Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveNYC

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2010
Guess...

Lokheed

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Powerbookmedic has the cable in stock for much cheaper than macpartsonline.com. $30+$8 shipping via USPS.

link

+1 for buy from them. I ordered stuff before and they were really great to deal with. Plus the cable is $29.95 CAD + $4 shipping via USPS first-class mail. That's a lot more reasonable than $65 USD from the other places!

aristokrat

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2007
For you all's information, there's a dude on eBay who seems to deal in a lot of Mac parts that's selling the 922-9560 for $36 shipped. I don't remember if it's okay to post eBay links around here, but the item number is 160634677387. I just ordered one from him, hopefully it will come in soon.

I was also wondering if anybody confirmed this 2010 cable is capable of SATA III speeds?

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
For you all's information, there's a dude on eBay who seems to deal in a lot of Mac parts that's selling the 922-9560 for $36 shipped. I don't remember if it's okay to post eBay links around here, but the item number is 160634677387. I just ordered one from him, hopefully it will come in soon.

I was also wondering if anybody confirmed this 2010 cable is capable of SATA III speeds?

Good info, I hope everyone looking for one of these cable can get one at a reasonable price.

My understanding is that the cable has been tested and does seem to support SATA III speeds.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
i wish they left the super drive in the mac mini as there are some parts of the world and the u.s. that dont have high speed internet they use phone line which is slow as all get out and you cant stream movies from what ever with that either and i ment dial up internet and thats no fault on the person owning the machines the isp providers for highspeed dont have lines run to rural areas

Dusky600

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
Portugal
i wish they left the super drive in the mac mini as there are some parts of the world and the u.s. that dont have high speed internet they use phone line which is slow as all get out and you cant stream movies from what ever with that either and i ment dial up internet and thats no fault on the person owning the machines the isp providers for highspeed dont have lines run to rural areas

unfortunetly just have to fork a little extra for it, but lets face it, if your buying a mac mini the extra for the superdrive isnt that much, dont think ill buy it just yet though. cant remember the last time i popped a cd into the drive...

jdguggs10

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
Boston
question, I have a base edition 2011 mac mini. I threw a Corsair SSD in there and it runs beautifully. But, the old HDD is just sitting in a box next to my machine, is it 9.5mm and will it fit below the SSD or do I need to buy a different one?

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I missed this info probably. Physically, what location is the boot drive in? at the top of the mini case or at the bottom near the RAM.
wondering if you add a 2nd drive, do you have to remove and reinstall the boot drive to add the 2nd drive?
I keep seeing the word 'below', but not sure from which perspective. below when it sitting in use, or below when its upside down and opened.

slyseekr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I missed this info probably. Physically, what location is the boot drive in? at the top of the mini case or at the bottom near the RAM.
wondering if you add a 2nd drive, do you have to remove and reinstall the boot drive to add the 2nd drive?
I keep seeing the word 'below', but not sure from which perspective. below when it sitting in use, or below when its upside down and opened.

From my perspective, I refer to the position of the drives when the mini is flipped over and opened up. Therefore:

Top Drive = drive closest to the RAM and Airport Grille

Apple installs the boot drive (with OS X) on the Top Drive, and the expansion drive installs underneath it.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Ok, thanks. I was gonna buy a new Mini but am holding off a while til tweaks, hacks, info, and upgrade parts are worked out. lower prices on SSDs would be good too, and the markets and my downsizing job situation are playing a part too.
I upgraded the HDD in my 09 mini ok, but am a little wary of the new one. and an expert I trust says it can be a little tricky.

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
If you look in Disk Utility, it tells you that the drive closest to you when you open up the Mini is the 'Lower' drive, so any expansion drive should be installed in the 'Upper' drive position.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Oh, so if you want to install a 2nd drive yourself, the boot drive has to be removed and reinstalled.

Lokheed

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
If you look in Disk Utility, it tells you that the drive closest to you when you open up the Mini is the 'Lower' drive, so any expansion drive should be installed in the 'Upper' drive position.

Wrong. When you crack open the mini, the drive is installed against the top of the unit (so stop slot). That's where the primary drive needs to be. Where are seeing Disk Utility report the physical placement of the drive???

A.C

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
Just finished upgrading my Mini:

Upgraded Memory
Replaced the OEM with 8gb of Corsair RAM. The first shipment caused kernel panics and was sent back. Thankfully the second set has worked flawlessly.

Installed boot drive
Added a 120gb OWC Extreme Pro 6G via the 922-9560 cable. Cloned the OEM HDD content via CCC, changed start-up disk, and subsequently erased the 5400rpm drive.

Relocated user directory
Moved the "home" directory back over to the freshly wiped 500gb HDD.

The new configuration is pretty awesome. Speed makes me happy.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
Got my cable from macpartsonline today, so just finished adding in the second drive. I put the samsung 1TB as the main drive (upper when you open the mini) and the WD 1TB as the secondary drive. The cable fit perfectly and drives fit in very snugly. I did take out 2 screws from an old drive and put them in so the drive wouldn't shimmy at all, maybe that made it a bit tighter...

I am now in the process of adding all my iTunes (170GB worth) to the second drive. but all seems well. In some speed tests I find the WD to be a bit faster, wish I had the drives flip flopped, but there is no way I am performing another surgery....while not hard its just a pain to clone everything and move everything around...besides, this really is used more like a server and I don't sit on it for extensive periods of time, and the speed of loading apps and such is very acceptable.

I did place 2 orders for cables and couldn't cancel the second one, so I have another coming, I will probably list it in the Marketplace.

Does anyone know if I do a time machine backup to an external will it backup just the main drive or will it do both? if just the 1 drive, how can I set it to back up both?

End specs: 2.5 i5, 2TB, 8GB Ram, Discrete AMD
Thanks,

Chris

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Got my cable from macpartsonline today, so just finished adding in the second drive. I put the samsung 1TB as the main drive (upper when you open the mini) and the WD 1TB as the secondary drive. The cable fit perfectly and drives fit in very snugly. I did take out 2 screws from an old drive and put them in so the drive wouldn't shimmy at all, maybe that made it a bit tighter...

I am now in the process of adding all my iTunes (170GB worth) to the second drive. but all seems well. In some speed tests I find the WD to be a bit faster, wish I had the drives flip flopped, but there is no way I am performing another surgery....while not hard its just a pain to clone everything and move everything around...besides, this really is used more like a server and I don't sit on it for extensive periods of time, and the speed of loading apps and such is very acceptable.

I did place 2 orders for cables and couldn't cancel the second one, so I have another coming, I will probably list it in the Marketplace.

Does anyone know if I do a time machine backup to an external will it backup just the main drive or will it do both? if just the 1 drive, how can I set it to back up both?

End specs: 2.5 i5, 2TB, 8GB Ram, Discrete AMD
Thanks,

Chris

go to time machine preferences you can add and subtract drives to be backed up.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-09 at 10.56.06 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-08-09 at 10.56.06 PM.png
    449.4 KB · Views: 268

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Just finished upgrading my Mini:

Relocated user directory
Moved the "home" directory back over to the freshly wiped 500gb HDD.

The new configuration is pretty awesome. Speed makes me happy.

Question: When you move the home directory, do you notice any speed loss? Apps I believe then remain on the SSD, correct? Thanks.

A.C

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
I'm sure there was a speed penalty after placing the user directory back on the 5400rpm drive, but I didn't A/B the configurations to notice. For me the benefits of reclaiming the 500GB outweigh the negatives.

japtor

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Question: When you move the home directory, do you notice any speed loss? Apps I believe then remain on the SSD, correct? Thanks.
There is some but I'm not sure it's a big deal. Your Library folder has a bunch of little files that get accessed, and for the iTunes library there's the apps (if you have an iOS device) and it's own library file, won't make much of a difference for the music and movies though. I imagine the iPhoto library would benefit nicely from the SSD too, although like iTunes I'm not sure there's a way to separate library from the photos. I've tried something similar with iTunes using a bunch of symlinks but ran into some issues.

There's some stuff like VMware that sticks VMs in your home folder by default...you'd definitely notice a big speed hit there more than anything else. On the plus side I'm pretty sure you can just set the default somewhere else or move the VM, so that's easy enough to work around. Steam put a bunch of app data in my home last I ran it, that might be another annoying one. There's a few corner cases like those around.

To keep things simple I'd recommend just leaving the user dir where it is and moving the big media stuff to the HD, or just moving everything to the HD and living with whatever slowdowns, then dealing with those corner cases as they show up if they bug you enough.

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
Wrong. When you crack open the mini, the drive is installed against the top of the unit (so stop slot). That's where the primary drive needs to be. Where are seeing Disk Utility report the physical placement of the drive???

This is a screen shot of my Disk Utility screen, with my SSD installed in place of the original 500GB boot drive. As you can see, it shows up as the 'Lower' drive. :)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

Dusky600

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
Portugal
Same position here Dusky600, ordered on the 1st, nothing since then. They did say 12 working days though, and we arent even half way through that so I'm not too worried.

yoh, got my e-mail from VIS UK saying they dispatched my part ! :D took them 10 days, i ordered on the 2nd.

not to bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.