Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wick12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
I'm just wondering how many of you went from a MacBook Pro to a new Air. In particular I am looking at the 11 inch Air. The reviews have been great and I have an external display to hook it up to and would really enjoy the portability of the 11 inch. The only thing is I really don't at all "need" it as I have a 2010 13 inch MacBook Pro. I would probably end up losing around $300 on selling my pro and getting the air. I am curious to know how many people were in my situation and got the air and what your thoughts are.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I went from the same computer. You didn't give much information though so it'll be hard for anyone to help you.

I kinda doubt you'll be able to survive on (what I'm guessing would be) 64GB of hard drive space, no SuperDrive, ect. Unless you added more money of course. Problem is your comp will only sell for about $800 tops.

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2006
I went from a MBP to a MBA, but both 13". Honestly, I'm still unsure if I made the right decision. I LOVE the benefits of the Air such as the SSD (I got both Samsungs for the SSD and Panel), the higher resolution screen, and of course, the size of the notebook itself. At the same time, I preferred my old MBP screen, because of the colors, the built-in SuperDrive (to watch DVDs on flights, and to burn a few home DVDs), and the fact my MBP seemed to run cooler. When I am FaceTiming, the fan seems to go nuts on my MBA, it didn't go that high with the MBP. So I'm still not sure I made the right decision, but I do like my Air.

Wick12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Yeah the resale of my MBP is the main reason why I am leaning away from getting the 11 inch i5/128.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
I went from a (base) 13" Macbook Pro to a top 13" Air, and it was a great switch. I like the better screen resolution, the SSD speed, all the other selling points.

I don't know if you'll be happy going down to an 11" from that machine tho. I considered that. I find the 11" too small for a primary machine.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I went from a 2010 15" MBP to a 2010 13" MBA and then to this 2011 11" MBA. I've always wanted the 11" but the processor was just a little too slow for me, so I went with the 13" for my first Air.

But the reason for my change still was the same: I wanted something that was much smaller/lighter to take to school everyday. While the 15" wasn't too bad, once I added textbooks and notebooks into my bag, it definitely got noticeable. And realistically, now that the power of the MBA i7 is the same/better than the 2010 MBP i7, I'm not losing any raw power. The graphics was a downgrade, sure, but I decided to dedicate my MBA to school and very, very light games.

In the end though, I love my MBA, especially the 11". The portability alone just makes it so much easier to pick up and go, even compared to the 13", which was already super portable.

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
And??? I would much rather have the prior.

weight was an issue.

laptop alone, it was fine. once you started adding books in your bag, the weight became a bit too much. mostly when i have to walk across campus. maybe later on i'll need the power of the 15" but right now, the most intensive thing i do is watch a HD movie while typing papers. lol i know, not that "pro" like.

forgot to mention, i also don't game on my comp so the GPU wasn't a big deal to me.

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I preferred my old MBP screen

Yeah I returned my MBA 13 because of that, I preferred using my MBP 13" and it's fan-like noisy HDD. The MBA is really great all around but I just hate loosing on display quality: in the end, when I use a computer it's the screen I'm staring at.
Besides, considering my screen use (fullscreen apps ftw) and the fact that I often had to zoom on text, the resolution loss of the MBP doesn't bother me (too much).
On the 11" I guess the loss of vertical space would annoy me more than I appreciate the hi-res.

Then there's the extreme portability, that's up to you.

Nothing stops you from trying one for 14 days, that's what I did, but it probably isn't always so easy to get your cash back though.

seepel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
I went from a 2009 15" 2.8GHz C2D 8GB 160GB SSD to an 11" ultimate. Overall I'm pretty happy. I mostly use an external monitor and though the 11" screen itself does feel cramped, I don't feel particularly more cramped than on my pro. I think the biggest drawback is the battery, so consider how much that extra battery life is important to you. Don't you just wish they got rid of that silly wedge, and filled the empty space with more battery?

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
I went from a 2009 15" 2.8GHz C2D 8GB 160GB SSD to an 11" ultimate. Overall I'm pretty happy. I mostly use an external monitor and though the 11" screen itself does feel cramped, I don't feel particularly more cramped than on my pro. I think the biggest drawback is the battery, so consider how much that extra battery life is important to you. Don't you just wish they got rid of that silly wedge, and filled the empty space with more battery?

How much run time are you getting (on average) on battery?

xeonbot

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2011
Earth orbit
I went from a 15-inch 2010 2.66GHz i7 MacBook Pro with 8 gigs of RAM to a 13-inch i5 and couldn't be happier.

The Air is faster, lighter and oh-so-very-much-sexier. Computing with this puppy is an absolute joy.

Yes, the screen is smaller and lower quality, but I prefer the reduced size for mobile use, and everything's the same back at HQ when hooked up to my external display.

For higher-end users who need the graphics power, etc. the Pro remains the better choice. But for most people the Air is simply perfect.

Thank God for Apple is all I can say.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I went from a17" MBP to an 11" MBA.
Mainly because I didn't had soo much need anymore because I bought an iMac.

So I gave the MBP to my wife and have now a Windows free zone.

The MBA is nice for my commuting; can use it while sitting in the bus to work.

Patrick B

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
I'm actually thinking of going back the other direction.

I had a 17" MBP + iPad that I used as my travel combination. Worked well...on long, overseas flights I could use the iPad for movies and some games, and I've always been a big fan of having the highest resolution screen I could get.

But it was a huge pain going through airport security, and my shoulder isn't what it was 20 years ago.

So the last time I was in the US, I picked up a loaded MBA 11", thinking it could replace the iPad, AND handle some of my workload.

Unfortunately, I found the 11" MBA (2010 model) a little underpowered, and just a tad small for my tastes. So I swapped it for a 13" MBA fully loaded, and have been using that as my primary machine ever since.

Work also provides me with a 15" MBP. That machine has mostly sat at my desk at home doing very little. Because it's a work machine, I'm hesitant to load up my iTunes music, and other media, games etc on to it. Not a fear issue...just a preference. I'd rather not become dependent upon a machine that I don't directly own (work could decide, for example, that they won't supply Macs, and will only supply Windows PCs going forward).

However, on the road, I've found that the 13" MBA is still somewhat underpowered for what I'd like. I prefer the extra HP of the Core i5 in my 2010 MBP (work), and the dedicated graphics chip (occasionally I'll play some games back in the hotel room).

I also find I prefer the glossy display on the MBP, and this is going to sound silly, but typing and using the touchpad on the 15" MBP just feels more 'solid' than on the MBA.

So I'm actually leaning towards going back the other way....picking up a loaded, 15" MBP (high-res glossy display version), and an iPad2 as my travel companions.

To me, the greater capabilities (storage, connectivity, etc) outweigh the greater weight of the 15" MBP vs the 13" MBA.

If the new 13" Core i5 MBA had come with an 8 GB RAM option....that might sway me though. Too bad.

Patrick

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
I'm just wondering how many of you went from a MacBook Pro to a new Air. In particular I am looking at the 11 inch Air. The reviews have been great and I have an external display to hook it up to and would really enjoy the portability of the 11 inch. The only thing is I really don't at all "need" it as I have a 2010 13 inch MacBook Pro. I would probably end up losing around $300 on selling my pro and getting the air. I am curious to know how many people were in my situation and got the air and what your thoughts are.

I did. Don't miss the 15" MBP at all. Too big and heavy for me. Hardly use the optical drive. And to keep my MBA running clean, I refuse to install Windows, and I refuse to install Adobe Flash Player.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Yeah I returned my MBA 13 because of that, I preferred using my MBP 13" and it's fan-like noisy HDD. The MBA is really great all around but I just hate loosing on display quality: in the end, when I use a computer it's the screen I'm staring at.
Besides, considering my screen use (fullscreen apps ftw) and the fact that I often had to zoom on text, the resolution loss of the MBP doesn't bother me (too much).
On the 11" I guess the loss of vertical space would annoy me more than I appreciate the hi-res.

Then there's the extreme portability, that's up to you.

Nothing stops you from trying one for 14 days, that's what I did, but it probably isn't always so easy to get your cash back though.

It's the display that drove me from the MBP's to the MacBook Air.

The glass on the glossy creates too much reflection, the haze, or 'stretched panty hose' effect on the anti glare isn't great either.

The Air on the other hand is just right indoors or out, no reflection, no haze! :D

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
I did. Don't miss the 15" MBP at all. Too big and heavy for me. Hardly use the optical drive. And to keep my MBA running clean, I refuse to install Windows, and I refuse to install Adobe Flash Player.

Did you go to a 13" or 11" Air?

zzz99

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
I went from mbp15-->mbp13-->mba11-->mba11-2011

CS:source and l4d works great on mba11~ <3 it~

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I went from a 2009 MBP 13 to a 2011 MBA 13. Was thinking about the 11 but for 100 dollars more I got the 13. Happy I got the 13. It's what I am use to and 11 might have been too little for me, also considering I have an iPad.

zzz99

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
It took me along time to decide 11 or 13 as well, but I end up getting the 11" because of the size/weight. I could hold my 11" with 1 hand easy but not 13".

I also got my wife an iPad 2 to replace her 2006 mb, thank you to xbmc. So she can watch movie directly from the nas.

I went from a 2009 MBP 13 to a 2011 MBA 13. Was thinking about the 11 but for 100 dollars more I got the 13. Happy I got the 13. It's what I am use to and 11 might have been too little for me, also considering I have an iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.