Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Hey everyone,

I know a lot of people, including myself, were having problems with Lion freezing, mainly when playing Flash videos (mainly from YouTube). I was so pissed off I was considering putting SL back on my computer but figured I would try a couple of things first, and I found something that works!!!! :D

So here is what needs to be done:
1. Open Disk Utility (in spotlight type in Disk Utility)
2. Go through all internal drives (or external if running from it) and either Repair Disk Permissions or Repair Disk (only one or the other will be selectable at a time)
3. Go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/ and select Mac OSX as Operating System and then the only option as the version and download it.
4. Install the Flash Player (it will make you close all browser windows). When installing, you should get a message that says "This version of Flash Player is a beta release on Mac OSX 10.7....." Click 'Yes' (I did NOT get this message when I downloaded it from the normal Flash Player download page.
5. Restart computer.
6. ENJOY! No more freezing!!! :-D

I hope this helps everyone! If it doesn't help you, the only other option I could think of is going to http://www.youtube.com/html5 and joining the HTML version of YouTube so that your mac doesn't crash anymore. Good luck!!

- Joe

r3tro23

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
I've had the same issue. I did what you said let's see how it goes. Anyone else try this? If so, can I get your feedback?

HitmanC

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2010
Solution

just do a clean installation of Lion, i have done it myself and it works like a charm now everything is smooth just one advice after you enter for the first time to the system give it a couple of hours where it can may be warm because the HDD is getting indexed but then it will all come to normal and there is no heat and youtube is working really nice no heat or fan noises, if you don't know how to do a clean installation of lion here is the link with the instructions http://eggfreckles.net/tech/installing-lion-clean/

hope this works for you

P.S. remember to do a time machine backup to recover al your apps and data :cool:

AbeFroman77

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
just do a clean installation of Lion, i have done it myself and it works like a charm now everything is smooth just one advice after you enter for the first time to the system give it a couple of hours where it can may be warm because the HDD is getting indexed but then it will all come to normal and there is no heat and youtube is working really nice no heat or fan noises, if you don't know how to do a clean installation of lion here is the link with the instructions http://eggfreckles.net/tech/installing-lion-clean/

hope this works for you

P.S. remember to do a time machine backup to recover al your apps and data :cool:

I've done 2 clean installations, didn't fix anything.

titan4

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
Freezing issue is not related to flash. It happens with Quicktime and iTunes as well. It however does not happen before putting computer to sleep. If you want to avoid it for now, don't put your Mac to sleep. If you want to replicate it just play some videos after waking up from sleep :)

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
well i did a clean install last week and lion still crashed, so will give this ago!

Not holding much hope though! :(

Will report back.

tom5304

macrumors regular
May 7, 2005
The best way to fix Lion freezing is to revert back to Snow Leopard. It worked for me.

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010

hope this works for you

clean install didnt help one bit for me nor the flash fix. lion still freezing the heck out of me, only remedy seems to be asking apple for a refund of the $30 and go back to good old SL.

Tozzi

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
Munich, Germany
There seem to be at least 3 completely different issues with Lion which all will cause some sort of freezing on machines that work perfectly well under SL.
Looks like some of these can be fixed, the way the OP pointed out, but for the rest of us that won't help.
I'm waiting for 10.7.1. and meanwhile I'll happily stick with 10.6.8.

I won't upgrade anyway, until the "full screen makes my secondary display useless" bug/feature has been addressed as well.
I like most of Lion's new features, but as long as it freezes my machine and castrates my secondary display it's a no-brainer for me to stay away from it as far as I can.

"It just works". Yeah...
BTW the ticket I opened weeks ago (when it still was GM) is still marked "open".
So, don't expect a real fix anytime soon.

Last edited:

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
well what the OP said, seems to be working for me, my mac hasn't crashed on around 4 occasions now where it comes out of sleep and plays any video!

Thanks! :cool:

Although I'm still waiting for it to happen!

The Cat Empire

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Freezing issue is not related to flash. It happens with Quicktime and iTunes as well. It however does not happen before putting computer to sleep. If you want to avoid it for now, don't put your Mac to sleep. If you want to replicate it just play some videos after waking up from sleep :)

I have a Mac Pro and I set my computer to never go to sleep, yet I still have issues playing videos in QuickTime and iTunes. I even tried a fresh install and it does the same thing.

jmorales

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Mine still freezes usually when video is somehow involved

I talked to the support people. They opined that they couldn't help me because I was using Firefox as a browser and they didn't support Firefox. As if Firefox was the problem. Does anyone having the same problem use Safari? Maybe it's worth a shot to go back to Safari...

leeds utd fc

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
Leeds UK
I talked to the support people. They opined that they couldn't help me because I was using Firefox as a browser and they didn't support Firefox. As if Firefox was the problem. Does anyone having the same problem use Safari? Maybe it's worth a shot to go back to Safari...

I use Safari, and I have the freezing issue when the iMac comes out of sleep. Changing the settings so it never sleeps has solved the problem for me, but I'll be glad when Apple get this sorted!

lotones

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
worked for me too...

First three days with Lion were (seemingly) bug infested. After permission repair and a restart things have been mostly hunky-dory for the past month or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.