Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hrl

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2009
Pacific Northwest
1. Which MacBook Air do you have?
11.6' ultimate

2. Is the Air your main computer? Do you use it along with an external monitor, another computer(s), iPad or ?
It's my main work computer. I have a 2010 MBP 15 ultimate (home main comp), a 2008 uMB 13 ultimate (backup), an iPad 1 w/ 3G, and an iPhone 4. I'll probably get an ACD later this year.

3. Use a sleeve, skin, speck case? What kind of bag or backpack have you found suitable for the Air's?
I use a Joli Originals sleeve in Tumi Benning Deluxe Messenger bag.

LouLights

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
potential owner w/question

Hi All power PC owner here thinking about a 13" MBA. Is anyone aware of a gadget that will allow the use of 2 external monitors as I've grown accustomed to my 2 27" monitors and hate to give that up. Other question I have is processor chip - should I wait to buy the next release or dive now.

Currently designing a MBA 13" 4 GB, 128SSD to replace my HP windows machine. For sure will need external portable storage, will be using all the MAC software plus VM Ware software to run a Vista VM for work.

At home - we have a 5 TB NAS for storage with an additional 3 TB USB devices we use for laptop backups.

My PPC has a RAID 1.5TB mirror, duel 2ghz processors, 8GB ram, Geforce 6800GT vid card. Overall have been pleased with performance for a 5 or 6 year old system.

Thanks

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
11.6' ultimate

2. Is the Air your main computer? Do you use it along with an external monitor, another computer(s), iPad or ?
It's my main work computer. I have a 2010 MBP 15 ultimate (home main comp), a 2008 uMB 13 ultimate (backup), an iPad 1 w/ 3G, and an iPhone 4. I'll probably get an ACD later this year.

3. Use a sleeve, skin, speck case? What kind of bag or backpack have you found suitable for the Air's?
I use a Joli Originals sleeve in Tumi Benning Deluxe Messenger bag.

You sure like to throw around the word "ultimate" a lot :p

Duke15

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Canada
1) 2011 13" MBA i5

2) It is my main computer as I hate having more than one, I find it a pain to keep track of files. I just uses an external hard-drive.

3) In the process of making my own sleeve. Decided I couldn't justify paying for a hard graft one so just ordered the felt need to make one today for 20$(enough to probably make 3 actually) and will be attempting to make one once it arrives. How hard can it be? right:confused:

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
1. 13 in. Ultimate 2011

2. Main Computer on Bookarc stand with Samsung Syncmaster 275 + lcd. Also have ipad 2 32gb.

3. Do not have a skin or case. Thinking about getting a Ristretto bag from Tom Bihn.

rellimie

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2010
MacBook Air 11" Ultimate (Just ordered)

I have a 27" iMac at home (mid 2011). The air is going to be my primary at work where I don't have a need for a high end graphics card. It will be hooked up to a 27" cinema display. I did just purchase a brand new MBP 15" Ultimate, but that is going on eBay.

I'm going to use a MacBook Air sleeve inside my Brenthaven Trek Backpack.

eckthroi

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
1. I have the 2011 11"/i5/128/4GB

2. It is my main computer

3. I have a Knomo leather sleeve which I put into my Level 8 Atlas Backpack.

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
1. 11.6" 4/256

2. Main comp is a 2011 15" MBP. Use a 27" ACD to connect to my MBP.

3. Joli Originals leather sleeve in a Tumi messenger bag

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
I'm a complete and utter computer fanatic. My life and my vices are all computer related. I just sold all my PCs and went all MAC and I think I helped a bit in making them the most valuable company in the world in the process:

13" Air 2010 ultimate: My main computer at home. I use it while on the couch for writing, printing, browsing, etc. This will be the computer I take to school when I go later this month. It will be for homework, note taking and even for downtime between classes - the long battery life and light weight make this the perfect college computer.

11" Air 2011 middle version: For on the road work. I'm using it from my car right now. I'll have this at school for backup in case the 13" runs out of battery.

17" Pro 2009 era: I use this for running parallels so I can play poker and do other things I can only still do on Windows.

17" Pro 2011 (it's the I7 monter): I use this for picture editing and video editing. It's the one that sits and grinds for hours at a time at huge projects.

Ipad 2: I have books, iTunes, notepad and math books on this. I don't like textbooks, I get everything either in audio or ebook or PDF, etc and the iPad is integral for this. It's also my scratch pad when I don't have paper handy. It's also the best game device ever, I mean ever. I play scrabble, monopoly, cards on it and nothing comes close to being as good as the iPad.

I also have an iPhone 4. So does my wife. So does my oldest son. My wife also has a iPad 2. My youngest son has a iPad 1. My daughter has a iPhone 3gs.

Crazy yes? Anyone got more invested than this?

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
What's your setup consist of?

Photo's WELCOME!

11" 4GB/128SSD

No, have a MacPro at home for heavy lifting. Use Air at work with 24" LED ACD. Also have a iPad for couch surfing and the DirecTV app. use the iPad for games and used to use it as my full time reader until I got my KSO last Friday.

No sleeve, skin, or speck. Use an STM bag and both my iPad and Air fit into it with both chargers for trips.

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
11" 4/128
I use the Air most often, but I have a iMac for storage/photos/editing.
I should have my Tom Bihn 11" bag by Monday. I don't think there is a single scratch on my old MBP, my dad's MBP, or my sister's MBP. Unless you have butter fingers, I fail to see the need for a protective case if your bag is designed for a laptop.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-11 at 6.29.03 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2011-08-11 at 6.29.03 PM.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 397

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Canada / London, UK
11" 4/128

I use the Air most often, but I have a iMac for storage/photos/editing.

I should have my Tom Bihn 11" bag by Monday. I don't think there is a single scratch on my old MBP, my dad's MBP, or my sister's MBP. Unless you have butter fingers, I fail to see the need for a protective case if your bag is designed for a laptop.

That attached screenshot.. those icons are horrible!

JayMysterio

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
1. 13in Base

2. It's my secondary/travel computer. I have a '10 Mac Mini that is my main.

3. I keep the Air in a Speck Satin case. I loved it on the Macbook that the Air replaced. I keep that in a Incase case for protection, but carry everything in a Air Jordan sling bag. I rather carry my Air in a non laptop bag, as to not advertise. I also love sling bags over messenger bags.

IXDoubleDXI

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Central Florida
1. 11in Base
2. Started as secondary, but it's becoming my main more and more each day. I have a 2.16 MacBook hooked up to a 23 inch monitor, Bluetooth Keyboard and Trackpad as my "main". 2 shared 320gb hd's off of my Airport Extreme. I've also got an iPad gen 1, which now gets little to no use.
3. I've got the black see-thru Speck case and a STM Scout Messenger Bag. 2 Elago II micro sd-usb adapters, 1 with a 16gb micro sd and the other will have a 32 gb in a week or so. Hoping to get another and have expanded the memory by 64gb. These adapters are extremely small and with the blue leds, look kinda cool.

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
MBA 2011; 11.6" i7 1.8GHz, 4GB, 256GB (in sig too)

It's replacing my 2010 15" MBP, so far I'm in love with it, SSD makes it all crazy fast, like my desktop PC is and the size is amazing, battery is better than I thought too.

I have no cases or anything yet as I just got it today, but I'm going to go messenger bag/sleeve shopping soon cause I love to accessorize my gear.

cgallant725

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
1) MacBook Air 11" Ultimate (2011)

2)No it will mostly be used for going to class and travel. Main Computer is a 13" MBP. sometimes use a 21" WS Dell monitor

3) Brenthaven slip pouch, then into a Swiss backpack if I am taking other things with me.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
11" 2011 MBA attached to JBL Creature II Speakers. Resting on some multi-color rubber cups I first saw in my mom's kitchen (I think they are used for spices, etc).

Photos taken with iPhone 4 (HDR).

(Also included my Mini setup.)

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    395.8 KB · Views: 197
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    455.4 KB · Views: 218
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    373.1 KB · Views: 163
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    508.1 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    801 KB · Views: 249

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
My Apple collection:

2011 11" Macbook Air (128GB model)
2009 27" iMac i5
2009 13" Macbook Pro (my wife's)

iPhone 4 CDMA (x2) (my wife and I both have one)
iPad 1 WIFI (my kids use it the most now)
iPad 1 3G AT&T (my wife uses this one now)
iPad 2 WIFI (my main iPad which I tether with my iPhone)
Apple TV2

The Macbook Air is becoming my main computer, despite all of my peripherals being hooked up to the 27" iMac (which stays on 24/7). I have several external hard drive RAID units attached to the iMac, which are then shared on my network. I do some screen sharing now, but I'll still use the 27" for heavy-duty projects like video editing and gaming.

I really wish Apple had integrated Airplay capabilities into OSX Lion. I know you can use iTunes to Airplay to the AppleTV, but I'd like to be able to send everything to my AppleTV via the Air like I can do on the iPad. I use Airplay ALL the time!

go4theko

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
California
1. 2011 MBA 13" (ultimate)

2. My main computer. Waiting on thunderbolt external drive. Realistically a year away.

3. SF Bags Waterfield Sleevecase with shoulder straps. Northface Backpack if i need to carry more than just the MBA.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
1. 2011 MBA 13" (ultimate)

2. My main computer. Waiting on thunderbolt external drive. Realistically a year away.

3. SF Bags Waterfield Sleevecase with shoulder straps. Northface Backpack if i need to carry more than just the MBA.

Which Northface do you have? I bought their new 'Mainframe' model ... don't like it at all, overkill for the Air, organization and pockets aren't that great....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.