Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

awang0830

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
hi, im new to the Mac community, and have been loving my macbook pro, but recently it's been slowing down on me.
After some searching, I'v seen people suggesting to use Onyx to clean up the computer.
I downloaded it, and have it setup + backed up, but what options do i click and what actions should I make to have it operate??
Any suggestions?

ViviUO

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2009
As a general rule of thumb, if you don't know what a certain unction in Onyx does, don't touch it.

Running the daily, weekly, and monthly scripts can't hurt, though. I forget what panel they are under. Verifying and repairing disk permissions is simple enough as well.

DPM888

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2011
I am a recent PC user who made the jump to the MacBook Pro and the experience has been terrific. However, coming from the world of PCs and being in the habit of using security software and disk cleaning software almost daily, I am still in the paradigm that I need to keep doing it. I downloaded Onyx after reading the reviews, but is it necessary?

Do I need a security software?

Do I need any of this software at all?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I am a recent PC user who made the jump to the MacBook Pro and the experience has been terrific. However, coming from the world of PCs and being in the habit of using security software and disk cleaning software almost daily, I am still in the paradigm that I need to keep doing it. I downloaded Onyx after reading the reviews, but is it necessary?

Do I need a security software?

Do I need any of this software at all?

No, and no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.