Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
I purchased both the boxee box and apple tv in the spring. I've used both as my only source of content. Overall it turned out great however the only reason I kept my atv was because of AirPlay from my iPad or iPhone making YouTube or music very easy to play through my tv. However last night my boxee box began showing up in the AirPlay menu and so far works great now I can't find any reason to keep the atv. The only downside I can think of is losing iTunes but majority of the content is available on Netflix or in the various other apps on boxee.

chris8535

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
The only downside I can think of is losing iTunes but majority of the content is available on Netflix or in the various other apps on boxee.

This isn't even remotely true. The difference in selection between Netflix Instant and iTunes store is vast.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I purchased both the boxee box and apple tv in the spring. I've used both as my only source of content. Overall it turned out great however the only reason I kept my atv was because of AirPlay from my iPad or iPhone making YouTube or music very easy to play through my tv. However last night my boxee box began showing up in the AirPlay menu and so far works great now I can't find any reason to keep the atv. The only downside I can think of is losing iTunes but majority of the content is available on Netflix or in the various other apps on boxee.

Can you share more about your Boxee Box, I am leaning toward getting one this year. I was thinking Mac mini but just cannot justify the cost.

I keep my iTunes lib on an Ext drive if point the Boxee to that will it read and play those files.

If so my setup would be Boxee in our living room and Atv2 in two other rooms

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Can you share more about your Boxee Box, I am leaning toward getting one this year. I was thinking Mac mini but just cannot justify the cost.

I keep my iTunes lib on an Ext drive if point the Boxee to that will it read and play those files.

If so my setup would be Boxee in our living room and Atv2 in two other rooms

It may read those files I've never bought a video through iTunes. I beleave DRM media will not play on the boxee box but in my experience any file format I've thrown at it played with no issues. What makes it better than the Apple tv to me is I haven't had the need to buy a video or tv show the boxee box lists the latest shows and can play them over the Internet. Then their are applications from 3rd parties such as netflix Navi-x live news etc that provide mostly free content over the Internet. You can download a pc or Mac version for free to try but it's a bit buggy since they put all their effort into the boxee box it's on firmware 1.2 while pcs are on 0.9. Blog.boxee.tv will have more info on updates etc.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
It may read those files I've never bought a video through iTunes. I beleave DRM media will not play on the boxee box but in my experience any file format I've thrown at it played with no issues. What makes it better than the Apple tv to me is I haven't had the need to buy a video or tv show the boxee box lists the latest shows and can play them over the Internet. Then their are applications from 3rd parties such as netflix Navi-x live news etc that provide mostly free content over the Internet. You can download a pc or Mac version for free to try but it's a bit buggy since they put all their effort into the boxee box it's on firmware 1.2 while pcs are on 0.9. Blog.boxee.tv will have more info on updates etc.

The iTunes media i am referring to is my own DVD collection that i have ripped and put into iTunes for playback on our ATV's (through iTunes) so no DRM issues.

It sounds good i am leaning towards getting one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.