Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qqisvip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
I have a Macbook pro OSX version 10.6.8. Recently my brother bought an ethernet cable and connected it to his Xbox for XBoxlive. Soon after, my internet stopped working. AirPort says that I am still connected to my Wifi network, but I can't search the web. Additionally, the wifi symbol on the top right corner of my screen has an exclamation mark on it. My router is a Westell Versalink 327W Model# D90-327W15-06.

On my iPhone4, I am connected to Wi-fi on the same router, and I'm able to access the internet (going on any website).

These are the resolutions that I tried.
-Rebooting the router
-Restarting my MB
-Manually removing and re-adding the IP address
-Manually deleting and re-adding the IPv4 Address, Subnet Mask and Router.
-Manually deleting and re-adding the DNS server and Search Domains.
-Removing ethernet cable from xbox and from router

How can I fix this "wifi on, but no internet" problem?

Last edited:

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
This happened to me today after I had plugged my Ethernet into an Airport Express to configure it.

Just add a "new" network, choose your router and re-enter the password. That's what worked for me.

qqisvip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
This happened to me today after I had plugged my Ethernet into an Airport Express to configure it.

Just add a "new" network, choose your router and re-enter the password. That's what worked for me.

It doesnt work. I ran my diagnostics and this is what came up on my Network status:

Airport: Green
Airport settings:Green
Network settings: Orange
ISP: Green
Internet: Red
Server: Red

I might have to call my ISP and see what's going on.

jrfive0

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
OP: did you find a resolution or the cause of the problem? I'm having the same issue :confused:

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
OP: did you find a resolution or the cause of the problem? I'm having the same issue :confused:

As am I.

I notice that turning Wi-Fi off and turning it on again fixes the problem.

However, the problem resumes the minute you wake the computer from standby/sleep.

Very irritating problem.

MacNOW2

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2011
self assigned IP

:)
OK, had the same problem, here my fix:
Check Keychain and delete the Network you want to connect to. Then start again and hopefully it will work without any problm :D

Bazza90036

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2013
Just figured it out....it's the Airport Password

Was having similar problems to the above thread. Wifi Network was showing it was connected but I could not connect to Internet. Airport Extreme was flashing AMBER.

Modem signal was fine.
Network Prefs showed:

Airport: Green
Airport Settings: Green
Network Settings: Green
ISP: Green
Internet: RED
Server: Red

After checking with ISP and connecting to the internet via Ethernet my ISP told me that there was something wrong with my wireless router (the Airport Extreme).

I ran Airport Utility and and it came back reporting problems.

(IMPORTANT: A few days earlier I had re-set my email password.)

As soon as I updated my "new" password in the Airport Utility...the airport restarted and I was good to go.

It was as simple as entering my new password!!

Hope that helps!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.