Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto, Canada
I'm looking for an older version OSX to put on my old Macbook (polycarbonate, intel core duo), which I recently fixed after buying some parts.

Is there any place I could download Tiger or Leopard from?

I called my nearest Apple Store and they said that they don't have Tiger or Leopard (which surprises me because I thought they would be able to do installs on older machines).

I know I could order CD's for 15 bux via phone, but I just don't want to wait forever for delivery, which makes downloading the best option (I don't mind paying).

Anyone know where I would look?
I couldn't find a healthy torrent.
I don't really care if the solution is legitimate or illegitimate, I just want this computer up and running :)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There is no legal place to download Mac OS X. You'll have to order it online (eBay) or from Apple via phone.

Cole JM

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
I'm looking for an older version OSX to put on my old Macbook (polycarbonate, intel core duo), which I recently fixed after buying some parts.

Is there any place I could download Tiger or Leopard from?

I called my nearest Apple Store and they said that they don't have Tiger or Leopard (which surprises me because I thought they would be able to do installs on older machines).

I know I could order CD's for 15 bux via phone, but I just don't want to wait forever for delivery, which makes downloading the best option (I don't mind paying).

I don't really care if the solution is legitimate or illegitimate, I just want this computer up and running :)

People giving you places to illegally download the OS's would be violating the TOS of these forums. Also, Be patient and wait for delivery, do things the right way the first time.

orvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Thanks, I wasn't aware that that was a terms violation, looks like I found someone on Craigslist though!

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
People giving you places to illegally download the OS's would be violating the TOS of these forums. Also, Be patient and wait for delivery, do things the right way the first time.

It may violate the MacRumors terms but morally it sounds ok to me After all the MacBook he fixed came with the version of OS X he's looking to download. :p

Try a Google search for "OS X Tiger DMG" or "OS X Leopard DMG" also try including the decimal version in the search (ex: 10.5.8).

Oh and FYI Snow Leopard works on the Core Duo's (Apple stores should still stock that). Make sure you have >2GB RAM though.

orvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto, Canada
OK GET THIS.

First I bought Intel Tiger CD's from a guy on Craigslist this afternoon.

Next my friend gets back to me on Facebook and gives me his Leopard DVD.

I put the Leopard DVD in to boot it, and it wouldn't fit. Eject button didn't work, so I did a hard eject to find a Snow Leopard DVD!

So now I have Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard Discs. Got them all in a 24 hour timespan.

And you guys told me to wait :p

It may violate the MacRumors terms but morally it sounds ok to me After all the MacBook he fixed came with the version of OS X he's looking to download. :p

Try a Google search for "OS X Tiger DMG" or "OS X Leopard DMG" also try including the decimal version in the search (ex: 10.5.8).

Oh and FYI Snow Leopard works on the Core Duo's (Apple stores should still stock that). Make sure you have >2GB RAM though.

Yeah. I don't see this as ethically unsound either. I've bought quite a few copies of various versions of OSX before (incl. the aforementioned recently found one). Part of the issue is that they're so hard to obtain. This encourages piracy.

Last edited:

throner

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/6.24851/25.729; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Badrottie said:
please arrest orvn for illegal downloading apple software from torrent!

He bought one disc, was given a second, and found a third in his own disc drive. Would you mind pointing out for me exactly where this downloading happened?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011

please arrest orvn for illegal downloading apple software from torrent!

He/she stated that they couldn't find a torrent, so obviously no file sharing took place - intentions don't mean jack.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
OK GET THIS.

First I bought Intel Tiger CD's from a guy on Craigslist this afternoon.

Next my friend gets back to me on Facebook and gives me his Leopard DVD.

I put the Leopard DVD in to boot it, and it wouldn't fit. Eject button didn't work, so I did a hard eject to find a Snow Leopard DVD!

So now I have Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard Discs. Got them all in a 24 hour timespan.

That's hilarious. Glad everything worked out for you.

throner

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/6.24851/25.729; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Maybe that's what Apple needs in OS X 10.8, emotion embedded in the text. Smilies would be obsolete, we'd just sense it.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011

Maybe that's what Apple needs in OS X 10.8, emotion embedded in the text. Smilies would be obsolete, we'd just sense it.
That would be like... TALKING!

iTalking...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.