the end of the day, Apple is another tech company that is susceptible to both hardware and software issues. They're not perfect, even though they sell perfection (the image, not necessarily the products). Granted, Apple has some amazing and innovative ideas and services that no other company can touch, but I've been somewhat disenchanted since I finally began owning their products. I had an iPhone 4 too before switching to Android (the iPhone 4 keyboard just couldn't keep up with my thumb-typing speed. Kept missing key presses). However, I'm a fully converted Mac user.

I think fanboys actually do Apple disservice by hyping up and defending the Apple brand so viciously. It creates this idea that Apple is perfect, when they are not. Of course, a lot of that is also due to Apple's own marketing. Again, I love Apple, so put down the flame throwers. They have great ideas and create aesthetically beautiful products.

Edit: And I'm not necessarily calling you all fanboys. Just saying, Apple isn't perfect. Perhaps you all know that already too.

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
NY
right now i have- iphone 4, ipod nano 3rd gen, ipod nano 6th gen., ipad 2 16gb verizon, MBA 11", MBP 13" (selling this soon tho). I was thinking about getting an imac or ACD, but i have a tri-monitor display hooked up to a beastly custom pc rig that nothing lower than a mac pro would compete with, so thats the only thing that will stay non-apple.

Also have 1 apple tv, 1 airport extreme base station, & 1 airport express.

Also bought my sister, dad, & mom iphone 4s. also 2 more ipad 2 16gb wifis for the family.

However, sadly, that isn't my only vice. i change my work phone on a consistent basis. Ive tried every droid and blackberry for at&t and verizon.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
You think that's bad :confused:

Wait until you start to steal to support your habit.

You know those 'crash and grabs' at the Apple stores you read about? Those weren't for resale. Those were addicts just like us. They walk by the store and see all those lovely shiny things there in the windows. Just a stones throw away, ( if you get my drift).

But don't get any ideas folks. They have replaced the glass windows with Gorilla glass (same as iPad). You will need to find a Gorilla to help you. Try the zoo.

(ok, it's a slow day..... )

imotionb18

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
I'm saving up for a 27" imac. I think I may have a problem.

iphone 3g (black)
2-iphone 4's (black)
32 gb black ipad
13" macbook pro
32 gb ipod touch
80 gb black ipod classic
Apple airport extreme base station
apple tv 2
and.....a pc desktop. :)

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Used to hate Apple because I was raised to! :eek: ... Parents worked (one still does) for Intel, so because Apple didn't use Intel as I was growing up, Apple computers just weren't an option. True story.

But then a few years ago, I bought an iPod Touch 1st Gen (16GB)... then got an iPhone 3GS (16GB)... then got an iPhone 4 (32GB)... then an iPad 2 (64GB)... then a 2011 27" iMac (1TB)... then sold my iPad 2 (64GB)... then used the money to buy a 2011 11" MBA (128GB).

My next Apple purchase will probably be the iPhone 5, as I will be giving my iPhone 4 to a relative who lost their 3GS (which was my old one). But then I think I'm done for awhile.

My mother has an iPhone 4 and an iPad 2 (16GB). She'll probably be making the switch to an MBA around Christmas time.

Who knew Apple was so addicting O_O

EDIT: I also sorta wanna get an iPod Nano and wear it as a watch. Am I lame?

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I started with an iPod like 10 years ago (I think it was 2nd gen). But at that time, I couldn't care less about Apple or their other products. I was all against Macs, and I don't really know why. Everyone just agreed that PCs beat Macs, and other than the Macs we had in our school, I didn't have any other experience with them to decide otherwise.

iPod (2001 or 2002?, 2nd gen, I think)
MBP 15" (2005, when my Dell laptop died, and on a whim, I bought a Mac, thinking "eh, lets try something different." Needless to say, I was hooked)
iPod nano (2005, first day purchase, couldnt resist when I saw the commercial. Got the white bc I knew everyone would go for the black)
Apple TV (2007)
MBP 13" unibody (late 2008)
iPod Shuffle (2008, lost it a couple weeks later :()
2G iPod Touch (2009)
3G iPod Touch (2009, because the 2G fell and broke)
4G iPod Touch (2010, because the 3G was lost at the gym)
Apple TV 2 (2010)
Apple Wireless Keyboard (2010, for my PS3)
iPad (2010)
Apple 27" Cinema Display (2010)
Apple Wireless Keyboard & Magic Trackpad (2010)
MBA 11" ultimate (late 2010)
iPhone 4 (2011, Verizon)

I didn't realize I was an appleholic til I wrote out this list. I'm sure others have a lot more. Now I want a new Mac Mini to hook up to my HDTV to replace my old ATV... :D

Edit: Oh yeah, and all thats pretty much just for me. In my house, we've also got an iPad 2, a 2011 MBP 15", and 2 more iPhone 4's.

Last edited:

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
Among my circle of family and friends, we have the most Apple products, and they think we're crazy...

iMac (20-inch Early 2009)
MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2007)
MacBook Air (11-inch 2010)
MacBook Air (13-inch 2011)
iPad 2 Wi-Fi+3G
iPhone 3GS
iPod Classic
Apple TV 2
Airport Extreme Base Station (x2)
Airport Express

And the wife has:
MacBook Air (11-inch 2010)
iPad Wi-Fi+3G
iPhone 2G
iPod nano

We had also had a Mac mini G4 that we sold and a MacBook (White 2006) that we gave to a relative.

And we are waiting anxiously for the next iPhone.

It's nice to know we're not the only ones with many Apple prodcuts. :D

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
I too used to be an apple hater. :p what really ticked me off was that they're so proprietary. It doesn't bother me so much now, because I can't seem to survive without the gadgets. :D

EDIT: I also sorta wanna get an iPod Nano and wear it as a watch. Am I lame?

No you're not. I've wanted to do that for a while now. :D

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
I know exactly what you mean... and so does my wallet. In the past 12 months:
32gb iPhone 4
2010 27" iMac
64gb iPad 3G
2010 13" MBA "Ultimate"
Apple TV
Apple TV 160gb HD
Airport Extreme
4th Gen. iPod Touch 32gb
2011 13" MBA "Ultimate"

I was hoping that Apple would make something that didn't need to be updated yearly, but I'm eyeing the stats for the new Airport Extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.