Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
My doctor is requiring a blood test that I have to get tomorrow. The last time I had a blood test, with just two of the small vials, I blacked out and fell down the stairs while exiting the building.

Any tips on avoiding this tomorrow?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Last/only time I had one, the nurse gave me a barley sugar (not sure whether that's a local term or not) afterwards which presumably helped immensely, because I didn't pass out :)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
As odd as this may sound, I've accidentally found that a boner helps keep you from blacking out. Hope for a hot nurse. ;)

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
I think it's a problem for me because I weigh so little. I really don't think it's in my head.

At the blood bank here, if you donate blood they give you super sweet juice to keep your blood sugar up.

Re the weight, I don't think two small vials are enough to do it - I'm pretty tiny also, but have never had a problem with blood tests. If you feel faint, sit down with your head between your knees, and that'll (help) keep you from passing out. Maybe if you're concerned, just sit around for a little while afterwards and don't get up and do super-strenuous stuff right away. But like DWburke811 said, it's probably in your head.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I think it's a problem for me because I weigh so little. I really don't think it's in my head.

Oh it is completely in your head. I would say bring a coke with you and drink it after they take the blood. It would get some more blood sugar in you as chances are really good you have to fast.

I know i got light headed when I gave blood (1 pint) and at the time I weighted 150lb. Mix that with the fact I am 6'4" the hieght is a factor. I just got light headed them

Giving blood for a test it is so little blood it should not be a factor.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
As odd as this may sound, I've accidentally found that a boner helps keep you from blacking out. Hope for a hot nurse. ;)

I just wanted to say... You are my hero.

To Appleguy123, take 5-10 min sitting down and sip on a high sugar drink. Then leave but slowly... It may be in your head, but knowing you are taking precautions will help your brain out ease into it.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Don't look at it while they are setting up and doing it. I have drawn blood from people and it is the ones who are staring at the needle going into their arm that get light headed and faint.

Just let them know before hand and don't look. Two vials is not the reason you are feeling faint, it's in your head.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Don't look at it while they are setting up and doing it. I have drawn blood from people and it is the ones who are staring at the needle going into their arm that get light headed and faint.

Just let them know before hand and don't look. Two vials is not the reason you are feeling faint, it's in your head.

Yep, I just look away, mainly so I don't risk flinching, and then look back, to check for green blood in the vial. ;)

I've been poked in my left arm so much in the last 20 years, that my arm automatically goes limp. :cool:

I think 4 vials at one time is my current record.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Last time I had blood drawn, the nurse told me to cough as hard and deep as I could when I felt I was going to faint. This absolutely worked in keeping me conscious.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
I passed out once after donating blood (which I know is a lot more blood than what is normally taken for tests). My problem was that I had had coffee to drink that morning and no water, so I was dehydrated.

I recommend drinking plenty of fluids without caffeine a few hours BEFORE the blood is drawn. Then drink some after, stand up slowly, hold hand rails, and pay attention to the way you feel so that you can sit down instead of falling down.

Oh, and as we always ask around here, please let us know how it turns out. :)

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

This is the big thing.... let them know before hand. They don't want you passing out either. Telling them beforehand should trigger some sort of extra aftercare. Maybe you'll get a chance to test Intell's theory?

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio

Suppose the nurse turns out to be cursed-by-(deity of choice) fugly. What's Plan B? :D

I once had this problem myself from time to time, and I've learned not to look; it helps a bunch. I've also warned the technician not to "dig for the vein"; I'd rather be stuck twice than go through that.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Suppose the nurse turns out to be cursed-by-(deity of choice) fugly. What's Plan B? :D

I once had this problem myself from time to time, and I've learned not to look; it helps a bunch. I've also warned the technician not to "dig for the vein"; I'd rather be stuck twice than go through that.

Same here - don't look. I'm a big baby when it comes to needles, but if I look away, I'm fine. If I look, I get light headed and feel like I'm going to pass out (although I never have).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.