Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaronVonFlapJac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Im using Handbrake to rip my DVD's them dropping them into iTunes for my Apple TV. How do I combine 2 disc movies, like the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions, so that they are one file instead of 2? Do I need to do some editing with Quicktime to combine the 2 different files into one big movie file?

Thanks

The Baron

TheRealMcCoy

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
What if you don't have the files on a disk and there on your harddrive... How would you merge the 2 titles then?... :confused:

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
What if you don't have the files on a disk and there on your harddrive... How would you merge the 2 titles then?... :confused:

It depends on what version of OS X you are using. If you are running Lion, then just open the first file in Quicktime and then drag the second file onto it. Then save the new version.

If you have Leopard or Snow Leopard, then you need Quicktime Pro. In that case, open the second movie and select all and then copy. Then open the first movie, scrub to the end, and paste. Save as a new file. Conversely, you can open the first movie and select all and copy, and then paste it at the front of the second movie. Same difference.

harpster

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
I use MakeMKV to join DVD disks together for movies that are one more than one disk. Of course you end up with a mkv file (H.264 container).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.