Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cyacene

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
I know that books purchased through the iBooks store, and your bookmarks will all be kept in sync, but what about books I bring in myself to iBooks through the "open in iBooks" option or through the iTunes installed apps section.

Has anyone tried this? Did the non Apple epub books show up on all devices?

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Even in iOS 4 iBooks syncs notes and bookmarks for books not purchased through the iBookstore, so I am certain this functionality will continue after the shift to iCloud.

david77

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Are PDFs that you save into iBooks supposed to sync? Or is that coming with iCloud?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Even in iOS 4 iBooks syncs notes and bookmarks for books not purchased through the iBookstore, so I am certain this functionality will continue after the shift to iCloud.

I would assume too this will be transitioned to iCloud.

Are PDFs that you save into iBooks supposed to sync? Or is that coming with iCloud?

I would assume PDFs are classified as documents to Apple, thus they should be synced via cloud too. According to Apple you shouldn't have any non-PDF, non-iBookstore documents in your iBook library, so I don't see them supporting non purchased ebooks.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
I would assume PDFs are classified as documents to Apple, thus they should be synced via cloud too. According to Apple you shouldn't have any non-PDF, non-iBookstore documents in your iBook library, so I don't see them supporting non purchased ebooks.

i'm using iOS 5 and none of my books (imported into iBooks from elsewhere and 3 bought in iBooks) were restored, i'm assuming we have to wait for an iBooks update on official iOS5 launch day for this feature.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
i'm using iOS 5 and none of my books (imported into iBooks from elsewhere and 3 bought in iBooks) were restored, i'm assuming we have to wait for an iBooks update on official iOS5 launch day for this feature.

Well of course. iCloud services are enabled, but not the actual cloud syncing features. Haven't documents just only recently been "turned on"? If iBooks iCloud sycning was enabled, so would music, ect.

That said, iBooks has previous asked if one wanted to sync on even iOS 4 wirelessly :confused:

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Well of course. iCloud services are enabled, but not the actual cloud syncing features. Haven't documents just only recently been "turned on"? If iBooks iCloud sycning was enabled, so would music, ect.

That said, iBooks has previous asked if one wanted to sync on even iOS 4 wirelessly :confused:

iBooks still syncs bookmarks, i'm not talking about that. I'm talking about books themselves. documents in the cloud was enabled in beta 4, so the fact that it didn't do it to beta 5 just shows that Apple's iBooks app is due an update on launch.

I know that some apps will restore some things from a backup, my facebook app, beejive app, etc all restore with my logins and accounts, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.