Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koltrast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Does anybody know of a joystick that REALLY works on a Mac.

My old trusty "ThrustMaster" is dying! I bought a Logitech, but that is a piece of crap -- and no support for a Mac either. One firing button does not even work with Warbirds.

Any suggestions people? A plain old simple joystick is all I ask for.

http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/redface.gif

mongrol

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2007
I picked up a Logitech Extreme 3d at Cash Convertors for 15 bucks. its got 12 buttons and every one works out of the box. No special drivers needed.

Koltrast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
ThrustMaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro

It seems that my old ThrustMaster is being phased out -- which explains why I could not find a replacement. But, there is still hope. A few of them are still available in Germany (Amazon.de)!

As for Logitech joysticks -- I still say "blah" -- no software for a Mac and no support from Logitech either. And, IT DOES NOT WORK WITH WARBIRDS!

So, I guess once the last "ThrustMaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro" is gone, we Mac owners will simply have to "stay on the ground".

http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/mad.gif

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Logitech Extreme 3D here too. It doesn't need Mac software. Don't know about Warbirds but it works with everything I have with zero issues.

--Eric

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
I've had several logitechs, they look good, but they die fast. I haven't had one last more than 3 months. The plastic holds up, its having to recalibrate it every 10 minutes. I think they must be using real cheap potentiometers.

I'm currently using a Saitek on my PC for the last 8 months. I haven't had to recalibrate it once. But the plastic is cheaper and looks like it will break eventually. Logitech 3D has a heavier base, the Saitek I have is a little too light. The nice thing about the Saitek is that it can be adjusted for left handed use, unlike the logitech 3D. If the Saitek lasts another 3-4 months I'll buy another. Its lasted far longer than any of my logitechs.

On a lot of sticks or pads you have to get shareware to make them run on your mac. I use usboverdrive, but I havent tried it with the Saitek yet.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
Your other option is CH Products. Pricy, but good. I've been using their stuff since the OS9 days, and no issues to speak of. They're designed for flight sims, so no worries there. I have a Combatstick 568 which works in OSX and XP via bootcamp. Also, I've got a set of Pro Pedals. All USB inputs.

http://www.chproducts.com/

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
I have a cheap Logitech "Attack 3" joystick that I purchased from CompUSA when they were going out of business. It was priced at $19.99. Include their going-out-of-business discount, I spent $15. :) Great for my little X-Plane adventures.

Koltrast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Your other option is CH Products.

Thanks for the tip. I have not even seen these before. But, sadly, no guarantee that they will work on a Mac mini WITHOUT Bootcamp. Anyway, I have a new ThrustMaster on the way from Germany. It should last me another five years!

I'll spend my money on a new Mac mini next spring -- even if Apple doesn't come out with an upgrade. This old PPC is a bit slow for both photography and music.

After that, who knows?

Thanks for all the input, guys.

http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

Phonis

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2009
Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro w/ X-Plane 8 on Mac?

I have a mint Top Gun Fox 2 Pro with the com->USB adapter that I am trying to use with X-Plane 8 on OS X 10.6.2 with no luck so I am flying from the keyboard/mouse.

I tried USBOverdrive and that recognizes all of the joystick controls but X-Plane still does not. If I cannot find a way to get it to work then I will sell the TM and get something that works. If I sell it what's a reasonable price?

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
The New Guy
:apple:

ncc1701d

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2008
Hi, just doing searches before posting a similar thread.

Anyone had any recent luck with joysticks? I'm also looking at gaming consoles (like the "Dual Shock Feedback gamepad") and whatever other cool game controllers there are out there. :)

pbill1

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
You might also consider getting the "Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows" (http://amzn.com/B000KA5T6A) which apparently work with a Mac as well if you use this driver:
http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

I have not used it myself, but I saw a youtube video of a guy who had it set this up on his macbook pro, "Using Your Xbox Wireless Controller On Your Mac" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIu5c9W2DY8

Definitely looks promising, I plan to try setting this up someday.

Edit: Another thread with more info on this: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/636420/

bullfrog24260

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
CH Products or other joystick

I have just downloaded Xplane 9 to my iMac.

CH Products seem to indicate that their joysticks are not so compatible to Mac OS X.

Any advice gratefully received or suggestions for alternative.

Koltrast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Joystick for OSX

The Thrustmaster "used to" work with OSX -- the new one should. Contact:

Guillemot Inc.

180 Varick Street, Suite 820 -New York, NY 10014

Tel: 00 1 646 443 8000

:D

MBABuyer

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
VA
What do I do?????????

I have a thrust master top gun fox 2 from my old toshiba portege. I just bought the new macbook air, and when I plug in the joystick into the computer nothing happens??? I play GE Flight Simulator Online.

I can't even find a page on the computer that shows the joystick is connected (on windows, there is a page that showed it was contacted to the laptop)

Ahhhh!!!!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Logitech Joysticks are HID compliant and work on Mac OS X without the need for any drivers. I know you can use a lot of Logitech Joysticks in Feral games and we never have had any major problems (we had a few small ones over the years if a new stick design is released) but no missing buttons etc

If you have a problem in a specific game I would email the makers of the game it is more likely the problem can be fixed in an update rather than an unsolvable problem with the actual joystick design.

Edwin

ymoridi

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
so does the logitech extreme 3d work without specific mac drivers for the microsoft flight simulator games as well?

Koltrast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Saitek

It seems that Saitek has only programs for Microsoft - PC. Are you sure it works on OSX? Anybody try it on "Warbirds"?

Arctic Owl

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011
Logitech Joystick

What is the PN fro the Logitech you guys are using. The one recommended to me is 963290-0403. I need to know as I can get one from Best Buy, but it says it is only good for a PC, on the box.

Thanks in advance

:)

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
Dualshock 3. works perfectly with 10.6 and 10.7. I use it all the time for mame.

Koltrast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2008
Dualshock 3

Oops! Your Dualshock 3 doesn't have a stick. No stick, no flying ... at least not the way a P-51 is supposed to be flown. I managed to find one of the last Thrustmasters in Germany.... after that goes "kaputt", I don't know what I'll find, may try that Saitek. Remember it is with Warbirds that this stupiid PC Logitech doesn't work. Don't have anything else to try it on either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.