Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
hello guys i am new to programming I watched an informative tutorial series and i would like to know how to make a simple tap me button which in turn makes a sound i only know the basics such as UILabel *label* or (IBAction)Click(id) sender;. now even though i am a complete newbie at programming i would still like to know, sorry guys i may sound like a complete idiot :( but can you help me create button with functionality. help greatly appreciated

iHutch105

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
If you're new to programming, you probably want to focus on learning the required languages first, rather than learning "how to do X". If you learn how to make one specific thing (such as a button that makes a sound) then you'll struggle to apply what you've learned to anything else and you'll probably end up more confused than if you set out to learn the language.

If you're looking at iPhone development, the language of choice is Objective-C. However, if you've got no programming experience then I'd strongly recommend learning the language C first, as Obj-C is a superset of C.

There are a couple of books in iBooks about programming in both C and Objective-C that are good on-the-go reads.

Here is a good link for some beginner tutorials for C:
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html

And MacRumors offers a nice Obj-C tutorial but, as I mentioned, you'll benefit from understanding C first:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Objective-C_Tutorial

Good luck!

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
If you're new to programming, you probably want to focus on learning the required languages first, rather than learning "how to do X". If you learn how to make one specific thing (such as a button that makes a sound) then you'll struggle to apply what you've learned to anything else and you'll probably end up more confused than if you set out to learn the language.

If you're looking at iPhone development, the language of choice is Objective-C. However, if you've got no programming experience then I'd strongly recommend learning the language C first, as Obj-C is a superset of C.

There are a couple of books in iBooks about programming in both C and Objective-C that are good on-the-go reads.

Here is a good link for some beginner tutorials for C:
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html

And MacRumors offers a nice Obj-C tutorial but, as I mentioned, you'll benefit from understanding C first:
http://guides.macrumors.com/Objective-C_Tutorial

Good luck!
thank you i greatly appreciate your response i will look at learning c then but objective c but isn't objective c just c with some tweaks to make it easier

dok24

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2011
thank you i greatly appreciate your response i will look at learning c then but objective c but isn't objective c just c with some tweaks to make it easier

Not exactly. C is procedural, and objective C is object oriented.

iHutch105

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
so should i learn c first or c++

C will be sufficient. C++ is almost a superset of C (I wouldn't actually consider it a superset because there are instances where C code would compile differently to C++ code in a C++ environment). I would consider it pretty essential to know C before tackling Objective-C. However, it wouldn't say it's essential to know C++ when having a go at Obj-C if you already know C - it would probably be advantageous, but not essential.

The difference between C and C++ is that C++ is an object-oriented language (i.e. - it makes use of features such as classes and promotes principles such as polymorphism and encapsulation) whereas C is, as dok24 said, procedural.

Obj-C is also an object-oriented language; it will follow many of the same principles of C++ but has a different approach.

Your best approach (I say "best" but everyone has preferences and learns things differently) is probably this:

Learn C --> Learn Obj-C --> Learn to use an iOS SDK (UI/Cocos etc).

It should work like a knock-on effect - learning C will make getting to grips with Obj-C easier and, in turn, knowing Obj-C will ease programming in an iOS environment.

I'm not saying that's the definite way to do things. As I mentioned, everyone learns differently and there are a lot of ways to get into app development. But if you follow the fundamentals thoroughly, it'll be of greater benefit in the long term.

iHutch105

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
This book is not current to xCode4

Erm, yeah, it is. Every example in the book is using Xcode 4. If that's not enough, the front cover literally reads "Learn how to use Objective-C and Xcode 4 with integrated Interface Builder".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.