Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
When checking out my "About THis Mac" section, under storage, I have over 13 gigs of "Other" which I can't account for. How would I discover what it might be? And it's def. not the system because it's 13 gigs of the 121 gigs (out of grand total of 128 GB).

THis is the new 13".

mkelly

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2007
"Other" would include the operating system, any virtual-memory swap files on your drive, etc. In other words, "other" is all the stuff that enables your computer to operate.

Those virtual memory files can be large - usually the same size as the amount of RAM in your machine. For instance, my 2010 11" MBA has a 4.0 GB vm file in /private/var/vm/sleepimage.

Also, any application data files will appear under "Other". I use Parallels to run a few Windows programs, and my Windows virtual machine file is approximately 40 GB in size, which explains why my "Other" category shows up as 56 GB in size.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Hm, but isn't that what the discrepancy between the "usable" storage space and actual storage space is? Isn't that difference for the system and whatnot?

For example, I got the 128 GB, but only 121 GB is usable. Then I suppose my question is, what is taking up 7 GBs from 128 to 121?

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
It seems like the right amount for formatting, but from SL onwards it was counted correctly so a 128Gb drive would have 128Gb or usable space.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
it's file extensions that aren't can't be categorized as movies,photo's,music, etc.

i had a large MKV file that I deleted and it brought "OTher" down because the OS didn't recognize it as a movie file.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Hidden built in Lion restore partition? I wasn't paying attention to the pre release lion stuff but I recall mention of apple implementing this on the new macs.
More than that.
Can you be rid of the partition?
Don't get rid of it, it's less than 700 mb, you will be glad you don't have to wait through a 4-5 hr reinstall later.
it's file extensions that aren't can't be categorized as movies,photo's,music, etc.

i had a large MKV file that I deleted and it brought "OTher" down because the OS didn't recognize it as a movie file.

Good call, it's still not a very accurate representation of what is taken.. if it only recognizes native file types :/

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Hm, but isn't that what the discrepancy between the "usable" storage space and actual storage space is? Isn't that difference for the system and whatnot?

For example, I got the 128 GB, but only 121 GB is usable. Then I suppose my question is, what is taking up 7 GBs from 128 to 121?

Part of the 7GB's is lost to the SSD for garbage collection.

zulumonk

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2009
Large "Other"Amount

I'm also seeing a large portion of my SSD being taken by "Other" files. Does 48GB seem too much?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-13 at 1.10.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-13 at 1.10.12 PM.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 380

qwerf123

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
UK
I noticed this earlier, I've got 121Gb of other and can't rid off it even after indexing.

Would anyone have any suggestions on what it could be and getting rid of it?

I've tried programs suggested above and it doesn't help and AppleCare were useless
Otherwise thinking of reinstalling Lion

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I noticed this earlier, I've got 121Gb of other and can't rid off it even after indexing.

Would anyone have any suggestions on what it could be?
Otherwise thinking of reinstalling Lion
You're saying you used one of the apps I mentioned and they show the 121GB as "other"?

qwerf123

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
UK
You're saying you used one of the apps I mentioned and they show the 121GB as "other"?

No. Strangely, that app states I have about 100GB free but Mac OS fails to say the same and claims my HD is full in the 'about this mac' section and with constant reminders when I try to do anything

I've know for certain it can't be full so I am stumped with how to fix it.

Is there a feature like 'system restore' for windows on Macs so you can turn the computer back to previous settings/installations?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No. Strangely, that app states I have about 100GB free but Mac OS fails to say the same and claims my HD is full in the 'about this mac' section and with constant reminders when I try to do anything
Have you emptied your Trash? Have you restarted your Mac?

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land

I've know for certain it can't be full so I am stumped with how to fix it.

Is there a feature like 'system restore' for windows on Macs so you can turn the computer back to previous settings/installations?

Use Disk Utility to "Erase Free Space" that will probably fix it.

EDIT: Nevermind you can't use "Erase Free Space" on the new MacBook Air's.

qwerf123

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
UK
Have you emptied your Trash? Have you restarted your Mac?

Done this, restarted and allowed it to index but still nothing as changed. I am just gonna reinstall Lion i guess then.

Think I will try out the Lion Recovery Disc Assistant!

babyblues197669

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
Storage files in "other"?

"Other" would include the operating system, any virtual-memory swap files on your drive, etc. In other words, "other" is all the stuff that enables your computer to operate.

Those virtual memory files can be large - usually the same size as the amount of RAM in your machine. For instance, my 2010 11" MBA has a 4.0 GB vm file in /private/var/vm/sleepimage.

Also, any application data files will appear under "Other". I use Parallels to run a few Windows programs, and my Windows virtual machine file is approximately 40 GB in size, which explains why my "Other" category shows up as 56 GB in size.

my "other" is 81.69GB? is that normal? i have been trying to figure out what it is, why it's SO much, and how get more of my storage back?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-24 at 4.50.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-24 at 4.50.17 PM.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
my "other" is 81.69GB? is that normal? i have been trying to figure out what it is, why it's SO much, and how get more of my storage back?
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

babyblues197669

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:

i dont use time machine (never have and it's off) and i tried to delete the sleepmage, but it just reappears? i am going to restart my macbook but this problem i have had probably since i updated to snow leopard? when you upgrade to a new operating system does it override the space the previous system used? or do i have to delete it manually? i will try the disk repair also! thank you SO much for helping me! as you can probably guess i am NOT a pro at this computer stuff! thank you again! :)

babyblues197669

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
i dont use time machine (never have and it's off) and i tried to delete the sleepmage, but it just reappears? i am going to restart my macbook but this problem i have had probably since i updated to snow leopard? when you upgrade to a new operating system does it override the space the previous system used? or do i have to delete it manually? i will try the disk repair also! thank you SO much for helping me! as you can probably guess i am NOT a pro at this computer stuff! thank you again! also how do i restart? should i back up first? or will it be safe and not delete anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.