Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Claims of media event and launch dates for the iPhone 5 have quickly accelerated as attention turns toward the window for such an event, which is likely to open in just a few weeks. Just today, a claim of a September 7th media event appeared and was quickly debunked, and other rumors of an iPhone 5 launch for September or even as far out as late October have also been swirling.

iphone51.jpg

TiPb now weighs in with a claim that Apple's next-generation iPhone "could" debut on Friday, October 7th in the United States, although the source for the rumored date is unclear. The report also suggests that the next iPhone is more likely to be an "iPhone 4S" based on the iPhone 4 than a completely revamped "iPhone 5", although it acknowledges that there is still considerable confusion over the issue and that Apple could be preparing to release both models.
Apple's next generation iPhone, be it an iterative "iPhone 4S" or a completely revamped "iPhone 5" could go on sale October 7 in the US. That's a Friday, which isn't uncommon for iPhone launches.
According to the report's source, Apple will not be introducing a new iPad this fall, having decided to push things back to the original yearly timetable and release the iPad 3 early next year.

TiPb has not been a source for product rumors in the past and expresses a healthy amount of skepticism about its own report, and so we are covering this story on our iOS Blog for the time being.

Article Link: Even More Claims: iPhone 5 Launch on October 7th, No iPad 3 Until 2012

iSheahan

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
:(

My iPhone is dying... I was hardly able to wait for the rumored mid-Sept launch. Any longer and I may die of anxiety. Oh, well. We never really will know until Apple launches, I guess.

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
This is getting hilarious. Announcement coming in September, available soon after. As you were people.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
TiPb has not been a source for product rumors in the past and expresses a healthy amount of skepticism about its own report, and so we are covering this story on our iOS Blog for the time being.

I guess you could say

*sunglassses*

they were out of their element.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

For me, this is one of the more plausible rumors.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don’t take any of these rumors very seriously, but my common sense likes this one!

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Apple's next generation iPhone, be it an iterative "iPhone 4S" or a completely revamped "iPhone 5" could go on sale October 7 in the US. That's a Friday, which isn't uncommon for iPhone launches.

Yes, yes it could (I suppose).

It Could be an iPhone 4S or it Could be an iPhone 5
It Could be September or it Could be October
It Could be on Friday or it Could be a different day of the week
It Could be a thinner design or it Could be the same design

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Anyone who really thinks there would be a 3rd gen iPad in 2011 needs to pass whatever they're smoking this way.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
These flying rumors are great examples of where one should wait and find out more information before opening their mouth. I think I've seen about 4 articles just today about this? Hah. Rumors or not, it's ridiculous (and amusing :) )

I bet :apple: is reading this and laughing their a**es off right now.

We have about 10 different possible combinations of rumored releases happening in the next 6 months. iPhone (insert number and or letter(s) here) in September/October, iPad (insert number and or letter(s) here) in September/October/Winter/Spring, etc. No one has any idea about designs -or names- obviously, except the ARM processor. I'd say we haven't learned anything new since after the iPhone 4 was released, except that there was no summer release. Because it's August now.

Notice how there have been NO rumors about any new iPods? Everyone's so caught up with the next iPhone it's just depressing.

I say wait until it actually happens. It'll save the anxiety.

Last edited:

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
Apple is has more rumors planned on september 7 2011, iRumor 2 will be released next year with a possible upgraded untrue engine.

---------- Post added at 23:10 ---------- Previous post was at 23:09 ----------

naah that was just a rumor too....

*gasp* You mean when Apple said that 2011 was the year of iPad 2, it could have been telling...the truth? I'm shocked! Shocked, I say! :rolleyes:

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
Depending on the prices and features, the iPhone 4s may be a good buy for those of us on the "odd numbered" phone plan (original -> 3GS -> ?).

Unlike the tablet arena, there is a lot of competition in the phone market. It would be nice for Apple to extend their pricing to a wider range with maybe a free/prepaid 3GS, a low priced iPhone 4, and a top of the line iPhone 4s (or 5).

That would help compete with some of the low-spec, low-cost Android models out there.

As far as the iPad 3 goes, I would rather see more work on iCloud services and iOS 6 honestly. I think the iPad 2 is a great match for iOS 5. No need for new hardware right now, especially with the lackluster competition.

soapsuds

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

As much as I'd love to have a 2048x1636 iPad 3, I just can't see how Apple could possibly get a screen like that plus the graphical power to run it and enough battery to power it for 10 hours at any kind of consumer price. I guess the fact that they're already selling a device with a 9.7" IPS display for $500 is pretty amazing, when $2000 laptops don't even have IPS.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
These rumors are getting more annoying than usual... Flip flopping too fast for me!

I agree. Like most people, I enjoy a good MacRumor. But when claims and counter-claims fly every 12 hours it gets annoying pretty fast.

On the other hand, I think we can glean one thing from all this: Apple is NOT letting the same iPhone 4 debacle happen again! They've probably got the "iPhone 5" on lock-down like never before :cool:

I think the key is to never get your hopes up haha

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
Apple is NOT letting the same iPhone 4 debacle happen again! They've probably got the "iPhone 5" on lock-down like never before :cool:

I think the key is to never get your hopes up haha

Interesting commentary. Debacle, you say? Is that what you call it when a company releases the best smartphone on the market?

If you owned an iPhone 4 and used it on a daily basis you wouldnt be singing this tune. It's still the best smartphone out there for my money. Best screen, best battery life, best apps. Enough said.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Interesting commentary. Debacle, you say? Is that what you call it when a company releases the best smartphone on the market?
He was referring to the premature design reveal due to a prototype of the iPhone being lost/forgotten/stolen in a bar by a poor Apple fella named Gary Powell (iirc). Gizmodo eventually aquired the device and presented it to the public before official introduction. This time Apple obviously won't let that happen again...

mrelwood

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
No need for new hardware right now, especially with the lackluster competition.

Unlike Samsung, HP and the rest, Apple doesn't seem to develop new products because of the competition. Just look at Mac Mini, AppleTV, iMac, MacBook Air, iPads, iPhones. The last two are markets that Apple created.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.