Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaaay

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Hi there,

Well as the title states, my 13" Macbook Pro is stuck on the apple loading screen, where the grey spinning circle thing just spins forever on end.

This is my first Mac, and would appreciate it if someone could help me out :/

Thanks

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Try booting from the original restore disc that came with your MBP and then run Disk Utility.

Jaaay

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Try booting from the original restore disc that came with your MBP and then run Disk Utility.

Hi, ive got the disk in there atm, but the same screen comes up, even when i hold D to boot from the DVD drive :(

EDIT: Its booted, running the memory hardware test

Jaaay

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Okay now this memory hardware test is taking really long, 13 minutes so far when the estimate is 3 minutes

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Once you've done the hardware test, boot from the OS install disc and run Disk Utility - Repair Disk.

You need to hold down the "C" key as you boot.

Don't worry about how long the Apple Hardware Test takes--it can take a while, especially if you've selected the "Extended" test.

Jaaay

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Once you've done the hardware test, boot from the OS install disc and run Disk Utility - Repair Disk.

You need to hold down the "C" key as you boot.

Don't worry about how long the Apple Hardware Test takes--it can take a while, especially if you've selected the "Extended" test.

Ive left the memory hardware test for 40 minutes now, and the total time testing sas 1min 32 secs

Doesnt seem to be doing anything, it hasnt frozen, the mouse still moves, albeit slowly/laggy, surely it shouldnt take 40+ mins when it has an estimated time of 3 mins :S

Jaaay

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Okay i turned if off and on.

And then after about a minute or so loading got this message:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again."

Jaaay

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Okay, i booted into safe mode, and got this error:

disk0s2: I/O error.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
OK, boot from the OS install disk and run disk utility. If that won't run, you may have a bad hard drive. See if you can get it to boot to the OS install screen, and if you have a good backup, erase the drive and re-install OSX.

You could also have a bad OS disc or a bad superdrive.

Jaaay

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
OK, boot from the OS install disk and run disk utility. If that won't run, you may have a bad hard drive. See if you can get it to boot to the OS install screen, and if you have a good backup, erase the drive and re-install OSX.

You could also have a bad OS disc or a bad superdrive.

Each time i try and boot from the Mac OSX Install DVD it gives me the "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again." message.

Think its time to visit the genius bar, its already had a new hard drive in the last few months, think ill demand a new machine, do you think they will honour it? Ive had endless problems with this machine

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Are you using the correct OS install disc? The one that came with your machine? If so, make sure it's not scratched/gouged.

Otherwise, yep, time to take it in to Apple. Don't demand a new one, just politely explain what's been going on, explain the repair history, and ask if they could simply replace it. If it's a current model, your chances are probably good. If it's an older model, you are more likely to have to leave it for repair. Do you have a different hard drive you can try to boot from? An external?

Jaaay

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
No i don't have an external hard drive i could use.

The disc im trying to use says:

MacBook
Mac OS X Install DVD

Mac OS version 10.6.1
Disc version 1.0
2Z691-6517-A

Looks fine, few light scratches but nothing major.
Im just baffled as to why its acting up like this.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
OK, what Macbook Pro do you have? One of the new Sandy Bridge models or an earlier generation?

If you have a current model, you can't use that disk--you have to use the one that came with it, which is OSX 10.6.6.

Jaaay

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Nope, an older generation, this ones around a year old, not too sure what generation that is, but yeah, it was the disk that came with the macbook pro

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
Visit the apple store.

Depending on how many problems they have in their records, they may end up replacing your machine. Or they could repair it. It just all depends.

onedirectionluv

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
Yahhh

Don't worry, this just happened to me. :D I just holder the power button down until I hear a beep. Then, go take a bath, eat dinner, or whatever you want and then just turn it back on. VOILA!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.