Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaspitzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
This my first post and im new to this site so i dont know if anyone else has posted something like this before but i didnt find anything. Excuse my "noobness" if someone has tho.

So I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 and the led light is always on or flickering. Sometimes it's dim sometimes bright. I also noticed it's pressure sensitive so when I squeeze the phone near the camera and led the light may get brighter or shut off until the squeezing stops. I tried springflash to turn it off but it doesn't help. The light stays on even when the phone is off. Even when I do a manual reset the light stays on. This happened to me once before but the problem went away after I restored the phone but now it's back. Has anyone else had this issue? What should I do? Is this a consequence of jailbreaking? Please help!

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
There was someone on here that had an issue similar to his, try searching for his post. I'm not sure how he got it resolved, if he even did. If all else fails, take it to an Apple Store.

Jaspitzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Well can you give me a link to that? I can't find it anywhere and I have searched. I saw one person's phone was unresponsive and his led light was on but that isn't my issue. I have full functionality of my phone. I can even use my flash and springflash (the light normally gets to full brightness).

So can anyone help me? Or am i going to have to restore and see if I need to take to the Apple Store. Has anyone else had this issue?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
That sounds like a short, ie hardware fault.

There isn't anything software-wise that you could hack/break/change that would make it pressure sensitive. That would definitely be a "feature" that people would be exploiting somehow.

Jaspitzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Then why did it go away the first time when I restored my phone? I guess since no one else really has this problem it's probably unique to my phone.

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
I would suggest that you make sure you save your SHSH and then restore to factory settings. Keep it that way for a while and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't then you're probably screwed because you'll need to take it to Apple. Make sure you're restored to an Apple firmware (4.0.2) since taking a jailbroken phone to them will result in them telling you you've voided any warranty. They might repair it (good for you), or they might replace it. Even if they repair it, it might have new guts with new SHSH. If your repaired phone has new SHSH, then you're screwed for jailbreaking until 4.1 and even then only if there is a jailbreak released for it.

If your problems go away with the (unjailbroken) Apple firmware, then try to jailbreak again. Don't add any new apps until you can confirm that your LED problem doesn't reappear. Then add apps one at a time until either everything is fine or you identify the offending app.

chuckvideo

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
Los Angeles
My iPhone 4 is doing the EXACT SAME THING this morning. The LED light is always on or flickering, even when powered down. When I squeeze the case the light brightens, flickers or occasionally goes off for a while. What did you end up doing to fix the problem? (running IOS 4.1 on my iPhone 4, not jailbroken)

So I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 and the led light is always on or flickering. Sometimes it's dim sometimes bright. I also noticed it's pressure sensitive so when I squeeze the phone near the camera and led the light may get brighter or shut off until the squeezing stops. I tried springflash to turn it off but it doesn't help. The light stays on even when the phone is off. Even when I do a manual reset the light stays on. This happened to me once before but the problem went away after I restored the phone but now it's back. Has anyone else had this issue? What should I do? Is this a consequence of jailbreaking? Please help![/QUOTE]

Jaspitzer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
There was no solution to the fix. I restored my iphone and took it into apple. They gave me a brand new iphone on the spot. They were cool enough to remove the back of my phone and put it on the new phone because I have an SGP leather skin on my iphone. so it was all pretty easy and I'm just not going to download that flashlight cydia tweak this time.

AJKing

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Same problem here except mines not jail-broken. Any solutions besides taking it to Apple for a new one?

Squeezing definitely does effect it, but not necessarily always a positive effect and it is very temporary.

Also, if I wait for the 4S (likely in Sept); will they give me new 4S or a 4? Not that this isn't annoying but should I bear with it to get the newest for free?

Last edited:

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
Same problem here except mines not jail-broken. Any solutions besides taking it to Apple for a new one?

Squeezing definitely does effect it, but not necessarily always a positive effect and it is very temporary.

Also, if I wait for the 4S (likely in Sept); will they give me new 4S or a 4? Not that this isn't annoying but should I bear with it to get the newest for free?

you'll get the same phone you paid for. *sigh*.

AJKing

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Incase someone reads this who is having the same issue: I waited a few days rather than going immediately to the Apple store. It turned off at some point and hasn't given me problems since. Crossing my fingers :/

sohaibkhan

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Iphone light out

Hi guys i'm very worried bcoz when i use my iphone in dark room mean without lighting room,its light out so kindly help me plzzzz

AJKing

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Back up your phone on your computer using iTunes, then go to your nearest Apple store if possible for a replacement. If there's no Apple store near you then you'll have to call them to arrange for a new one to be sent by courier. This is assuming your still under warranty; if you aren't, still give it a shot.

sohaibkhan

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Iphone light out

Sir i cant replace it i u have any solution plzzz help bcoz i dont have more money to replace plzzz help i'm worried......

AJKing

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
What I'm saying is that if you bought the phone less than a year ago then Apple will most likely give you a new one for free. No cost to you, just make sure you back up your phone first or you'll lose all your contacts, apps, settings, etc.

sohaibkhan

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
IPhone backlight

Dear Friend this is not europe,i live in Pskistan here is no Apple agnecy,so i just want a solution of that problem.....

binjunior.apple

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2011
iPhone 4 flashlight stay on

HI, i figure out how to fix that annoying problem, I know for sure many people has been bothering by this trouble.it's easy remove the black shield on the right side of the camera remove five screws, each one has a different size, after that unplug the camera ribbon form the main board and remove the camera from the iPhone after that just put a tape or any kind of adhesive in the golden part leaving only a little part on the edge without adhesive, then place the camera and all the parts in the right place, you are done!!!!!
I've done it in over 5 iPhones and all had worked, I hope that's resolve and help everybody. :)

Attachments

• Back iphone 4.JPG
    Back iphone 4.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 19,386
  • Iphone 4 camera.JPG
    Iphone 4 camera.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 170,810

binjunior.apple

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2011
Resolve iphone 4 flashlight won't turn off

HI, i figure out how to fix that annoying problem, I know for sure many people has been bothering by this trouble.it's easy remove the black shield on the right side of the camera remove five screws, each one has a different size, after that unplug the camera ribbon form the main board and remove the camera from the iPhone after that just put a tape or any kind of adhesive in the golden part leaving only a little part on the edge without adhesive, then place the camera and all the parts in the right place, you are done!!!!!
I've done it in over 5 iPhones and all had worked, I hope that's resolve and help everybody.
:)
This my first post and im new to this site so i dont know if anyone else has posted something like this before but i didnt find anything. Excuse my "noobness" if someone has tho.

So I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 and the led light is always on or flickering. Sometimes it's dim sometimes bright. I also noticed it's pressure sensitive so when I squeeze the phone near the camera and led the light may get brighter or shut off until the squeezing stops. I tried springflash to turn it off but it doesn't help. The light stays on even when the phone is off. Even when I do a manual reset the light stays on. This happened to me once before but the problem went away after I restored the phone but now it's back. Has anyone else had this issue? What should I do? Is this a consequence of jailbreaking? Please help!

thedoor1

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
I did the repair recommended and it worked great. Don't forget to pull the camera ribbon connector out gently before trying to pull out the camera. I used standard black electrical tape cut to the right shape. All in 15 minutes and problem solved. THANK YOU BINJUNIOR

I've done it in over 5 iPhones and all had worked, I hope that's resolve and help everybody. :)

tdignj

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2011
HELP! iPhone 4 LED light won't turn off

I have the same problem and would love to try this fix......but how do you take off the back of your iPhone 4s?

MacBreezy

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I had this same problem with my iPhone 4s. I didn't freak out or jump on Mac rumors and beg for someone to help. I called Verizon, they overnighted me a brand new phone. Problem solved. Using just a touch of common sense will save you a lot of time.:rolleyes:

jcmelbau

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2004
I had this same problem with my iPhone 4s. I didn't freak out or jump on Mac rumors and beg for someone to help. I called Verizon, they overnighted me a brand new phone. Problem solved. Using just a touch of common sense will save you a lot of time.:rolleyes:

Wow!! Why didn't I think of that?.. Oh yeah!! I'm out of warranty on the phone... Maybe give some more thought to your post before criticising others....

The fix works BTW, thanks heaps binjunior.apple.

loveuapple

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
i had the same problem and might have a solution

i was so desperate about the same problem and someone brought up this solution 2 me.

the question is if u installed the app "i`m busy sms"
if you did i would b able 2 give u the solution....

u'll need to go over the app's (i'm busy sms) settings.
u'll see that the flash light setting is turned off , u should turn it on.
than turn the power off and turn it on.
turn back to app's settings and turn off flashlight.
turn the power off and on again and u'll get your "original" iPhone back!

robert93727

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
I Figured mine out!! :)

I fixed mine by removing the camera as you have stated. After inspecting the camera, I noticed that there are two pins or tiny resistors on the back side of the goldish tab in your photo. One had a tiny bit of corrosion that was only visible with a magnifying glass. I cleaned it by gently rubbing it with a toothpick and vwala..Fixed.

NOTE: You can see the two pins right next to the camera after removing the back glass. You don't have to remove anything else. Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.