Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I remember reading there is a new firmware out for the appletv. i've been thinking about buying one to run xbmc. is the latest ones jailbreak-able? thanks

Ramiro210

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Maximus, I just bought the new Apple TV upgrading from a modded 1st gen Apple TV running XBMC because that thing got hot enough to fry an egg on so I had to move it onto the top of my media console. Anyway, I bought mine last week and it came loaded with 4.2 firmware so it was easily jailbreakable. I used Seas0nPass to JB it and installed XBMC from there. It's worked like a champ. I have 2 NAS that it connects to and streams everything (right now I've only set up all my TV and Movie collections). So far it's handled everything I've thrown at it to the point that I moved it out of the living room and into my bedroom. I found a slightly used one on ebay just Saturday to go into the living room. These things so far have met my needs to the tee. Super small, cool, works with both my Harmony One (in the living room) and my Harmony 650 (in the bedroom). My main goal is to replace all PC's that were running WMC with XBMC, the ATV2 is a great choice, throw in Netflix and it's money. Sorry if I over-answered your question.

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
thanks for your help! i'll try my luck at a bestbuy store and hope they don't move their inventory as quick. how is navigation using the stock remote? especially to access menus for subtitles and stuff like that?

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
went out and got one that is on version 4.2.1

it appears i can use seasonpass or snowbreeze to jailbreak. which one is better? also how can i restore the custom ipsw when I don't have SHSH for 4.2.1 saved?

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.