Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KimHansenDK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
About a month ago I bought the new mid 2011 iMac (21.5") model and have been happy with it. That being said I have experienced some Wifi issues lately. When I turn on the machine there is no connection to the internet even though it says that machine is connected. I then have to turn of the wifi and connect again - then it works!? Sometimes the connection is not chosen by default and I have to manually connect to my wifi network...

Have any of you had the same issues with wifi? Maybe it is just a simple Lion bug/issue?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Yes, same story here. The WiFi on my 27" 2011 iMac behaves erratically. I didn't notice any issues when running Snow Leopard, it only started with Lion.

No problems so far with the 2009 MBP running Lion.

iHutch105

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
I've noticed this too.

Wifi still shows as connected but web pages won't load. Turning it off and then on again resolves.

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
Same here when upgraded to Loin, I had to delete the WIFI profile to get connection back every time. I didn't find any solutions so I'm back using SL.

thats nice

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2006
Same here. WiFi issue, happens at home and at university.

Fortunately I just turn it off, then when i turn it back on it re-connects :)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It happens on the white MacBooks as well. The router isn't the issue as I'm using a 2wire router (eh) and my iPhone and PowerBook (file server) have no issue on it when the problem is presenting on my MacBook.

Another (related?) bug for me is that I can turn on/off wifi in the menubar but it never actually does anything. Ex. If I turn it off in the menubar it shows it as off but when I go to System Preferences > Network it shows it as still connected. To resolve the wifi issue connectivity I have to turn off/on wifi through System Preferences.

Last edited:

jji7skyline

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2011
Same! My iMac 2011 2.5Ghz 21.5" keeps disconnecting from wifi, but the icon says it is full strength.

I have 10.7 (Lion) but it re-connects when I run diagnostics :p

slazareth

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
If your Mac is losing internet connection but wifi still says its connected, try giving yourself a manual IP address. I did this and the issue disappeared. However now I have a less frequent issue of wifi completely disconnecting at random.

hfthomp

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2008
My new 2010 iMac is having this same issue with Lion. I have given it a manual ip and the problem still persists.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
snip

No problems so far with the 2009 MBP running Lion.

My 2009 24" with Lion 10.7.1 works fine as does my 2010 MBP Pro. I have not updated my 27" 2010 and I guess I won't until people are comfortable this is resolved.

My new 2010 iMac is having this same issue with Lion. I have given it a manual ip and the problem still persists.

That makes sense. The problem is with the wifi connection itself not DHCP so the IP address has no impact on stability.

Cheers,

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
On mine all was fine untill the last firmware update 1 month ago :mad: now the wifi works fine but every "awake" is not connected. I've to do it manually :mad: Or after 4-5 minutes it connects again and alone… :confused:

MacBill

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2010
Western Montana
My iMac Intel 27" dumps the WIFI connection almost every time I leave it for more than a couple of minutes. It shows it is disconnected tho, unlike some who are complaining it shows connected but isn't. I wish Apple would get this problem fixed already.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
I've had a similar issue with my mid-2011 27" iMac, but only when running Windows 7 under Bootcamp. Wifi says it's connected, but web pages don't load. When I select to troubleshoot problem, it resets my router (Early 500GB Time Capsule) then it all works. How many of you having this problem have older TCs? Just wondering if that could be related to the problem.

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
I just installed the new Wi-Fi update on my brand new iMac running 10.7.3, and my issues are solved. In OS X and Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit SP1. I'm using a brand new AirPort Extreme (5th Generation Dual-Band) that I bought last week.

jpbuos

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2012
Still have problem

May 2011 iMac running latest version of Lion still losing intenet connection with wifi. All other iphones, ipads and pcs in the house work with the wifi no problem. Deleted passwords in keychain and it helps temporarily. Why doesn't anyone think it's a hardware issue in the Mac since it's not a problem with every imac sold?

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
Apple continues to dance around this issue but it is obviously a Lion problem. Never EVER experienced this issue until upgrading to Lion.

Any ideas when Apple will find a solution? Annoying.

jvn1

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
I updated my 2011 iMac to the Gold Master of Mountain Lion a 4 days ago and haven't had any wifi issues yet. Hopefully its all fixed now.

jim468

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Same! My iMac 2011 2.5Ghz 21.5" keeps disconnecting from wifi, but the icon says it is full strength.

I have 10.7 (Lion) but it re-connects when I run diagnostics :p

I have a 27" iMac with the exact same problem. Were you able to get yours fixed?

tuttiMacfrutti

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
Me too...got mine replaced

I have been dealing with the wifi issues with my mid2011 imac since I bought it in March. Took over 4 months, trips to the genius bar, countless phone calls with AppleCare, sending capture data to the engineers...and what I was told is that it is a known issue with this model to which there is currently no resolution. They suggested that I use the ethernet cable.
Eventually, they decided they would replace my machine. Switched back to the 15" MBP. What a bummer....since I really LOVED the iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.