Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple passed ExxonMobil as the most-valuable publicly traded company several times yesterday, but ExxonMobil ended the day ahead of Apple. Both companies' stock prices were down today, but XOM fell quite a bit farther, making Apple the most valuable public company in the world.

aaplvsxom1.jpg

Apple closed the day at $363.49, with a market cap of $337.17 billion. Exxon Mobil ended at $68.03, with the company valued at $330.88 billion.

Apple might be worth more than Exxon Mobil, but XOM remains a much bigger company. Exxon made $10.7 billion in profit on $121.4 billion in revenue in the June quarter with 83,600 employees.

Apple made $7.3 billion on $28.6 billion in revenue with 46,600 employees last quarter.

Article Link: Apple Closes As The Most Valuable Company In the World

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
That's all very nice but what will it bring to humble users like me? I don't own Apple stock, just buy their stuff. It's about time Apple starts doing some good with that $76 billion stock pile of cash. Good for humanity, expensive trinkets don't fill children's empty bellies.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Apple might be worth more than Exxon Mobil, but XOM remains a much bigger company. Exxon made $10.7 billion in profit on $121.4 billion in revenue in the June quarter with 83,600 employees.

Apple made $7.3 billion on $28.6 billion in revenue with 46,600 employees last quarter.

I wonder how much more profit/revenue Apple would make if Apple was given the same tax incentives that oil companies are given....

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Finally, innovation prevails!

Apple is not the only innovative company nor are other companies successful by sheer luck...They all climbed their way to success

I wonder how much more profit/revenue Apple would make if Apple was given the same tax incentives that oil companies are given....
I wonder how much less Apple would make if those subsidies went away, the cost of doing business/manufacturing increased which leads to more expensive computers and more than likely less sales as a result

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
That's all very nice but what will it bring to humble users like me? I don't own Apple stock, just buy their stuff. It's about time Apple starts doing some good with that $76 billion stock pile of cash. Good for humanity, expensive trinkets don't fill children's empty bellies.

Actually, yes they do...

I wish people understood a little bit about basic economics before spouting off righteous crap.

Apple's success probably feeds more empty bellies than all the charities in the US combined. By producing these products, there are millions of people who gain a livelihood (directly employed by Apple, employed by contractors, providing services (like restaurants) to these people, the vast number of people employed by adjunct businesses like accessories, and repairs, etc...).

The cash isn't just sitting around (I doubt even a few of those $76Bn are in paper currency form). It is invested in a variety of financial instruments across the world.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
Yet oil doesn't even break 10% on average and they're blasted by some people as greedy companies.

Because they have massive monopolies, minimal risks, and massive demand? This is a basic supply and demand story.

Again, spouting righteous crap without knowing financial basics, but from the other side this time...

And I bet a significantly larger number of people are calling Apple greedy (and pointing out to the $76Bn net assets) than calling oil people greedy. What they do call oil people are folks spending millions to buy political leaders so they don't have to bear the costs of the negative externalities their industry imposes on others, and spending millions to fudge basic science.

C00rDiNaT0r

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
New York, New York
Which will be more exciting news, when Apple makes more profit or revenue than Exxon?

I don't think it will be too hard for Apple to make more profit than Exxon in the next few years as they expand to countries like China.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
And I bet a significantly larger number of people are calling Apple greedy (and pointing out to the $76Bn net assets) than calling oil people greedy. What they do call oil people are folks spending millions to buy political leaders so they don't have to bear the costs of the negative externalities their industry imposes on others, and spending millions to fudge basic science.

You are pretty naive if you think that's the case. It's the complete opposite.

Tony

Man9z0r

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
SLO, CA
This doesn't come as a surprise to me. As we are becoming a people who are looking to be more fuel efficient and more and more companies are trying to make cars that use less of it of course they are not going to be on top forever. If not today it would of happened soon enough.

While technology is only getting bigger and bigger.

BeauPaul

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2011
Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Actually, yes they do...

I wish people understood a little bit about basic economics before spouting off righteous crap.

Apple's success probably feeds more empty bellies than all the charities in the US combined. By producing these products, there are millions of people who gain a livelihood (directly employed by Apple, employed by contractors, providing services (like restaurants) to these people, the vast number of people employed by adjunct businesses like accessories, and repairs, etc...).

The cash isn't just sitting around (I doubt even a few of those $76Bn are in paper currency form). It is invested in a variety of financial instruments across the world.
Don't bother trying to explain, now these people are attacking their own! Apple is a big liberal company that has become the richest company in the world! Now these people attack them for capitalism. Too Funny!

sbradfo

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
at the Gartner Symposium and ITxpo97 here today, the CEO of competitor Dell Computer added his voice to the chorus when asked what could be done to fix the Mac maker. His solution was a drastic one.

"What would I do? I'd shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders," Michael Dell said before a crowd of several thousand IT executives.

Steve J. .... Mike Dell ?
Mike D. ... yes
Steve J. .... suck it !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.