Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PPups

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Bought a 2nd gen Appletv yesterday. I would like to stream music from my iMac to my home theater system. My home theater system is 14 years old and I do not wish to change it as it is a $15,000 custom system.

I do not have an OPTICAL AUDIO port on my receiver that is connected to my TV. How do I stream music from my iMac to my receiver in this case? What are my options? Is there a backward compatible cable available?

If the AppleTV does not serve the purpose of letting me stream music to my receiver, I will return it so based on this answer, I will be making a hard choice.

Any ideas? I researched on the web without any answers.

Sandb0x

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011
Bought a 2nd gen Appletv yesterday. I would like to stream music from my iMac to my home theater system. My home theater system is 14 years old and I do not wish to change it as it is a $15,000 custom system.

I do not have an OPTICAL AUDIO port on my receiver that is connected to my TV. How do I stream music from my iMac to my receiver in this case? What are my options? Is there a backward compatible cable available?

If the AppleTV does not serve the purpose of letting me stream music to my receiver, I will return it so based on this answer, I will be making a hard choice.

I gues that you have a digital coax port?? In that case:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B000I98ZQY

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010

You'd need something like this if you don't have digital coax or digital optical:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2

To be honest, and I don't know what your setup looks like, but simply replacing your receiver with a new one might be the way to go - I'm guessing if you have no digital inputs, it probably doesn't do digital surround sound processing nor can handle any HD A/V switching. That shouldn't be too disruptive to your system, either.

I have one of the in-between models from the early 2000s that has digital audio (3 optical, 1 coax), but only composite or S-Video for the video side of things. I just use my TV to switch between HDMI inputs.

BigAudio

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009

If you dont have the digital input, you will need one of the above mentioned adapter boxes.. But if your system is 14 years old, its safe to say, it "was" a $15,000 custom system.

Electronics prices fall like a stone, and although audio holds its value better than video, you would be amazed at what 1500 - 2000 gets you in an audio receiver these days. (even 800 -1200 is good territory)

Good Luck!

craigsharp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Just out of curiosity... why so attached to 14 year old receiver? I'm assuming you have a HDTV or you wouldn't be getting an ATV2. With a new receiver you are opening yourself up to a new audio experience with the HD Audio Files that a bluray has. And you don't have to spend an arm and a leg like you did before. :p

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Remove the optical connection to the tv, and connect it to the DTS system

IE ATV optical To ATV DTS

PS I did read, just had one of those "My brain is disconnected moments"

J

The problem is that the OP's receiver doesn't have an optical input...

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
At 14 years old is your receiver optimized to play high quality cassette tapes? Every sound system that doesn't come in a single box could be considered custom.

I just ditched my 10 year old receiver because it not having HDMI was killing me. Now every device hooked to my tv is HDMI or wireless.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
if you are JUST doing Audio, the AirPort Express will do the job and will be easy to connect to your existing receiver. You would just need an Audio Jack to RCA cable.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If you have cat5 cables between your Mac & Receiver, I bought some little boxes (called balun) that would take (Mac) audio out, pump it through cat5 wiring (one run of cat5) then return it to stereo out. This was around Y2K before :apple:TV's, Airport Expresses, etc. existed, but it did work very well with my old receiver (that lacked all of the modern inputs).

Here's one example: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QgTtnPw5oUU/p_190C5A2/Niles-C5-A2.html

If you go this way, you'll need 2 of them- one on each end. Those I have are more attractive than the one at that link more similar in look to these:

http://www.madisontech.com.au/downloads/products/dl_1_av820.pdf

Note those on that latter page claim to also be able to pump HD component video + stereo audio over cat5. Those (latter ones) look like they actually need twin runs of cat 5 and retail for around $150 each: http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio...deo-balun/ets-hdtv-balun-av822/prodAV822.html If they work as good as the audio only versions that I used, they'll work quite good for older technology.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.