Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Craigy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
New Zealand
Was thinking about a NAS for centralised storage and some failure redundancy.

A friend recommended that I took a look at the Synology DS411j. I was considering putting 4 x 2TB drives in.

Has anyone had one of these for a while and recommend it as a good product? - Or is there a better buy out there?

Also, could someone recommend a good top end 2TB for the NAS.

Was thinking that Raid5 would be a reasonable option. Anyone used one of these it that configuration with no issues?

Cheers
Craig

jdelgado

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Chile
Was thinking about a NAS for centralised storage and some failure redundancy.

A friend recommended that I took a look at the Synology DS411j. I was considering putting 4 x 2TB drives in.

Has anyone had one of these for a while and recommend it as a good product? - Or is there a better buy out there?

Also, could someone recommend a good top end 2TB for the NAS.

Was thinking that Raid5 would be a reasonable option. Anyone used one of these it that configuration with no issues?

Cheers
Craig

I do not have a 411j, but a 411+ with 4 2TB drives in. It has been on 24x7 for about a year now, and no issues. The drives are Hitachi. Look at Synology's site for the list of compatible drives. I configured the NAS with each drive as an individual volume. I made this choice based on what I needed to do: archiving, backup, host for iTunes, iPhoto, Sonos. I use two of the drives as main, and the other two are backups.
Hope the above helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.