Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

focaccio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
San Diego
Is there a simple way to program a key (or key combination) to perform a function within an application?

What I want to do is hit a key (or key combo) to execute a sort in open office. Currently I have to navigate the mouse pointer to Data, click, then select Sort.

Thanks,
Greg

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Are you sure that there is no shortcut for that function? Most shortcuts can usually be found from Menu Bar and in the Help section.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
If there isn't one already, you can set a shortcut to any menu bar item of any app in System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts.

focaccio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
San Diego
Thanks for the responses.

I see key combo shortcuts for many open office functions but not sort. Even if there was one, I want to learn how to assign application functions to keys or key combos.

I tried the keyboard shortcuts in system preferences. That looked promising, but I could not get it to work. For Menu Title I need to give it the exact name of a Menu Command? What is it a Menu title or a Menu Command? I put "Sort" and assigned it to a key...but no luck.

Is automator good for assigning application functions to keys or key combos? It seems like overkill for what I want to do.

Thanks

focaccio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
San Diego
One Key for System Preferences Network

Another "one key" question. How can I assign a key or key combo to get the Network config window in System Preferences to appear?

I tried the keyboard shortcuts in system preferences. I did services, add, application system preferences then menu title network. This did not work.

focaccio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
San Diego
OK, I am now able to get the Network config display to appear with a key-combo, but only after System Preferences is already the active application.

How can I assign a key-combo to launch System Preferences? Currently I type: [control-space] sys [enter].

So it has to be a two step process? One key-combo for the app and another key-combo for the app function?

Thanks,
Greg

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
Keyboard shorcuts like this only work when the app is open obviously. I use Spark to launch apps using shortcuts.

focaccio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
San Diego
The One Key Answer is Quicksilver

I'm not a paid spokesman for Quicksilver, found free of charge here, but it is the exact solution I needed. Automator probably does the same thing (and to be fair I have not tried it yet), but with Quicksilver (very intuitive) I was able to assign a hotkey to launch the Network Preferences panel in no-time.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.