Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youngeddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Last week my hard drive icon disappeared from my desktop.

My second internal hard drive icon is there, but not the main one.

I've done every version of computer maintenance that I can think of and still no icon.

Meanwhile, my computer is running fine, it just seems like impending doom is around the corner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eddie

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
Before you do that, go to your finder and hit ":apple: ," and make sure the option for the hard drive to be displayed is checked.

youngeddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Still puzzled...

Hi Big Prince, I already checked to see if the option for showing the hard drive was checked and it is. I can see the second internal hard drive icon, so that's not it.

Hi chasbutt, Thanks for your suggestion. I followed the instructions, but when I quit Terminal, as the instructions suggested, I got a warning saying that closing the window would void the procedure. The icon didn't show up...

What do you think???

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Eddie

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
Hi Big Prince, I already checked to see if the option for showing the hard drive was checked and it is. I can see the second internal hard drive icon, so that's not it.

Hi chasbutt, Thanks for your suggestion. I followed the instructions, but when I quit Terminal, as the instructions suggested, I got a warning saying that closing the window would void the procedure. The icon didn't show up...

What do you think???

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Eddie

Well just for ***** and giggles then I would uncheck it and then restart and then check it again and restart.

youngeddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Still no icon...

Hi Big Prince, Thanks for your suggestion. I tried it, but no luck.

Hello chasbutt, if you're still out there, I wonder if you can tell me how quit "Terminal" without canceling the code I put in. I've tried and tried, but I haven't found a way to quit the program without the dialog box coming up saying that closing the window will cancel my instructions.

I await your reply.

Thanks,

Eddie

ToastyX

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2005
Closing a terminal window does not void or cancel the procedure. The commands you enter in the shell execute as soon as you press the return key. The dialog box is simply warning you that closing the window will terminate anything that's running in the terminal window, such as the shell you're entering commands in (bash).

I was going to recommend the chflags procedure, but that's already covered in the article. I can't think of any other reason for the hard drive icon to be missing.

youngeddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Thanks!

Hi ToastyX,

Thanks for the input. I was really confused by that warning.

I've tried running several TechTool repair routines, but no luck there.

I've got a new version of Disk Warrior on the way. I'm hoping that will help.

I'm a busy illustrator and I'm hoping that I won't have reinstall my OS to solve this little riddle.

Thanks very much for writing.

Eddie

Leonharthagans

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Here is what I found out.....

Go to finder
In the toolbar click on Go
then "Go to folder"
type "/volumes"
and drag the HD icon onto your desktop

it may be the alias of it, but it does the job. Hope this helps.

youngeddie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
It's Back!!

Today my new version of DiskWarrior arrived. I ran it and it brought back the hard drive icon.

Thanks very much for your help!!!

Signing off...

Eddie

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
I want to know the opposite. I want to hide my Vista partition drive from showing up on the desktop. I'm new to Leopard.

zdillz

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
Solved!!!!

Here is the solution

here is a script ... open up script editor and paste this in

tell application "System Events" to set visible of disk "Name of Hard Drive" to true
tell application "Finder" to quit
delay 1
tell application "Finder" to launch
delay 1
tell application "System Events" to quit

then change "Name of Hard Drive" to the name of whatever hard drive you want and click run and it will pop up on your desktop!!!

foumanchu

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
missing hard drive

I've just reinstalled osx 10.4 due to the inability to repair permissions.I can now repair permissions but my second hard drive has gone. there's no icon and it does not appear in the disk utility. Any help would be great, this missing hard drive has stored alot.

zdillz

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
Second hard drive

Hey, what kind of hard drive is the second hard drive?
What does it connect with?

SantaFe

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2011
When I go to Finder and "check to see if display Hard drive is checked", I don't find anywhere in Finder where I can see that option. My Hard Drive Icon just went missing quite a while ago and I haven't been able to find any option that would turn it back on. I can drag a new copy onto the desktop but that doesn't explain why it went missing nor give me a proper solution. I have OS 10.6.7 if that means anything.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I just had the strangest thing happen.

Post update reboot and I find that the 'Macintosh HD' icon is missing. Only the icon. The words are still there and if I right click on the words I can still 'Get Info' but the icon shown is a black square with a white outlined plain document icon. Then I noticed that some other icons are 'missing' and the text is still there.

So I get ready to take a screen shot and move some files into a folder and the 'missing' icons reappear. Interesting... But the main hard drive icon is still missing...

Odd...

Anyone else seen this post update? I'll try rebooting and see what happens...

POST REBOOT: The desktop also took a long time to come up the first time but now pops up, with all of the icons, very quickly.

Hmm...

Whatever...

Last edited:

Henil

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
I just had the strangest thing happen.

Post update reboot and I find that the 'Macintosh HD' icon is missing. Only the icon. The words are still there and if I right click on the words I can still 'Get Info' but the icon shown is a black square with a white outlined plain document icon. Then I noticed that some other icons are 'missing' and the text is still there.
<snip>

Same problem after I upgraded my iMac from Snow Leopard to Lion...

Then I used MacPilot* and discovered that when I clicked the (invisible) file '.VolumeIcon.icns' no icon appeared so the file was probably corrupted.

I have a Bootcamp partition and that icon was visible but when I checked there was no '.VolumeIcon.icns' in that disk. So I copied that icon to an external disk (in the finder info window, cmd + i). In MacPilot I checked the external disk (named HD1) and the '.VolumeIcon.icns' was there and I could see the image. I then started the terminal and wrote:
cp /Volumes/HD1/.VolumeIcon.icns /
and then pressed return to copy the 'uncorrupted' file. That made the icon visible again... :D

Observe the space between .icns and /

* = after extensive googling with no real result and trying different utilities.

The corrupted '.VolumeIcon.icns' was 41K but the operational is 128K...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.