Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

debonair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
For a couple months now, my java has completely stopped working. I have tried to find the answer numerous times, and the only thing I found was to re-install OS for my mac. I really don't want to go through that.

None of my java applications load any more when they were working perfectly fine a couple of months ago. Is there any way to revert back to the earlier javas/ get it working again, and how I can prevent this from happening again?
My system runs OSX 10.4 (Tiger I believe)

thanks in advance for any help

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
You can always re-apply the latest Java update for your version of Mac OS X (10.4 "Tiger") - that sometimes gets things working again.

debonair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
is there any specific way to re-apply java?

I have tried re-downloading the latest update for version mac OSX 10.4 to no avail

debonair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
it doesn't give an error. In fact it says 'software was successfully installed', but the problems still persist even when I re-start the computer and browser.

Do you suppose there is a way to delete java and re-install it?
I'm completely stumped

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I don't recommend trying that on a Mac, due to the way Java is integrated with the rest of the system. You're likely to break more than you fix. That said... try going into Java Preferences and making sure things are right there. It's in your Utilities folder.

debonair

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
I guess I'm not sure what's 'right' in this case.
When I open up Java under utilities, a folder named J2SE 5.0 holds the Java Preferences.
Under 'Java Version' is listed:
J2SE 1.4.2
J2SE 5.O

J2SE 5.O was originally selected, but I changed it to J2SE 1.4.2 but it didn't seem to make a difference.
I'm guessing there is something else I have to do, but I'm not sure what. Either under the preferences or some other settings I have to manually change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.